Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to seeing the big ones you now have Spams. Will you be exhibiting them?

D. Arkside

I keep getting asked if I will exhibit Pencarrow. My stock answer is that it's a home layout but one that is being built so that it could be exhibited if I ever feel like taking it out and about. So no but, yes but, no but.

• RMweb Gold

I keep getting asked if I will exhibit Pencarrow. My stock answer is that it's a home layout but one that is being built so that it could be exhibited if I ever feel like taking it out and about. So no but, yes but, no but.

Get it up and running and nearly finished then take stock on whether to exhibit it or not.That Andy Y shot above is superb btw.

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking at this on a phone, so probably not seeing Andy's work at its best, but that view through the bridge looks wonderful.

As our parting gift to Mr York, we agreed that he could photograph the layout before it moves on to pastures new. He's only been bugging us relentlessly for about 7 years.

I understand it will be appearing in the April BRM.

... definitely getting that issue to keep with the other Treneglos articles :) Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking at this on a phone, so probably not seeing Andy's work at its best, but that view through the bridge looks wonderful.

... definitely getting that issue to keep with the other Treneglos articles :)

Hi Rich, Looking forward to seeing how Mr York's shots come out too. I've seen a couple of examples so far and, if they are anything to go by, it should be a good article (at least visually). Just got to write some words now to do the photos justice.

• RMweb Premium

As our parting gift to Mr York, we agreed that he could photograph the layout before it moves on to pastures new. He's only been bugging us relentlessly for about 7 years.

The original plan was for him to photograph it fully set up at a show. The 'last show' idea didn't happen though. Apparently Barnstaple was too far to pop down...

It looked like it wasn't going to happen but then a snow storm intervened and our buyer had to cancel collection before Christmas. The layout has therefore been out of long term storage and sitting in our conservatory for about a month.

Whilst we can't fit the entire layout up, (the room is 8' too short to put up the fiddles) the scenic section could be erected. So, the layout has been photographed and I understand it will be appearing in the April BRM.

The old girl has been on the cover of 3 mags previously.

attachicon.gifrps20180127_141752.jpg

Going to have a quick read to see what we write last time and then try an come up with something different.

A while back I did set three goals for the layout.

1. Do a final farewell show (failed on that one, so Barnstaple will have to count).

2. Get Andy to photograph it (tick).

3. Find a buyer that will give the layout a new lease of life (tick).

Well, according to Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad...

"There ain't no coupe de ville lyin' at the bottom of a crackerjack box".

Nope, me neither.

And to your Cornish I would say: Leun a sylli yw ow skath bargesi

It's all Greek to me.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

As you have probably guessed, both the U1 and 700 are kits. Both were bought off eBay a good 10+ years ago with the intention of running them on Treneglos. The 700 was complete but needed painting - I don't recall off-hand whose kit it is and the box is in the attic. The U1 was in worse state and had been dropped at some stage by whoever started building the DJH kit and was a little mangled. Geoff Cook took it away and straightened it all out, finished the kit and painted it for me. The motor / gearbox combinations in both locos are not great and we couldn't get either of them to run well enough to run on the layout at shows - both either raced off like a scolded cat or sat motionless. Both have therefore spent their lives in my display cabinet. With Hornby bringing out their 700 i doubt there's much of a market for the kit version now....

The only other kit-built 00 loco I have is a T9 built from a Finney kit by Geoff Cook. Runs absolutely beautifully and I prefer it to the Hornby version. The Finney T9 was a regular performer on Treneglos at shows.  

Hi Chris,

If the 700 is brass, it could be a PDK kit?  Bec Models did a whitemetal 700, but a LONG time ago.  I think it was designed to fit (as were many kits then) a Hornby/Wrenn chassis?  So I very much doubt its one of them.

I thought the U1 was probably a DJH job.  Quite a good kit, I built the U version a few years back.  I don't think the locos were successful in the West Country, and were sent back quite quickly?

Many thanks,

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

If the 700 is brass, it could be a PDK kit?  Bec Models did a whitemetal 700, but a LONG time ago.  I think it was designed to fit (as were many kits then) a Hornby/Wrenn chassis?  So I very much doubt its one of them.

I thought the U1 was probably a DJH job.  Quite a good kit, I built the U version a few years back.  I don't think the locos were successful in the West Country, and were sent back quite quickly?

Many thanks,

Dave.

The 700 isn't a PDK, I know that much, it's a lump of white metal.

You're right about the U1s. They arrived at Exmoith Jct on 2 occasions. Once in the 50s as an experiment. Once in '61 as a stand in for the retired T9s. On both occasions they were found lacking with the three cylinders draining the boiler too quickly. Not suited to the NCR.

• RMweb Premium

The 700 isn't a PDK, I know that much, it's a lump of white metal.

You're right about the U1s. They arrived at Exmoith Jct on 2 occasions. Once in the 50s as an experiment. Once in '61 as a stand in for the retired T9s. On both occasions they were found lacking with the three cylinders draining the boiler too quickly. Not suited to the NCR.

U1s were a bit more use out of Yeovil. N's knocked them into a corner on most occasions.

Phartybreath

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

U1s were a bit more use out of Yeovil. N's knocked them into a corner on most occasions.

Phartybreath

Can't believe that after the U1s were a failure in the 50s that somebody thought it would be a good idea to try them again in '61.

• RMweb Premium

Can't believe that after the U1s were a failure in the 50s that somebody thought it would be a good idea to try them again in '61.

Actually I think it was 'U's. Sorry about that, it is my age and the excitement......

T. Oldfart

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

So, here we see TG all loaded up in Simon and Gary's van.

attachicon.gifrps20180128_122608.jpg

As you can see John came over to say farewell and make sure it was loaded properly.

So long and thanks for all the memories...

attachicon.gifrps20180128_122627.jpg

Actually that's quite sad seeing that and knowing what's inside. However, isn't it great that Trenny is becoming a reborn layout. I do hope it goes back oin the circuit. It is one layout I'd travel to see (if I was paid enough.....)

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually I think it was 'U's. Sorry about that, it is my age and the excitement......

T. Oldfart

The occasional U did make an appearance on the NCR, often borrowed from sheds like Yeovil when Exmouth was short of motive power for services. They had slightly bigger driving wheels than the Ns but I doubt the extra turn of speed was that useful on the slow trip to Padstow. I do like a Maunsell Mogul.

• RMweb Gold

The occasional U did make an appearance on the NCR, often borrowed from sheds Luke Yeovil when Exmouth was short of motive power for services. They had slightly bigger driving wheels than the Ns but I doubt the extra turn of speed was that useful on the slow trip to Padstow. I do like a Maunsell Mogul.

I am ashamed to say that as a teenage spotter Maunsell Moguls were regarded as a bit dull. After all, multiple times during the skool day, they would climb up or drift down the bank past the south side of the building, between Deepdene and Dorking Town. Yes, you could cop them during lessons. We longed for more exotic stuff - Schools (see, I can spell it!) or even a 43xx. The occasional Q1 maybe. And when the Manors replaced the 43xx on the daily WR-crewed trip, there was real joy!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well we've just submitted the article for the April BRM. Great memories resurfaced during the process. Enjoyed captioning up Andy's superb photos with John. Sadly readers will also have to suffer a photo of Damian, John and I.

• Like 9