Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

I have been putting together a 'this is what all the parts are and this is how it goes together' set of illustrated destructions for the buyer in a PM thread.

Damian has suggested I share this out on the public thread. Would this be of interest to folk?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We had a great exhibition that day with Treneglos as the centre piece. Myself and Ray very much appreciated that you guys brought TG down to Barnstabubble for the weekend and we certainly had a great couple of nights at the local pubs!

I remember seeing TG at Stafford a few years ago, but at the time did not know you guys very well, but thanks to RMWeb and other shows since with DiTD etc this has changed.

I'm glad to see that TG will continue and that someone else will gain enjoyment. It is always difficult to part company with a layout that you have laboured with over the years and wonder why at times you go through all the long journeys / long days / aching feet on the exhibition circuit, but still sorry to see it go. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

We had a great exhibition that day with Treneglos as the centre piece. Myself and Ray very much appreciated that you guys brought TG down to Barnstabubble for the weekend and we certainly had a great couple of nights at the local pubs!

I remember seeing TG at Stafford a few years ago, but at the time did not know you guys very well, but thanks to RMWeb and other shows since with DiTD etc this has changed.

I'm glad to see that TG will continue and that someone else will gain enjoyment. It is always difficult to part company with a layout that you have laboured with over the years and wonder why at times you go through all the long journeys / long days / aching feet on the exhibition circuit, but still sorry to see it go.

A great show to go out on Richard, thanks for having us. The friendliness of the hosts, interesting folk to chat to during the day and enjoying a good Saturday night out really make a show for me. Yours ticked every box.

• RMweb Gold

I have been putting together a 'this is what all the parts are and this is how it goes together' set of illustrated destructions for the buyer in a PM thread.

Damian has suggested I share this out on the public thread. Would this be of interest to folk?

Is the buyer a RMweb member then, let him shew his face so to speak. ;) 

• RMweb Premium

Although I didn't get to partake of the Barum hostelries, I definitely had a good time that day, getting to operate Treneglos for the first (and last) time. many thanks for letting me loose on the layout.

All the best, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm just painting the fascia on my new layout and was reminded of the green paint on TG that refused to dry. This lead to the fond nick name of Tacky Gloss.

I wonder to this day if it dried - be careful there...

It was no different when we craned your narrow boat into the water even longer ago. The green gloss paint was still tacky on that day, I think there is a theme here.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I'm copying the posts from the PM across to this thread. Takes a while as the photos don't copy and have to be reinserted, so don't worry if there are initially gaps....

First item found...the support for the station board. This goes up first and then the other boards (each with 1 set of legs) piggy back off it. Two boards off the Okehampton side and 4 off the Padstow side.

It starts folded flat like this:

post-6675-0-77012800-1512292100_thumb.jpg

And then you open it out like this.

post-6675-0-98507000-1512292186_thumb.jpg

This is the rear. The two notches in the base are for the base of the metal frame lighting rig.

All the legs have adjustable feet. Set them all to the same datum (say 1") before starting to put the layout up.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

First item found...the support for the station board. This goes up first and then the other boards (each with 1 set of legs) piggy back off it. Two boards off the Exeter side and 4 off the Padstow side.

It starts folded flat like this:

attachicon.gifrps20171202_131051.jpg

And then you open it out like this.

attachicon.gifrps20171202_131114.jpg

This is the rear. The two notches in the base are for the base of the metal frame lighting rig.

All the legs have adjustable feet. Set them all to the same datum (say 1") before starting to put the layout up.

Those rectangular holes were designed to have folded down flaps in side them which were meant to form shelves when the leg set was folded out.

• RMweb Premium

Next out is the small transport box containing the two short ends of the lighting unit fascia. These were necessary additions when we added an extra 4'board at the Okehampton end. Each 2'unit has a light fitting on the rear and a Southern logo on the gloss green front.

post-6675-0-21346900-1512292561_thumb.jpg

They are held in the transport box by 4 bolts, one of which is by the screwdriver tip. To protect the face and transfer they go face to face.

post-6675-0-68963800-1512292625_thumb.jpg

This one fits at the Okehampton end and has a single plug socket. All subsequent lighting units have two sockets and colour coded to fit together, with the power lead coming in from the Padstow end.

post-6675-0-61545800-1512292703_thumb.jpg

Below is the rear of the Padstow end unit showing the power lead connected up - yellow to yellow.

post-6675-0-12368800-1512292762_thumb.jpg

To avoid breakages we always removed the lamps/bulbs from the lighting fixings when transporting the layout. When packing up the layout at shows the first job was to unplug the lighting to let the lamps/bulbs cool down.

Edited to correct me getting the ends mixed up....doh!

• Like 3

It was no different when we craned your narrow boat into the water even longer ago. The green gloss paint was still tacky on that day, I think there is a theme here.

Andy

To be fair I think it was the same green.

We'd been allowed in the workshop overnight to get some paint on before it was delivered early the next cold day. That's my defence M-lord... 

• RMweb Premium

Similar treatment for the 3 original 5'4" long lighting units / fascias. They are stored together in a transit box, faces protected, come out the same way by removing a bolt each end, and have a colour coded plug/socket at each end.

post-6675-0-85653000-1512306757_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-30306300-1512306766_thumb.jpg

The order they go in can be determined by matching the colour coded plug/socket on adjacent boards and also from the Barnstaple photo below.

post-6675-0-17316600-1512293226.jpg

Okehampton end is nearest, with the mill, and the Padstow end near John with the cutting.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Next is the 'toast rack'. This contains the 7 display panels that run along the front of the layout. Unscrew the brass latch that's at the tip of the screwdriver.

post-6675-0-68689900-1512293456_thumb.jpg

Fold the hinged lid back to reveal the 7 panels. Note how they fit in, alternate front to back.

post-6675-0-12118900-1512293511_thumb.jpg

On the rear of each are two metal pegs. These fit into the brackets along the front of the layout.

post-6675-0-50977100-1512293556_thumb.jpg

This one is for the far right end next to the Okehampton fiddle. The joints between boards are covered by other info sheets and fix on with velcro. That's what John is tatting with / finely adjusting in the Barnstaple photo.

post-6675-0-13439800-1512293583_thumb.jpg

As we go on all these transit boxes and bolts may seem overkill but they have been very successful in keeping the layout in good condition. The scars on transit boxes show how rough the exhibition circuit can be.

Edited to correct naming of the ends.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Great memories of TG especially the French trip with Pete and me in the van, with John & Chris in his car with a borrowed sat nav of my son Chris (Sat nav was set to no tolls roads ) which caused some traveling problems in France

The other great memories were the trip to Wadebridge, the pub on the Friday night and the state poor old Fred was in with all those whiskies ( god bless you Fred )

If I remember correctly we decided to walk to the exhibition on the Saturday morning as I think we would all have failed a breath test.

Medication was on hand at the Exhibition, black coffee & PASTIES

Hey Ho Great Days.

Eltel (Terry)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We of course now have at the clubroom a great reminder of Fred with his EM layout Freshwater which has been totally refurbished by a group of club members, and is I believe being invited to both scaleforum events in the near future.

In fact it has prompted a special feature to take place at our 2019 Exhibition with a area dedicated to the railways of the IOW

A great tribute to a wonderful chap, sadly missed

Eltel

• Like 2