RMweb

Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now then, having perfected the 1980s/90s - how's about going back a couple of decades and working your magic on Waverley in the early 60s, so you could then model me behind the bushes in Princes Street Gardens by the tunnel mouth waiting for the sound of a chime as an A4 emerged light to work the Flying Scotsman or the Talisman, and the main disappointment was when the indicator showed a route, and a DMU arrived from Queen Street instead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fear not my friend, the spirit and body of the A4 is very much alive on Waverley West. In fact only this afternoon, 60009 passed through Princes St Gardens to take out a railtour.

Coincidentally I was in Princes St Gardens and managed to catch it just as it passed through The Mound Tunnels, with the sun glinting off its lovingly polished boiler casing...

attachicon.gif60009 3.jpg

attachicon.gif60009 6.jpg

A quick reset of the old time-displacement machine and I made it round to see it arrive in Waverley a few seconds later...

attachicon.gif60009 4.jpg

It then headed out west, passing Haymarket depot an hour or so later (after turning somewhere, not sure where), hauling a rake of West Highland green and cream Mk 1s...

attachicon.gif60009 7.jpg

And in B&W for that authentic look...

attachicon.gif60009 1 BW.jpg

I was going to say "and not a DMU in sight", but I see there's a 105 lurking in the East Yard at Haymarket. Typical.

Cheers

Dave

You''ll have to get a bit more variety in carriage stock, so you can run an SRPS railtour. http://www.srps.org.uk/railtours/

please....

Edited by TheQ

You''ll have to get a bit more variety in carriage stock, so you can run an SRPS railtour. http://www.srps.org.uk/railtours/

please....

I have a rake of Bachmann BR maroon Mk 1s which will pass through the Waverley West Works for railtour use soon I hope. 60009 will look nice hauling those. I also have a rake of Mk 1 Pullmans which are now on the layout thanks to the new fiddle yards. My rake of blue/grey Mk 1s also see use on railtours. I also intend to add a K1/K4 at some point in the future to add variety to the steam-hauled specials.

• Like 1

Rather nice pictures but those two blokes in the office are still having that argument by the look of it .practice for negotitations for DOO?

I haven't quite been able to hear what they're talking about, lms, but it sounds as though one of them is convinced that the track isn't the right gauge for some reason. From what I can gather, I think the other one is saying that it's only a few millimetres out and that it's not really something to get worked up about.

:jester:

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 2

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a quick update on my first rolling stock project for many moons. Most of my modelling time this year has been taken up with the fiddle yards and I am now finally free to get back to the layout itself.

First on the workbench was a minor upgrade to two of my 101s. These have been fitted with York Modelmaking's corridor connections, which greatly improve the appearance of the area between the cars. I've always thought that the gap between coaches looks a bit daft to me, and my layout is as guilty as any here. It seems a much more glaring error to me than any livery or other errors coaching stock may have, yet it rarely seems to get a mention.

I also swapped over the destination blinds on the units, as they run better with the motored DMBs at the Waverley end, due to the complicated trackwork approaching the station. The destinations read "Edinburgh/Dundee" and "Edinburgh/Kirkcaldy".

Finally, all wheels were cleaned and they are ready for service again.

These units usually run as a 4-car unit, hence the tension couplers on the inner cab ends, although all cabs have drivers fitted to run solo when required. 

post-7247-0-41255800-1476261510_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-40814400-1476261513_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-97246200-1476261515_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, all coaching stock will eventually be fitted with these connections over time, although the 107 unit is the only other stock fitted so far.

In other news, a booster unit arrived yesterday, as the connection of the new fiddle yards seems to have caused my Heljan 47s in particular to struggle with the reduced power available. I'm hoping the booster will sort the problem.

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited to change York Modelling to York Modelmaking. Google York Modelling and you get a different type of website.  :mocking_mini:  :mocking_mini:

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 15

great work as usual dave.

incidentally if 60009 was needing turned, i think she could've gone east straight through Waverley and to the Abbeyhill triangle. (if it was all still in place then)

The London Rd Jn / Easter Road Jn link was being removed in June 1989, if that helps - otherwise there's still the Niddrie North/West/South triangle or  Haymarket Central/West/Gorgie Jn !

Alasdair