Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Peter,

The reference to 33s was meant purely in jest and self-mockery after I failed to spot Terry's reference to the Coal Sector "33", as so cruelly and unforgivingly pointed out by Colin.  :jester:

It is funny though that the 33s never made it very far north, at least in BR days, as I'm sure those extra horses would have come in very handy accelerating West Highland trains and the like. I guess they were being kept busy 'darn sarf' in those days.

For some reason, I never took to the 33s in the same way that I did with the 26s and 27s. I guess that can only be to do with where they operated.

Cheers,
Dave

• Like 1

We shouldn't forget that 33025/33030 (I think) were based in Scotland for the last few years of their operating life with EWS, being used as super shunters and for local trip working in the Aberdeen area. They were maintained at Motherwell depot and were moved to/from the North East in the consist of freights. As might be expected, they did appear from time to time on all manner of workings as and when operating desperation required. Another 33 ended up in Motherwell as a source of spares.

OK - I stand corrected - teach me to try and be funny after a couple of glasses of my own Sangria! What was I thinking?

Actually after 2 glasses of my Sangria no-one thinks clearly - IN case anyone else is enjoying the balmy Sussex Summer and wants to to know, here is the  Recipe -  about1/2 of a bottle of good red wine, a very large splash of fresh orange juice , an extremely healthy dollop of Cointreau, 1 fresh orange and 2 apple sliced and left to marinate in the Cointreau for about 20 minutes, then top up with about 500ml of lemonade and an equal volume of ice.

Stir gently and serve, then sit back and watch as guests become steadily merrier while saying "This slides down really easily, Gosh I hadn't realised my glass  is empty"

• Like 2

Hi Dave

Excellent atmospheric photos in the above posts. You mentioned getting to grips with a new camera, looks like that's now well and truly sorted !  what camera are you using now  ?  Nikon perhaps ? 

Regards

Ken

Thanks Ken,

There's no new camera. I'm still using my Canon EOS500D. The focal point setting just somehow managed to reset itself so that it focussed on a single obscure point on the left-hand side of the field of view without me knowing. I eventually tracked down the problem but it took a while!

Cheers

Dave

Hi folks,

A quick pitstop update while I'm here. Modelling time has been at a premium recently for various reasons.

The big news is that D200 is finally ready for testing. Due to a disaster with my normal enamel-based dirty wash dissolving the transfers, the loco had to be stripped down and new transfers applied and then revarnished. Although it's been far more work than I'd hoped, I'm pretty pleased with the results and I think it's going to add a nice bit of variety to WW's loco fleet. Pics to follow soon I hope.

In other news, 60009 has now moved to the top of the workbench project list. The body has been removed and I am now trying to work out how to cram as much weight as possible into it.

The long-absent signal gantry in the station area has now finally been reinstated following repair by the ever-helpful Matt at Absolute Aspects. The surrounding platform now needs gluing down. 

The yard lights at Haymarket depot have also been repainted and reinstalled. I think they are a definite improvement. Will take some piccies.

Otherwise, the railway room has had a good tidy up as it was getting a bit out of hand, so I am now ready to move on to the next big project, which will be the depot buildings.

Hope to be back soon.

Cheers for now,

Dave 

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 3

Don't forget those heady days in the 60s when a highlight at York was the passing through of the double headed 33s on the Cliffe - Uddingston cement train.

It was the only time northerners got to see a 33!

Edited by JCClark
  • Like 2

Just revisiting the Class 33s in Scotland discussion for a moment, I thought you'd be interested to see what I came across this morning 

post-10395-0-43201300-1435129042_thumb.png

Turns out there were some 33's allocated to Scotland, albeit in EWS times, and there are three currently operational  under the auspices of WCRC.

You an read more about it at this link: http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/class+33

Now I'm off to eat some Humble Pie for breakfast!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 6

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about you problems with D200, mine took ages to do as well. The pic of the old girl sat in the sun is superb.

Back on 33s up north a 33/1 and TC unit went up in the 90s and was used for filming one of the Mission Impossible films. Furthest I ever got was to Carlisle on a rail tour with 2 x 33/2s.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

The first ever passenger train to be hauled by class 33s north of the border was Hertfordshire Rail tours legendary "Skirl o' the Bagpipes" from London to Inverness which took place on 31st March - 1st April 1995, 33116 and 33109 were the two locomotives used.  I have a photograph or two of the tour at Stirling, having overcome my initial scepticism on being told that a pair of 33s would be going through Stirling on April 1st!!

Jim

• Like 1

The first ever passenger train to be hauled by class 33s north of the border was Hertfordshire Rail tours legendary "Skirl o' the Bagpipes" from London to Inverness which took place on 31st March - 1st April 1995, 33116 and 33109 were the two locomotives used.  I have a photograph or two of the tour at Stirling, having overcome my initial scepticism on being told that a pair of 33s would be going through Stirling on April 1st!!

Jim

Thanks for that, Jim. What liveries were the 33s in? I can understand your scepticism!

I was hoping that maybe there had been a railtour hauled by 33s north of the border in BR days that I hadn't heard about, but never mind.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for that, Jim. What liveries were the 33s in? I can understand your scepticism!

I was hoping that maybe there had been a railtour hauled by 33s north of the border in BR days that I hadn't heard about, but never mind.

Cheers

Dave

33116 was in blue livery and 33109 was in plain grey.  Check out this video of them at Waverley!! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B98ZzBa7ODc

Jim

• Like 1

Nice work on D200 and photos of it arriving at Waverley West, Photo of the real D200 at Waverley, 1984 on an Edinburgh Dundee service.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90001203@N00/385728930

Am sure I have seen a colour photo of it at Waverley, but can't locate it just now.

On 33s, share Waverley West's view on them, always preferred their Scottish wee sisters 26s and 27s. Preferred 27s (probably as I used to see them on Dundee services at Waverley in Plt 17) but having been running 26s a lot on my layout, 26s are growing on me. Seemed a bit odd seeing a pair of 33s at Waverley on the You Tube link, it's odd seeing something that seems out of place, something unfamiliar in a familiar place.

Hi Dave

Nice to see that you continue to fill your time on your layout Dave, hope things are getting a little easier for you...

Great to see the photos and much progress and great sunset pictures...

Chin up hey

Jamie

Hi Dave

Nice to see that you continue to fill your time on your layout Dave, hope things are getting a little easier for you...

Great to see the photos and much progress and great sunset pictures...

Chin up hey

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I'm doing OK, thanks. Keeping busy!

In fact, I'm fresh from some haulage trials with 60009 Union of South Africa. By cramming in as much liquid lead into the body and on the chassis as possible, I managed to increase the weight of the loco from 300g to 415g, with the result that she can now pull 9 Bachmann Mk 1s round 2nd radius curves with ease, which is plenty for me. At 300g, she struggled to pull 5, so the trials were a resounding success and 60009 has now been passed for general railtour use. I think she makes for an impressive sight on the layout with a full rake of Mk 1s behind her.

Here is 60009 working a railtour with 8 on...

post-7247-0-87202300-1435608227_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile D200 has been temporarily withdrawn due to the lights at one end not working, which almost always seems to happen after I've taken a loco apart and put it back together again. It was running very nicely too, fitted with my first legomanbiffo chip and I have to say I was mightily impressed, after having been a little disappointed with the latest SWD version. 

Once D200 has been fixed, that will pretty much leave the way open to start work on the depot buildings, unless I can come up with another excuse that is!

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 12

HI Dave

I've been doing some haulage tests on Waverley East with various pacifics and found that a Bachmann A2 can actually start 8 mk1s on a 1:60 gradient - if you jump over to my thread you can see some interesting results from a Hornby Britannia as well as a P2!

Layout looking good and I'm glad time is having the right effect. I lost my dad 8 years ago and I still occasionally find myself almost giving him a call for a catch up on my way home from the office as we used to do back in the day.

ATB

Peter

• Like 1

HI Dave

I've been doing some haulage tests on Waverley East with various pacifics and found that a Bachmann A2 can actually start 8 mk1s on a 1:60 gradient - if you jump over to my thread you can see some interesting results from a Hornby Britannia as well as a P2!

Layout looking good and I'm glad time is having the right effect. I lost my dad 8 years ago and I still occasionally find myself almost giving him a call for a catch up on my way home from the office as we used to do back in the day.

ATB

Peter

Will have a look, Peter. Thanks.

Cheers

Dave