Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave

Your modelling skills are second to none! What an absolutely fabulous layout you have generated.

Photographs of two of my favourite locos - the 47/7s and the Large Logo 37!

I will keep following your thread with great interest and thanks for sharing it with the forum

Regards

John

Were there ever any 03's up there? 06's yes, but 03's?

Hi Jeff,

Answer below:

I know 03s never frequented Waverley but rule 1 is being applied in this instance for the time-being. I have a soft spot for the 03s after seeing them dotted around the network in the 80s (Berwick and Scarborough in particular). 

I do generally like to stick to stock that could be seen at Waverley from the late 70s through to the early 90s, but I'm quite prepared to make exceptions just for fun. That's what it's all about as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 3

I wonder if it's an Aberdeen service? That would fit with having mk2s (mk2d I think)

Whats interesting is the other 'normal' rakes shown are on the North side of the station, with one being in platform 17 (usually for Dundee/Aberdeen trains).

I wonder if there was some work going on affecting the South lines through the gardens or the south side of station? IIRC Glasgow p-p were 14 & 15 and by this time there wasn't any direct link between the two 'halves' (North/South) of this end of the station.

Agree with the above. The Edinburgh Glasgow were almost exclusively Pl 14 in my experience. Pl 17 Dundee. 16 and 15 are a bit of a blur to me recall DMUs but also seen push pulls using 15 in addition to 14.

The track layout in the mid 80s meant Plt 16 could only be arrived and departed via tunnel Y (2nd from the right when looking from the station). Plt 17 usually arrived via Z (furthest to the right) and departed via Y. Whilst it was possible either between Waverley and Haymarket or after Haymarket to move over to the Glasgow lines Y and Z were generally the lines for Fife and the ECML to Dundee and Aberdeen.

As well as the loco usually being at the Edinburgh end (am sure I read somewhere this was due to the incline leaving Queen Street but I can't remember the details and did not understand the the reasoning when I read it), the No 2 end (the end without the roof fans) was usually at the front. This meant the ScotRail logo was at the front which I always thought looked better for aesthetic reasons. Again I if recall correctly this was to do with the No2 end being quieter for drivers in the cabs due to the location of some equipment in the locomotive.

Agree with the above. The Edinburgh Glasgow were almost exclusively Pl 14 in my experience. Pl 17 Dundee. 16 and 15 are a bit of a blur to me recall DMUs but also seen push pulls using 15 in addition to 14.

The track layout in the mid 80s meant Plt 16 could only be arrived and departed via tunnel Y (2nd from the right when looking from the station). Plt 17 usually arrived via Z (furthest to the right) and departed via Y. Whilst it was possible either between Waverley and Haymarket or after Haymarket to move over to the Glasgow lines Y and Z were generally the lines for Fife and the ECML to Dundee and Aberdeen.

As well as the loco usually being at the Edinburgh end (am sure I read somewhere this was due to the incline leaving Queen Street but I can't remember the details and did not understand the the reasoning when I read it), the No 2 end (the end without the roof fans) was usually at the front. This meant the ScotRail logo was at the front which I always thought looked better for aesthetic reasons. Again I if recall correctly this was to do with the No2 end being quieter for drivers in the cabs due to the location of some equipment in the locomotive.

I was once told the reason the 47/7 no 2 end was usually leading was because it was the only cab to retain the cooker to brew up!  

AFAIK, the 47's were on the Edinburgh end out of Queen St due to the 1 in 45 up Cowlairs - the driver's could quickly tell if there was any wheelslip, whereas if they were at the rear then it wasn't as apparent so readily. There are always exceptions to the rule though and there are fots of them at the Queen St end - but as a rule of thumb they would be on the Edinburgh end.

Happy to be proved wrong though. :tomato:

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

AFAIK, the 47's were on the Edinburgh end out of Queen St due to the 1 in 45 up Cowlairs - the driver's could quickly tell if there was any wheelslip, whereas if they were at the rear then it wasn't as apparent so readily. There are always exceptions to the rule though and there are fots of them at the Queen St end - but as a rule of thumb they would be on the Edinburgh end.

Happy to be proved wrong though. :tomato:

cheers

Andy

That makes more sense to the version I had a vaugue recollection of, which was something to do with brakes failing or the train splitting.

Edited by Waverley47708

• RMweb Premium

Through the years, the rule was there had to be a brake vehicle at the Glasgow end of any trains at Queen Street

I think it was mainly so that should the train stall/slip going up the incline, the guard could watch out and apply the brake if necessary

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Lights have now been installed in the East Yard...

attachicon.gifUnder the bridge.jpg

Dave,

This is what I love about this Layout - it's a complete unit and you just can't see the real world beyond.  Really inspirational stuff and shows us that you can have it all - brilliantly observed and modelled roundy roundy.  What a pleasure it must be just to watch the trains run and run and then do a bit of shunting whenever you like - all within the confines of an amazing model of a prototype.  I really had to blink at the real photos of the Class 47 - just naturally thought it was one of yours on first sight.  That's how good the layout is!  Just keep those pics comming.

Mike

They were Dave's 47's weren't they?

Seriously, we are not worthy.

I Iike post 1996 with the series 1 Landy and the viaduct and the overall shot of East Yard is nice. You are one versatile modeller.

I always presumed the the Duffs were on the EDB end of the shove sets as if there was ever any trouble with them they could be put into a through platform at Waverly & swapped. If one failed at GLQ it would be stuck on the blocks?

Looking good as ever, always enjoy new pictures in here!!

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the kind words as always. Life has been a bit tough here at WW for the past couple of weeks. My dad sadly passed away the week before last, so it's been difficult to come to terms with that while organising the funeral and seeing to all the other formalities that go with a death. My mum's memory is failing rather too rapidly as well, so she is needing more care. We have a doctor's appointment soon, so I'm hoping that some treatment/support can be put in place for her. Combine that with being self-employed and a family with two nearly teenage girls and there isn't a lot of time left over!

All this is of course squeezing modelling time to an absolute bare minimum. I've tried to carry on doing bits here and there whenever I can as a form of therapy, and I have to say it's been good to immerse myself in it to escape at imes. 

Hope to be back soon with some updates.

Cheers for now,
Dave

Edited by Waverley West

Hi Dave,

Really sorry to hear the news, my condolences,

I think we are all of us on this forum in that generation where sadly Our parents are passing, while we still have the responsibilities for our youngsters. When my father died a few years ago good friend said to me one of the hardest emotions to deal with is realising that suddenly you become the head of the clan

It will be a difficult time and I'm sure all your friends here wish you all the very best and look forward to coming back and contributing in the near future

ATB

Peter

Dave,

Sorry to hear about your recent loss.

Best of luck too, with when having two teenage girls in the house. I know what it's like.......... :O

You've created a truly wonderful layout - a real sense of time and place, full of railway atmosphere - without it being in any way too twee or "over modelled". Stunning photos too.

You must be very proud of your achievements.

Best wishes,

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Just caught up and read you sad news, Dave.

Unfortunately, this is one place that we all have to go from time to time, and there is no quick fix to the many and varied feelings that we encounter at this time.  It may sound to be a platitide, but time will and does help a whole lot, and after a while, the feelings of sadness, regret, guilt, and all the rest start to be replaced by fondness, and happy memories.  I do know, as I've been there, as indeed have many RMWebbers, so we are all here to offer virtual support if needed.  

To try to lift you a little bit, I'll recount (briefly) a lovely story about my dad's wake.

Dad liked a drink, and kept a bottle of Bells in the under sink cupboard, where he thought it free from prying eyes.  My mum also knew about this bottle, and started to mark the label to check how fast the level was dropping, which was suspiciously slowly.  When we had the wake, the bottle was retrieved, and was about to be offered to the guests when my brother and I decided to have a dram each in the kitchen - a good job we did, as it was probably only about 35 proof with the balance being from the local water supply!

All the best, mate.

Stewart

• Like 3