Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

How lucky  you are to have the natural sunlight it enhances your layout so much the locos emerging from the tunnels look brilliant good to see you back.

Thanks lms. The parts of the layout that are lit up by natural sunlight vary according to the time of day and year. Late in the day in June, the sun reaches far enough round to come in through the railway room door and on to the Mound Tunnel portals. At other times of year, other parts of the layout like the depot are lit in the morning or evening, so it's very much a case of following the sun!

Cheers

Dave

Very nice work Dave, some lovely photos. The buffer stop looks really good as does the weathering on the ballast, something I am looking at a lot in photos. Very sad I know!

Loving the whole look of the depot. I can just imagine leaning out of the window of a train when it passes by and seeing the quality selection of traction on shed. Lovely!

I remember passing Eastfield on the train and passing by very quickly.......and not getting many numbers!

• Like 1

Just as I remember the coal sector type 2's, complete with those distinctive grim/coal dust streaks between the cantrail grilles!

Alas this reflects the last period when I took any serious notice of things on BR - sprinterisation only succeeded in finishing off my already declining interest in the modern railway.

• RMweb Gold

It's a real tribute to your skills that even under the most unforgiving close up, there is nothing in that photo that would suggest that it's anything other than a photo of the prototype.

Absolutely stunning!

Al.

Colin, brilliant thanks again - I was wondering about that last DBSO shot. It really shows the lights clearly but is that tail lamp on the first one because the light above it has failed, do you know? I don't recall seeing any tail lamps like that on DBSOs before. That may just be because they don't tend to get photographing when trailing, I guess. I presume the normal arrangement would be for both red lights to be lit and no tail lamp? I need to know how many LEDs to fit!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

This may be of help ? .  When built Class 47 tail lights could only be switched on one at a time, not both on together. The 47/7 Edin-Glas PP service required twin tail lights to be shown,and so until the wiring was sorted out, they normally ran with one electric and one oil lamp when the loco was propelling, the loco normally always at the Edin end, as it was not permitted for the DBSO to lead up Cowlairs Bank.   This "may" provide an answer to the above DBSO photo IF the early builds had the same wiring issue ? or it could be just a failed bulb, the oil lamp being used to comply with the above twin tail light condition.  As for your model I'd go for 2 red LED's ! looks better and it's your railway.

HTH

Ken

I love the coal sector 33....just fantastic mate.

Terry

Cheers Terry. It's one of my favourites too. I have another lined up ready for weathering, but the challenge will be to make the two of them look OK together after such a big gap between weathering them. I'm really looking forward to seeing them double heading though.

• RMweb Gold

I love the coal sector 33....just fantastic mate.

Terry

Cheers Terry. It's one of my favourites too. I have another lined up ready for weathering, but the challenge will be to make the two of them look OK together after such a big gap between weathering them. I'm really looking forward to seeing them double heading though.

33 !!!    33!!! and he caught you out too Dave, shame on you. You need to watch us southern softies or you will be drinking warm beer and eating jellied eels before you can say "Sarf"

33 !!!    33!!! and he caught you out too Dave, shame on you. You need to watch us southern softies or you will be drinking warm beer and eating jellied eels before you can say "Sarf"

You're right Colin. I completely missed that!

Oh, the shame of it.  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

• RMweb Premium

You're right Colin. I completely missed that!

Oh, the shame of it.  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

It could have been, had the shedmaster at Eastfield had had his way, as they are reputed to have got there once on the Cliffe-Uddingston cement working, and he was itching to try one on a 27 duty.   Whether true or apocryphal, that's the story that I heard many many moons ago. 

• Like 1

And finally for now a little Waverley West miscellany...

A cruel closeup of the leading ScotRail Mk 3 coach behind 47715, complete with ScotRail Express window and toilet stickers

post-7247-0-64191000-1434565421_thumb.jpg

Inspection saloon

post-7247-0-34378600-1434565397_thumb.jpg

Another shot of 26025 briefly lit by the sun as it passes Haymarket depot

post-7247-0-60307600-1434565724_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Dave, as you know I'm a great fan of your layout, but as someone who has spent 85% of his life in the Southern region, I need to point out that your '33's are in fact not 33's at all, which were a true Southern engine as no other region adopted them

Those particular members of the Crompton family rarely made it North of Rugby, and while I'm sure the extra horsepower compared to their weaker siblings would have come in handy, nothing, to my knowledge that left BRCW and had a type 3 designation ever roamed the Scottish Rails.

However, as you know 26's were all over the place like a cheap suit!

Funny though that such similar members should only have found favour at opposite ends of the nation!