Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

I think I now have a train...  :locomotive:

The third vehicle is now under way. This one is a full brake that I have actually had for a number of years but it fits in well with these 'new' ones.

post-7104-0-69699800-1400019527_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-51942200-1400019512_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A job I thought was going to be a right faf-on was fitting the gas pipes on the roof, but I have done the first one and it went well, a length of .3mm wire with small ¬ shaped pieces soldered on where it goes into the lamps, the whole pipe was then glued to the roof. It goes down the end of the coach and will end eventually in the valve which needs to be made and fitted over the gas control bar, not sure what this looks like yet!

post-7104-0-40394100-1400105044_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Nice. Will the coaches be painted your favourite green?

Why would I paint them green? what kind of company would be so daft and paint their coaches green?

(OK, NER coaches were green in the early days...)

• RMweb Gold

No, Paul was telling me he has "seen the light" (something a bit like old Saul on the road to Damascus) and will be painting them ---- need I say more?

Derek

The NER used a  better class of red of course...

• RMweb Gold

Progress with the coaches, the Third has had all castings fitted, the lamp tops and vents fitted to the roof. I noticed in photos of the roofs of these coaches that they don't have vents on all compartments, I was speaking to Ian Sadler at the weekend and I asked him, among other things, why this is, he said that only the 'smoking' compartments had roof vents on 6 wheel coaches, later bogie coaches had them on all compartments.

This coach needs steps, gas pipe and roof handrails.

post-7104-0-79284000-1400539517_thumb.jpg

I've also fitted the lamp tops and vents to the brake, this also needs roof lights fitting.

post-7104-0-17868100-1400539531_thumb.jpg

And the three together. The luggage composite may need the roof vents removing from one end, I need to study more photos.

post-7104-0-40950100-1400539507_thumb.jpg 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

No work on the coaches tonight but progress to report on the class A, the paint I have used now, and am very happy with, is Railmatch 'LNER Darlington Green' pretty obvious really as the Darlington shade of LNER green was supposedly identical to the NER one. It's also lucky for us that Gresley didn't get it all his, or the GNR's way and the LNER lining followed NER practice so commercial lining transfers can be used without any faffing reverse corners! I'm not looking forward to doing the 'edge' lining...

Note that the wheels are still in the previous colour.

post-7104-0-45393700-1400623390_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

To my eyes, which are not educated to foreign engine colours, that shade sits well on the loco.

Worsdell's loco of many colours? I can see Mr Lloyd Webber writing a musical about your tribulations...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To my eyes, which are not educated to foreign engine colours, that shade sits well on the loco.

Worsdell's loco of many colours? I can see Mr Lloyd Webber writing a musical about your tribulations...

Stubby to write the lyrics?

...You do realise you'll go mad lining them.Best of luck!

Yes!  :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Further progress on the coaches, I recently acquired a used RSU and have used it on the next coach, another full third, with great results, the solebar and headstock overlays went on quickly and easily a couple of nights ago as did the droplights tonight. 

Some of the parts fresh out of the US cleaner.

post-7104-0-33738600-1401227260_thumb.jpg

Inside of a full third side showing very little solder residue left after using the RSU.

post-7104-0-84287300-1401227271_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've done a bit of work on the coaches in the last couple of weeks but nothing new to report on.

At Wigan last weekend I picked up a kit for an NER diagram P4 101/2t coal hopper wagon very cheaply on the club stand. The basic wagon is built, still to do is the interior and handrails.

post-7104-0-36801300-1402871806_thumb.jpg

While I was on with this one I've had a go at three diagram P5 11/12t hopper kits that I've had for a while. These need a bit more work to finish them, the fiddly end brakes are to be fitted as well as interior and handrails.

post-7104-0-26172400-1402871817_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-05669500-1402871791_thumb.jpg

• Like 8