Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

Where were you sourcing replacement chimneys/safety valve covers from.  It lools like the the London Road rather beautiful cast version for the latter which strangely I have used (cut down) on a Highland loco!

I have no idea of the origin of the chimney and safety valve, they were from a box of bits inherited from a late friend.

That's interesting, the last couple I've built only have LNER and BR transfers, they do look different to the ones in the kits I built years ago.

Hmmm? I bought a hopper kit some time last year  (2014) and it had the same style transfer sheet as the last batch I bought in the 1970's. Don't know how long it had been in stock? and application method had changed from rub on to methfix.

To do, apart from replacing things removed above.

1. I may replace the coal rails as the loco I'm building at the time had three open rails.
  2. There is a part cab interior with the chassis kit to fit, I also have a cast backhead.
  3. Boiler bottom fillet (with kit) to fit.
  4. Lamp irons.
  5. Clack valves on boiler sides.
  6. EDIT. Seperate tanks from boiler. thanks Mike

7. Remove boiler bands???

8. Remove Tank top rivets. ??? (A couple of top down 1950's pics of short bunkered 72's I've seen appear to have flush riveted tank tops but who is to say they were like that pre grouping?)

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Yes they are.

Thanks Paul, I may get a chance tonight but after the dog walk and it being 37degrees today I may not feel like sitting down with a hot light and a soldering iron to do some more. On another aside I am a little surprised that Chris has not corrected the part numbering which is a diagram change and a note in the instructions.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm? I bought a hopper kit some time last year  (2014) and it had the same style transfer sheet as the last batch I bought in the 1970's. Don't know how long it had been in stock? and application method had changed from rub on to methfix

7. Remove boiler bands???

8. Remove Tank top rivets. ??? (A couple of top down 1950's pics of short bunkered 72's I've seen appear to have flush riveted tank tops but who is to say they were like that pre grouping?)

P

Hi Paul,

All the P7s I am building and have to build at the moment are second hand unbuilt kits and I think these have been 'nicked', one of the kits has no transfers at all.

I'll look at the boiler bands and rivets.

Wizard Models do a 4mm scale etched NER detail fret - LS004 - which includes "hopper wagon brake gear".  I think the latter is suitable for the P7 20t Hopper. The fret also has trespass notices, mileposts, a bridge number and load plates. All useful bits and pieces.

• RMweb Gold

Wizard Models do a 4mm scale etched NER detail fret - LS004 - which includes "hopper wagon brake gear".  I think the latter is suitable for the P7 20t Hopper. The fret also has trespass notices, mileposts, a bridge number and load plates. All useful bits and pieces.

Hi David,

I have some of those frets, I used the brake levers on some Ironstone hoppers, not the finest etches, I think Mark's would be more up to modern standards!

Thanks Paul, I may get a chance tonight but after the dog walk and it being 37degrees today I may not feel like sitting down with a hot light and a soldering iron to do some more. On another aside I am a little surprised that Chris has not corrected the part numbering which is a diagram change and a note in the instructions.

There is another error along the same lines further on but I can't remember what it is now. You will know it when you get to it though. Apart from that the build was straight forward and very enjoyable.

Hi Paul,

All the P7s I am building and have to build at the moment are second hand unbuilt kits and I think these have been 'nicked', one of the kits has no transfers at all.

I'll look at the boiler bands and rivets.

Somewhere  I have a spare sheet. If I can find it I'll stick it in the post?

and now for a hijack...

...going back to the boiler bands, this is mine with them removed. I'll replace them with waterside sheet once the jobs been moved on a bit more.

I agree with mark about the steps and spectacle plates. Etched make for a big improvement. I'm going to see if I can model one of the spectacles open. Only time will tell if that works out?

My etches came from Mainly trains.

Also a mention must go the that kindly Mr. Gubbins at High Level. He donated a couple of J72 test etches (from his scrap bin) so I could make a better job of the compensated brake linkages. There's spare set of EM linkages should you want them?

Still a way to go.

post-508-0-56434300-1420739755.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After a few days away, I've managed to get a bit done tonight. I've taken the boiler bands off and thinned the cab spectacles a bit as suggested. I've started adding bits, the buffer beams are now on and it's starting to look like a loco again!

I also spotted another job to do, I've taken off the cab door handrails but I will be leaving the doors in place.

post-7104-0-92513200-1421011245_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

After a few days away, I've managed to get a bit done tonight. I've taken the boiler bands off and thinned the cab spectacles a bit as suggested. I've started adding bits, the buffer beams are now on and it's starting to look like a loco again!

I also spotted another job to do, I've taken off the cab door handrails but I will be leaving the doors in place.

attachicon.gifIMGP0247-001.JPG

Is the job you spotted, the chimney. It's the one I noticed

andy

• RMweb Premium

Fireless loco Paul?

Two bottles and you spot everything!

You spend all your time on these models but until you take a photo and see it in front of you, you just over look these little details. By the way , you probably need buffers, although NE stuff is not my strength.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

You spend all your time on these models but until you take a photo and see it in front of you, you just over look these little details. By the way , you probably need buffers, although NE stuff is not my strength.

Andy

Three bottles...

Probably needs a spot of paint aswell...and, if Tony Wright is looking, some lamps.

• RMweb Gold

Made a start lettering the P5/P17s using some of the Slaters transfers that I have, The 12 on the one on the left should be bigger but there are none bigger on the sheet. They still need tare weights and number plates and of course the other sides!

post-7104-0-32004000-1421447829_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I got the rest of the transfers on the hoppers yesterday morning.

post-7104-0-69811900-1421587004_thumb.jpg

Today I have been working on a diagram V1 brake van, it was almost there, just needed horizontal handrails, steps and lamp brackets fitting. Now in primer, the roof is still loose.

post-7104-0-78704500-1421587016_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Lettering on the brake van now, took some doing as the transfers are a bit old and dry, fixed down now with a couple of coats of Klear.

Ignore the wrong number on the solebar, it will be painted over and renumbered, I've used that transfer for the 'North Eastern'.

post-7104-0-72068000-1421704184_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Lettering on the brake van now, took some doing as the transfers are a bit old and dry, fixed down now with a couple of coats of Klear.

Ignore the wrong number on the solebar, it will be painted over and renumbered, I've used that transfer for the 'North Eastern'.

attachicon.gifIMGP0252-001.JPG

Very nice Paul. That's an awful lot of seagull poo on that grey roof.