Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

A rather ordinary video of the E1 shuffling up and down the test track tonight. It seems to be running ok, just needs running in a bit. I've added lead to the tanks and a bit in the smokebox (the decoder is in the boiler) and it weighs in at 125 grams, I would like a bit more and I will see what space is left when it's finished.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quite a bit of progress on wagons in the last couple of days, the brake van seen on the previous page has been weathered, glazed and had it's roof attached - in that order, there's just a handrail from the end to the roof to fit. The C3 open has been painted as has a Midland 5 plank that I found hidden amongst some finished wagons, both await lettering.

post-7104-0-22342800-1423178193_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

You seem to be reducing your strategic kit reserve at a high rate of knots there Worsdell... what do you have planed next?

Ah, well, yes, except the C3 is new and there's another open (C2) and a new H&B van that I bought a couple of weeks ago...

No this isn't Mr Franks new track cleaning wagon...

It's an NER diagram C3, that's a C2 with a cage fitted for loading large light goods. It's a 51L kit that I bought at Pontefract on Saturday.

attachicon.gifIMGP0254-001.JPG

Just give me the dimensions and I'll have an NER track cleaner etched up for you......

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Decided to go back to the E1 tonight and get some of the detailing started. I wasn't happy with the safety valve so I've had a rummage in various boxes and found another whitemetal one, this one is a much better casting and sits on straight! I've fitted the handrail knobs and front lamp brackets tonight and fitted the boiler backhead, this was a bit tricky because the cab front and rear are attached to the roof so the backhead is fixed to the floor and the lead weights in the tanks with a slot in front of it for the cab front to fit in to. The backhead has a piece of plasticard fixed to it at the top and shaped to space it away from the gearbox which slightly protrudes into the cab.

post-7104-0-98259200-1423265825_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-43968000-1423265839_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Rear lamp brackets and coal rails fitted this morning, still a bit of work to do on the rails.

post-7104-0-76058500-1423315429_thumb.jpg

Clack valves fitted to the sides of the boiler, the pipes on this loco seem to have taken a rather twisting route... 

post-7104-0-39370700-1423315444_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

It's about time I commented on this thread.

I have been following this topic for some time now, being a northern lad from Newcastle your modelling has moistened my taste buds!

The level of skills displaying in creating these models is brilliant and I find your work very inspiring.

I may have been responsible for the majority of your topic views over the past few weeks as I've been planning a EM & 009 6 x 2ft layout of Haltwhistle town foot where coals and stone where tipped into wagons from a 2ft gauge line running from what is now Cawfields Lake. More on that here: http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10651&sid=615e78435ed69005d34712c9e3bdc807

Looking through your topic I've found that you've built all of the NE rolling that I will be needing so this thread has been very helpful to source what I'm after, although I have one question. The Birdcage NE Brakevan, I am assuming it is a Slaters kit but It is no longer listed on their site. Do you happen to know where I would be able to buy one?

By the way, the E1 is looking superb. After seeing how you've tackled the chassis, I'm quite tempted to build the Newcastle pilot 68723 for no particular reason.

Cheers, Adam

• Like 1

The Birdcage NE Brakevan, I am assuming it is a Slaters kit but It is no longer listed on their site. Do you happen to know where I would be able to buy one?

Adam,

I think there are some issues between Slaters and their 4mm distributer (Cooper Craft), which may mean this is going to prove difficult to source.  Therefore, keep you eyes open at exhibitions for various retailers who retail these (it seems many do) and also ebay / similar.

As an alternative, Mousa Models do a number of other NER brake vans.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments Adam, hope your layout goes well.

Thanks for your reply Mark, hope that answers Adam's question. I think Bill does all but the Slaters kit. I have a partly built V1/1 and an outside framed one to build. I really hope all of Coopercraft's problems are sorted soon as these kits are too good to lose.