Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

Paul -

If there is room, try tacking at the the top and bottom, remove the clamp, wait for the heat to dissipate and then carefully and quickly run a seam into the remaining gap.

Catch up with you on Saturday, at Thirsk. I'm bringing a car load with me just to see you!

David

If you check the Coffman web site you will see that they already make a clamp with the end of the aluminium angle already machined out, giving clearance in the area you would solder the internal angles of a wagon, part number AC-7-1 Combo Right Clamp refers

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little bit of borrowing from the Midland tonight, a quick ( :O) conversion of the Slaters Midland goods dray/rully. North Eastern ones were 11' 6" long and the MR were 14' so 10mm has been removed from the length, it should also be a bit narrower but I don't think this will be as noticable. I've also inserted a 12BA screw so the front axle will 'steer' and so be pose-able.

post-7104-0-19737200-1426452014_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-69236300-1426452025_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-25677200-1426452041_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-87057400-1426452051_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-67025400-1426452065_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Something ultra modern tonight! 

Ex LNER brakevan (new TMC Limited edition) converted to EM, horrible couplings in the bin and a bit of weathering.

Conversion to EM was the easiest yet, just changed the wheels, didn't have to alter the brake shoes or shave anything off the axlegaurds. 

post-7104-0-28701300-1427402896_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Back to the Rully, I've had some transfers made up by John Peck, they're a little too large but I think they look ok.

The other side is still to do and there's still other painting to finish off.

post-7104-0-00101300-1427746950_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

More North Eastern stuff, this time a 'Motor & Carriage Truck', Diagram 167. I bought it a couple of years ago, built by the late Malcolm Crawley from a Chivers kit.

The roof isn't fitted, it needs glazing first and it needs spoked wheels.

post-7104-0-95845800-1429481760_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I like the NER covered carriage truck, Paul.  Would have looked good on Canal Road, or even better on Kirkby Malham.

The flat bed delivery truck looks complete with the transfers.  Very effective.   For my Midland ones, I printed out white on blue on the 'puter on thin paper then stuck them on.  The ink colour and the blue paint match up pretty well.

Derek

post-6110-0-06257400-1429524008_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I bought a sheet of HMRS LMS pre-group wagon transfers on Saturday and after I finished the NER CCT I lettered a couple of wagons that have been waiting a while. a Midland open and L&Y long one plank. They still need a few little bits of lettering adding. 

post-7104-0-98500800-1429653149_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Back to the Rully, I've had some transfers made up by John Peck, they're a little too large but I think they look ok.

The other side is still to do and there's still other painting to finish off.

attachicon.gifIMGP0425-002.JPG

Is that a Worsdell horse or a Fletcher horse? If it were the later Raven horse, then it would have been superheated - perish the thought - and might have had a snifting valve fitted; this for snifting.

Lovely model though and a very unusual subject.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Is that a Worsdell horse or a Fletcher horse? If it were the later Raven horse, then it would have been superheated - perish the thought - and might have had a snifting valve fitted; this for snifting.

Lovely model though and a very unusual subject.

Cheers

Mike

A TW Worsdell horse, rebuilt to simple expansion...

A TW Worsdell horse, rebuilt to simple expansion...

Ah, thank God for that. It was the ones with compound expansion, larger diameter pissedons and double blast pipes, which were the real rogues - exhausting all over the place.

Lacking any real haulage power (they were rated as 1H's) with very limited route availability; poor at low speeds, even poorer at high speeds, they were rapidly relegated to the more menial equine tasks, though one of them, reportedly, did win a minor selling plate at Blaydon!!

They were very rapidly withdrawn and most sent to Darlington - some sent to France, for what purpose I know not - to become glue!!!!!

I'll get me coat!!

Very best regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

A few photos I've taken over the last few years of the preserved 63395 at Grosmont, 63340 has the same simple variations as the preserved example, the same boiler (dome position) and tender with all round coal rails. 63340 of course won't have vac pipes or vacuum ejector.

attachicon.gifDSCF1065.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0726.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0741.JPG

attachicon.gifQ6-a.JPG

A few photos I've taken over the last few years of the preserved 63395 at Grosmont, 63340 has the same simple variations as the preserved example, the same boiler (dome position) and tender with all round coal rails. 63340 of course won't have vac pipes or vacuum ejector.

attachicon.gifDSCF1065.JPG  The preserved loco has an ex atlantic 4,125 gallon tender, when we were rubbing it down before painting we found lots of green paint. The green booki is wrong when it states it has a 3,940 gallon tender. Several Q6s got tenders from withdrawn atlantics.....

attachicon.gifDSCF0726.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0741.JPG

attachicon.gifQ6-a.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Came home tonight to find an envelope from Narrow Planet containing some rather nice NER numberplates, No 1749s plates have now been painted (well, black permanent marker actually) cleaned up and fitted.

post-7104-0-27572400-1431018428_thumb.jpg 

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a couple of weeks with no modelling, holiday then full of cold! the next project is one of Arthur Kimber's J24s, It's going together well but some of the part numbering is a bit off. I'm building it compensated using High Level hornblocks, the springs have been cut off their spacers which were shortened and the springs soldered back on so they will fit between the EM frames, the kit seems to be designed only to be compensated in P4.

post-7104-0-46789400-1433529544_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-97343000-1433529627_thumb.jpg

The cab was actually built last year but the footplate was only started on Monday night, it has gone together well, I thought there might have been a bit of distortion soldering the laminations together but all seems to be well. The last job last night was the front sandbox/splashers then the whole lot was cleaned up. The cab isn't attached yet.

post-7104-0-46850400-1433529716_thumb.jpg

• Like 12