Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

Just curious, are you applying the rivet transfers directly to an unpainted surface because they adhere better than they would if the wagon was in a coat of primer?

The first one I gave a coat of Klear first but the second I forgot but it made no difference, as long as they have a coat afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Extremely interesting regarding the home-printed transfers.

Are you willing to say what kind of printer and white toner you obtained, with how much difficulty, and a what sort of cost please?

For a "stronger" white, are the paper guides and feed mechanism accurate enough to allow you to print the white twice in the same place on the transfer paper? I've managed double printing with accuracy on ordinary paper with an inkjet printer on a few occasions. Failing ability to print a denser white, I suspect that having the neat, sharp edged print of the letter there to start with gives you a reasonable chance of simply painting over it with great care, using more white, if necessary.

• RMweb Gold

Extremely interesting regarding the home-printed transfers.

Are you willing to say what kind of printer and white toner you obtained, with how much difficulty, and a what sort of cost please?

For a "stronger" white, are the paper guides and feed mechanism accurate enough to allow you to print the white twice in the same place on the transfer paper? I've managed double printing with accuracy on ordinary paper with an inkjet printer on a few occasions. Failing ability to print a denser white, I suspect that having the neat, sharp edged print of the letter there to start with gives you a reasonable chance of simply painting over it with great care, using more white, if necessary.

It was expensive enough and took a bit of finding but I'm happy with the results, I'm going to experiment with the double printing idea.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been pottering about lately on another loco project, back to kitbuilding this time. It's part of the 'Great S4North stash of 2015', a Barnfield BTP 0-4-4t which will become 1055 and luckily there's photos of both sides, one here and the other side in Ken Hoole's NER Locomotives.

post-7104-0-24326800-1527340209_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-64088900-1527340214_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-13521000-1527340218_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I have always fancied building a BTP but have been put off by the problem of where you put the motor, looks like you've cracked that problem Paul. What type of Hi-level gearbox and size of Mashima did you use?

That's what I wad worried about so I passed it all over to Chris at expoEM last weekend and he sold me a Roadrunner compact+ and 10-20.

• RMweb Gold

Splashers and steps now fitted, the splashers took a bit of sorting, there are many different types in the kit all in two sizes, small for 5' and 5' 3" and large for 5' 6" and 5' 8", 1055 had 5' wheels but comparing the small splashers to photos they look way too small so I used the large ones. The steps were modified slightly as neither of the two cab step backs in the kit were exactly right.

post-7104-0-27605900-1527511392_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Been pottering about lately on another loco project, back to kitbuilding this time. It's part of the 'Great S4North stash of 2015', a Barnfield BTP 0-4-4t which will become 1055 and luckily there's photos of both sides, one here and the other side in Ken Hoole's NER Locomotives.

attachicon.gifIMGP0487-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0488-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0489-001.JPG

Paul,

The Steve Barnfield BTP has some similarities to his NER Class O / LNER G5 kit, as the prototypes were both 0-4-4's.

One thing which improved the appearance of the chassis on the G5 was to fill in the gap between the two sides of the ashpan etching to produce the ashpan. I used a plasticard block fabricated from three layers of .060" plasticard and then profiled to the shape of the ashpan and just superglued between the two side etchings.

Just looking at the photo of the BTP chassis, this mod might aid the BTP chassis; it will certainly add to its rigidity as there are no spacers on this part of the chassis.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

The boiler now has a smokebox attached.

attachicon.gifIMGP0494-001.JPG

Paul,

I'm not sure what period your BTP model will represent (pre-grouping, post grouping) but certainly all of the photos of these locomotives which I have seen, in the pre-grouping period and beyond, show them with flush riveted smoke boxes. Again, I don't know whether the LNER introduced a replacement boiler for the BTP's as they did with many of the ex-NER classes, where the smokebox may then have had visible rivets.

Also, compared with the photos below, your smokebox does look a bit on the narrow side and, perhaps, could be a little deeper from front to back. The leading edge of the front sandboxes is level with the smokebox front, on the photographs. Do the sandbox castings in the kit line up similarly when stood on the model's footplate?

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-78016500-1527618420_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-39355800-1527618460_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

I'm not sure what period your BTP model will represent (pre-grouping, post grouping) but certainly all of the photos of these locomotives which I have seen, in the pre-grouping period and beyond, show them with flush riveted smoke boxes. Again, I don't know whether the LNER introduced a replacement boiler for the BTP's as they did with many of the ex-NER classes, where the smokebox may then have had visible rivets.

Also, compared with the photos below, your smokebox does look a bit on the narrow side and, perhaps, could be a little deeper from front to back. The leading edge of the front sandboxes is level with the smokebox front, on the photographs. Do the sandbox castings in the kit line up similarly when stood on the footplate?

Cheers

Mike

Both the photos I've found of 1055 (this side sandboxes are different to the other so must have been changed at some time, lots of guesswork!) show it with rivets showing on the smokebox, this could give the illusion of it being narrower? I've moved the boiler forward by 1mm and the whole thing looks more balanced now with more room for the sandbox. The ashpan will be completed before I'm done.