Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

They do look a bit odd but the fronts slope back from when the followed the original smokebox, some were changed on re-boilering and some weren't.

And I've now discovered that some of the Class 59's had straight running plates and some had the curved running plate, dependant on the throw of the outside motion.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

And I've now discovered that some of the Class 59's had straight running plates and some had the curved running plate, dependant on the throw of the outside motion.

Cheers

Mike

The Darlington ones had the curly footplates, I think following the original Irish design and the Stephenson ones were straight. So much for McDonnell standardisation...

• RMweb Gold

Looks remarkably like the Irish GS&WR "101" class 0-6-0s.

Cos' it's basically the same loco.

Even more so if Paul had gone for one of the batch with curved footplate over the leading and centre axles.

Luckily the one that was up at Rosedale was a Stephenson straight footplate one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been working on the tender over the last couple of nights, the tank sides were riveted quite a while ago so it really just needed soldering together, except that the back was too wide and one end needed re-riveting after cutting down. The whole lot was strengthened when the top went on. The coal space flares were made from thinner brass and curved between some thick soft card and a length of steel bar in the big vice. I was lucky with the coal rails as I was able to use the spare ones from the J24, although they were the 4 rail ones they were easy to cut down and luckily the were the correct length. Don't look too closely, some bits are a bit wobbly.

post-7104-0-39054500-1507067196_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-27143700-1507067267_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Handrails and tender steps tonight. There seem to be handrails all over the cab, none of which needed handrail knobs, only the boiler and tender rear corners use these. Also got the tender front steps done, took a couple of goes to get the curve right, the rear steps should be easier as they are straight. 

post-7104-0-75383700-1507243948_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Made good steady progress this week, all of the handrails are on apart from the small ones above the front footplate steps, lamp irons have been fitted front, back and even middle, there's three beside the firebox on the left hand side, there's also a pair of whistles on the roof. I've also added the rear tender steps, brake handle and water valve. All that is needed on the tender now are the castings. 

But by far the best progress made last night is the wiring, the chassis has been working for a while but last night it was wired through to the tender, tender pickups added and decoder fitted. It was then lubricated and run up and down the test track for a while and it now runs nice and smoothly, should be even better when it gets a bit of weight in it.

post-7104-0-66525100-1507873114_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-95092800-1507873120_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...