Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Premium

If you solder wire, you'll have to solder it twice. The first time you solder it, you can flatten one side, but then you'll have to unsolder it and flip it over, to flatten it again - if not it will be half-round and sit oddly proud. You cannot flatten it and then shape it into a curve as it will twist as you do so. 

Is plastic micro strip and araldite out of the question?

Andy

• RMweb Gold

These predated the Diagram Book having been built in the 1880s. Ordinary "double-lever brakes" on one side only – they were NEVER fitted with DC brakes. They were rated to carry 8 tons when originally built with grease 'boxes, but were uprated to 10 tons when fitted with oil 'boxes in 1900s. Suitable numbers 22332, 22583, 27655, 35236, 37023, and 37291.  Production ceased in 1886 when the GWR switched to iron bodied vans – the famous Iron Minks. By the way, 27655 was one of the last batch produced and had steel channel solebars in place of bulb iron but this is pretty much impossible to see in a 4mm scale model. Is this enough to be getting on with?

Thanks to the information supplied by wagonman the GWR van is now just about finished, needs a bit of matt varnish to tone it down a bit and will get a bit of weathering later.

post-7104-0-66431200-1480626617_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

That looks very like one of the wagons I've been given by my GW friends which I plan to refurbish - Graham456 and Brassey identified it as an old Ian Kirk kit. Brassy suggested it should have grease axleboxes, certainly I'd go that way for my 1903-ish period. I'll be painting mine red of course. Thanks wagonman for the additional data posted here.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not a lot has appeared here for a few months, mainly due to working on the new Rosedale layout but some tinkering has been going on, various bits and pieces for the 59 have been made and a couple of wagons started.

The first is an NER diagram D4 twin bolster from a 51L kit, I have seen a photo of a twin or pair of singles on the Rosedale branch so this will be run on there.

post-7104-0-29851500-1493850185_thumb.jpg

The second is a GNR 4 plank open from a Mousa kit, Bill's latest style of moulded, etched and printed, as ever a superb kit that went together well, needs finishing painting and awaiting transfers from Powsides.

post-7104-0-53140900-1493850194_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Very nice! Those bolsters (or is it that twin) appear as tidily cast as I'd expect from 51L, I trust they went together with the minimum of fuss!

I'm seeing a lot of nice results from the Mousa kits, I might have to succumb to one (or more) once I've got a bit of workbench space!

Looking forward to seeing the finished products!

Cheers

J

Please excuse a question on this thread. I know that there are posts by yourself and others on the subject of NER buffer stops. What I have not been able to find anywhere are details of what type of stops were used on the Central Division.

Elsewhere on my railway I've made some of the robust Northern Division cast-iron ones, and I do now have an example of the very nice Lanarkshire Models whitemetal ones.

I've realised however that part of my new railway is likely to be an ex-CD line, which gives me an excuse for one of the rather interesting signal cabins. The location for the cabin is next to the end of a couple of sidings. Obviously, these could have been replaces at some time, but it would be interesting to work out something reasonably prototypical.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After too long away in a box, the various bits of the 59 class have been poured out onto the bench and a bit more done. jobs over the last couple of nights have been to solder the cab to the footplate and make up the smokebox, the front had been cut out a while ago so it just needed wrappers making then the whole lot was soldered to the boiler to the correct length. 

post-7104-0-74980000-1505856934_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-25769600-1505856941_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Fitting the splashers next together with setting the final footplate height, it was lifted about 1mm, much easier to lift it than lower it. I've also drilled the smokebox top for the chimney. The boiler needs to be lowered a bit still.

post-7104-0-10805800-1506409698_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Tonight has seen the front splashers/sandboxes finished, yes, the front should slope back, this follows the angle of the original McDonnell smokebox.

post-7104-0-65383500-1506638874_thumb.jpg

The next job was the steps, the front ones were fairly straight forward but the rear ones (and the tender ones will be the same) are curved backwards. 

post-7104-0-16166200-1506638870_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-37182900-1506638864_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Fitting the splashers next together with setting the final footplate height, it was lifted about 1mm, much easier to lift it than lower it. I've also drilled the smokebox top for the chimney. The boiler needs to be lowered a bit still.

attachicon.gif20170926_075946.jpg

I'm getting confused following two builds of small NER 0-6-0s at once but it's amazing how both engines suddenly gain character through the simple act of plonking the chimney in place.

Edited by Compound2632

You'll forgive me for being a little critical, but the head on photo on posting 1218 seems to show those splashers our of perpendicular. Shouldn't they be parallel with the bottom section of the smokebox sides or is this the sloping sides of the smokebox which gives that impression?

I've only found one photo of one of these locomotives but that shows a curved footplate, with the curves over each driving wheel. Were there different designs of footplate, for this loco, given that they seem to have been built in several batches?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

• RMweb Gold

You'll forgive me for being a little critical, but the head on photo on posting 1218 seems to show those splashers our of perpendicular. Shouldn't they be parallel with the bottom section of the smokebox sides or is this the sloping sides of the smokebox which gives that impression?

I've only found one photo of one of these locomotives but that shows a curved footplate, with the curves over each driving wheel. Were there different designs of footplate, for this loco, given that they seem to have been built in several batches?

Cheers

Mike

They do look a bit odd but the fronts slope back from when the followed the original smokebox, some were changed on re-boilering and some weren't.