Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

Stephen,

I generally use U-POL grey etch primer, followed by Halfords red oxide as undercoat red/brown red/brown top coats. This isn't the first time I have had difficulty.getting an acceptable finish brush painting PPP. Normally I airbrush my models but for this one off, I thought brush painting with a new tin of satin NER crimson red would be okay. Perhaps I should have stirred it much more.

Jol

Interesting - how are you applying the Precision Paint, Jol? I've had no luck with their paint applied neat by brush but have had good results with several well-thinned coats in both dull and matt(ish) as well as satin finishes with decent brushes. It's not quick, since building the required colour density takes three or four coats with six hours between them, but it works.

Adam

Edited by Adam

• RMweb Gold

Interesting - how are you applying the Precision Paint, Jol? I've had no luck with their paint applied neat by brush but have had good results with several well-thinned coats in both dull and matt(ish) as well as satin finishes with decent brushes. It's not quick, since building the required colour density takes three or four coats with six hours between them, but it works.

Adam

I've never brushed precision paints, always sprayed it, 50/50

A couple of points I've noticed here, The only place that says these wagons were in crimson lake is in the kit's instructions, all mentions of colour I've seen says fitted stock 'Indian Red', the other is that they had spoked wheels (3' 6").  

Paul,

I was unsure, so asked at the NERA stand at the York MRS on the recommendation of a friend who is a NER modeller. The gentleman I spoke to said that Indian Red would be correct, but as there are several "versions" of that and PPP didn't list one for the NER, I went with the Crimson Lake. It'll get airbrushed with "dirty" varnish when the lettering is done (any suggestions other than the HMRS sheet, where there isn't anything small enough as far as I can see?). The wheels are easily changed and I may have some "in stock".

Adam

Adam,

brushed slightly thinned, two coats. I've never really had problems with Humbrol or Revell (especially the older formulations) or most of the PPP colours I have used.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

I was unsure, so asked at the NERA stand at the York MRS on the recommendation of a friend who is a NER modeller. The gentleman I spoke to said that Indian Red would be correct, but as there are several "versions" of that and PPP didn't list one for the NER, I went with the Crimson Lake. It'll get airbrushed with "dirty" varnish when the lettering is done (any suggestions other than the HMRS sheet, where there isn't anything small enough as far as I can see?). The wheels are easily changed and I may have some "in stock"

Jol

Right or wrong I use Vallejo Game Colour "Dark Fleshtone" which is a nice rich red oxide colour. I dont think anyone knows what NER Indian red looks like, all descriptions lead to the red oxide, probably what became LNER red oxide.

As for the transfers I will be printing some the correct size myself when I get it painted.

• RMweb Gold

I notice that the brake lever is at the left end - was that usual ?

Morton Duplex brakes, came before the Morton clutch. Seen on many pre-grouping wagons after they were told to put levers on both sides, later they both had to be facing to the right which used the Morton clutch.

http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/4-rstock/04arstock2f.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I got one of these clamps after seeing this - took 3 weeks to arrive and I got clobbered with £11.53 customs charge on top of the 8 or 9 quid of postage. I take it this isn't normal?

Don't remember a customs charge on mine, think they just arrived, I think it's the luck of the draw, they pick one out to charge at random.

• 3 months later...

Triple congratulations.

So, the modified RTR trophy - what's the symbolism? RTR just the tip of the iceberg of railway modelling?

It's been around a long time, I think, dating from back when RTR was, erm, substantially less good. That said, I wonder whether this is the first reworked Mainline J72 to get the nod - that moulding is almost as old as I am!

Adam

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...