Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

I've always admired the BTP tanks (and the Midland's Kirtley 0-4-4 WTs which are similarly visually unbalanced) and am slightly envious at the speed it's been built...

Paul,

Now they are bonny. Where is this?

Cheers

Mike

Can only be the Tanfield Railway (somewhere I really must go...).

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Now they are bonny. Where is this?

Cheers

Mike

As Adam has said it is the Tanfield Railway. Brilliant day everyone is so friendly there, great atmosphere, the timetable goes out the window but no one is really worried. We were lucky with the rain, only got a soaking walking back to the car. There's some photos in the thread in the preservation section.

• Like 1

I've always admired the BTP tanks (and the Midland's Kirtley 0-4-4 WTs which are similarly visually unbalanced) and am slightly envious at the speed it's been built...

Can only be the Tanfield Railway (somewhere I really must go...).

Adam

Adam come for next years event. You won't get out of the yard, it's full of wagons like this...

post-1303-0-96006100-1529252322_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-97842200-1529252343_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-92270500-1529252365_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-11579400-1529252387_thumb.jpg

Did you spot the interesting wheels under that ex GW van?

post-1303-0-38089000-1529252418_thumb.jpg

6 hole disc wheels...

post-1303-0-59981300-1529252440_thumb.jpg

Mike

• Like 15

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh b###er I have one of those but mine is lined out looks like a repaint is in order!!

Still we live and learn lol

Not sure whether it should be lined or not, a glance at the prototype photo seems to show a line along the floor, on closer inspection it's light reflecting on the edge of the floor, but could there be a fine (yellow) line around the drop door?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been working on and off over the last few weeks on a 51L NER C1 open fish wagon, it's a quite open whitemetal frame and I've found that it's rather delicate, having a couple of near disasters tweaking it straight! luckily it went back together ok. With the kit you get two pieces of planked plasticard neither of which are of any use as the floors were treated with bitumen and had a gutter running the length of the wagon. The other piece is intended for the sides but the sides were slatted so these have been added with 60 x 20 thou plastic strip.

post-7104-0-90238600-1535490715_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-40919800-1535490719_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Been working on and off over the last few weeks on a 51L NER C1 open fish wagon, it's a quite open whitemetal frame and I've found that it's rather delicate, having a couple of near disasters tweaking it straight! luckily it went back together ok. With the kit you get two pieces of planked plasticard neither of which are of any use as the floors were treated with bitumen and had a gutter running the length of the wagon. The other piece is intended for the sides but the sides were slatted so these have been added with 60 x 20 thou plastic strip.

attachicon.gifIMGP0563-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0564-001.JPG

Nice work, Paul.

I built a 51L/Wizard kit earlier this year and while it had the plasticard for the floor, the slatted sides were w/m castings. I think I bought it two or three years ago from Andrew at a show.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

Nice work, Paul.

I built a 51L/Wizard kit earlier this year and while it had the plasticard for the floor, the slatted sides were w/m castings. I think I bought it two or three years ago from Andrew at a show.

Jol

This is one that someone gave me a couple of years ago so could be older and the kit may have been changed sometime, it was in 51L (Andrew's) packaging though, I'm assuming this was originally a D&S kit?

This is one that someone gave me a couple of years ago so could be older and the kit may have been changed sometime, it was in 51L (Andrew's) packaging though, I'm assuming this was originally a D&S kit?

It was originally a D&S kit, I had a set of the original instructions. One has just sold on ebay for more than £40. Stupid prices - or should that be bidders - is fairly normal for D&S kits on ebay.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMGP0563-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0564-001.JPG

That's never going to hold water - the fish would all fall out of the sides.

• RMweb Premium

I've not seen this kit in the flesh - or at least not examined it closely - but I can't but suspect that the plasticard planking will give a finer appearance than the cast whitemetal.

I read on here somewhere - in the context of a LNWR accident photo I think - that these trucks were hired out to other companies. Being dual fitted, they could of course go anywhere. Is any more known about this?

• RMweb Premium

That's never going to hold water - the fish would all fall out of the sides.

Now you're confusing this with a fish tank truck. The Midland had some - D428 - delightful vehicles, looking something like a carriage truck but with a demountable box containing four tanks for live fish, all in fully lined passenger livery. (The truck and box, that is, not the fish.)

I'd supposed the slats were to let the smell out but that doesn't seem so necessary for an open fish truck?

I've not seen this kit in the flesh - or at least not examined it closely - but I can't but suspect that the plasticard planking will give a finer appearance than the cast whitemetal.

I read on here somewhere - in the context of a LNWR accident photo I think - that these trucks were hired out to other companies. Being dual fitted, they could of course go anywhere. Is any more known about this?

This is the kit built as supplied with w/m cast slats. They were crisp castings but sadly the PPP paint didn't like being hand brushed and, despite being well stirred hasn't gone on too well. Hopefully it'll look better when varnised after I can sort out some transfers for the lettering/numbers.

post-1191-0-60147600-1535545321_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I think this was the discussion, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113035-more-pre-grouping-wagons-in-4mm-the-d299-appreciation-thread/?p=3138453 

This rather poor photo sort of shows the floor gutter arrangement, just, in the door opening. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113035-more-pre-grouping-wagons-in-4mm-the-d299-appreciation-thread/?p=3138881

• RMweb Premium

sadly the PPP paint didn't like being hand brushed and, despite being well stirred hasn't gone on too well. 

I've had that - what undercoat did you use? Halfords grey plastic primer has been fine but I got poor results using Precision enamel over their acrylic-based white primer. I've not had any problems with their red primer, also acrylic based, but I think I've only used Humbrol enamels or Halfords cans over that.

Ha! On my own thread. Thanks!

I've had that - what undercoat did you use? Halfords grey plastic primer has been fine but I got poor results using Precision enamel over their acrylic-based white primer. I've not had any problems with their red primer, also acrylic based, but I think I've only used Humbrol enamels or Halfords cans over that.

Ha! On my own thread. Thanks!

Stephen,

I generally use U-POL grey etch primer, followed by Halfords red oxide as undercoat red/brown red/brown top coats. This isn't the first time I have had difficulty.getting an acceptable finish brush painting PPP. Normally I airbrush my models but for this one off, I thought brush painting with a new tin of satin NER crimson red would be okay. Perhaps I should have stirred it much more.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

This is the kit built as supplied with w/m cast slats. They were crisp castings but sadly the PPP paint didn't like being hand brushed and, despite being well stirred hasn't gone on too well. Hopefully it'll look better when varnised after I can sort out some transfers for the lettering/numbers.

attachicon.gifNER D1 Fish truck 2.jpg

A couple of points I've noticed here, The only place that says these wagons were in crimson lake is in the kit's instructions, all mentions of colour I've seen says fitted stock 'Indian Red', the other is that they had spoked wheels (3' 6").