Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

I was wanting something different to do after the class 59 and I was flicking through LNER wagons vol. 2 and came across the section on traction engine wagons and Rectanks and wondered how big a job the 35t traction engine wagon would be, there is no drawing in the book but the NERA wagon diagram book has a decent drawing including a reasonable representation of the 'adjustable chocks'. It's built from plasticard and strip with ABS whitemetal bogies, probably from the rectank as the springs are slightly different, I'm not worrying about this too much though. There's still more lettering to do yet.

post-7104-0-40125600-1510269478_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-75656300-1510269481_thumb.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Barry O has something similar to that which runs on Grantham. Do you read Dave Jobling's thread on the LNER forum? He turns out little scratchbuilt wonders like that, although not quite so quickly.

Not seen it before but have now, thanks, some good stuff there.

Very nice Paul

Which buffers have you used?

Fettled up out of plastic rod with 51L buffer heads.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been building a few wagons lately and thoughts turned to all those wagons already built but without or incorrect number plates, these were drawn up on the computer and printed on ordinary paper on a laser printer, this makes them 'waterproof' in that inkjet ink will wash off but the laser toner won't. I gave them a grey background so that I didn't have to cut right in to the reversed corners. The words North Eastern really should be curved and I will try to sort this wnen I make the next batch, got to build more wagons then...

attachicon.gifIMGP0330-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0335-001.JPG

Fixed to the solebar with Klear then given a coat over the top to seal them.

attachicon.gifIMGP0338-001.JPG

Now there's a thought for all those Midland wagons of mine that share the half-dozen numbers on the Slater's pressfix sheet...

• RMweb Premium

What type and size of  font  have you used?

Or, pedantically rephrased, what typeface and font size?

Of course the prototype won't match any modern type (or font, if one must) but at this size that's not a big deal. The key think is that it should have verticals and horizontals of roughly the same thickness - Arial Bold, though wrong in several respects, its probably near enough. In a package such as CorelDraw it can be stretch and manipulated to shape. It's what I used for my attempt at GWR cast plates.

Edited by Compound2632

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having a little break from working on the layout and working on a couple of wagons I've wanted to have a go at for a while now, a couple of Hull & Barnsley opens - a 4 plank and a 5 plank. Basic structure complete, now for detailing.

post-7104-0-10446900-1519675014_thumb.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Paul, exactly which wagons are they? I will probably have prototype photo's.

Hi Mick,

I'm using the drawing and photos of Diagram 1 in LNER wagons Vol. 2 pages 10 & 11. I was only building the 4 plank one but started measuring the 5 plank end of the drawing so decided to build one of each...