Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh, no, started another loco, I'll leave you guessing for now what it will be, it's a scratchbuilt 0-6-0 tender loco, there's no kit available (and I don't think there ever has been one).

post-7104-0-88333300-1479925840_thumb.jpg

Next a question, this is an old Kirk kit for a GWR van, could anyone let me know what it is exactly and some numbers, capacity and tare weights please? Oh, and what type of brakes.

post-7104-0-44962300-1479925849_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Oh, no, started another loco, I'll leave you guessing for now what it will be, it's a scratchbuilt 0-6-0 tender loco, there's no kit available (and I don't think there ever has been one).

attachicon.gifIMGP9675-001.JPG

Next a question, this is an old Kirk kit for a GWR van, could anyone let me know what it is exactly and some numbers, capacity and tare weights please? Oh, and what type of brakes.

attachicon.gifIMGP9676-001.JPG

Your period Churchward ratchet (have I spelt that correctly?) brakes I would have thought

Andy

attachicon.gifIMGP9676-001.JPG

These predated the Diagram Book having been built in the 1880s. Ordinary "double-lever brakes" on one side only – they were NEVER fitted with DC brakes. They were rated to carry 8 tons when originally built with grease 'boxes, but were uprated to 10 tons when fitted with oil 'boxes in 1900s. Suitable numbers 22332, 22583, 27655, 35236, 37023, and 37291.  Production ceased in 1886 when the GWR switched to iron bodied vans – the famous Iron Minks. By the way, 27655 was one of the last batch produced and had steel channel solebars in place of bulb iron but this is pretty much impossible to see in a 4mm scale model. Is this enough to be getting on with?

To continue the guessing game, how about a McDonnell Class 59??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's the one. 1489 to be precice,a Stephenson built one, luckily they're the ones with a straight footplate.

Paul

There nearly was a kit. I was presented with a GA of the Stephenson builds.That person wanted me to produce a kit for the '59' but he wanted the curly footplate version. Neither of us being able lo locate any details of the Darlington builds the project fell by the wayside and there it remains.

Good luck with the build.

ArthurK

• RMweb Gold

I looked at that and thought it was a straight lift from his GSWR 101 / GSR J15 - a go-anywhere design that was never really bettered in Ireland despite at least two subsequent attempts.

I think he just took his drawings with him, a bit like TW did from the Great Eastern a little later. McDonnell's mistake was to upset Fletcher's loyal men, oh, and design a new, bigger express passenger loco that was much less powerful than the 901s that it was meant to replace.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to information supplied by Wagonman good progress has been made on the GWR van, brake gear I think is from a Parkside gunpowder van, buffers from LMS, brake lever Cambrian and the roof (not fixed down yet) from the kitchen window - no, not really, but it is a piece of an old Venetian blind.

post-7104-0-92720500-1480030382_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the splasher beading. Attached pictures of the way I do it - D20 and Y9 (tank-smokebox flange, not splashers!). Take your time: the D20 ones probably took me 10 attempts to get 4 absolutely even - 30 mins each, multiplied by 4 = yikes, 20hours! 

post-708-0-49158600-1480057725.jpg

post-708-0-00579300-1480057762.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was planning on soldering on wire then filing back, but other options will be considered, I like the idea of the etch, as long as the sizes are right.

If you solder wire, you'll have to solder it twice. The first time you solder it, you can flatten one side, but then you'll have to unsolder it and flip it over, to flatten it again - if not it will be half-round and sit oddly proud. You cannot flatten it and then shape it into a curve as it will twist as you do so.