Bachmann announcements - 2011

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

It seems to me like Bachmann are coming to the Bluebell's 50th anniversary party a year late... ;)

However, great to see the Dukedog. Puzzled about the C, welcome though it is. I though Bachmann weren't interested in anything Southern or Pre-Southern related? :blink:

Some of the scenecraft buildings suggest an interest developing in the preservation lines, with Sheffield Park, Great Central and Blue Anchor represented.

Porthole stock and preslos :D . Does anyone know what diags the ports represent? The Earl and C? Leftfield choices and then some. I like the earl so will definetly.

Well, I am genuinely gobsmacked. Not only do we have a pre-grouping 0-6-0 in pre-grouping livery, but also a stunning outside framed GWR Earl! I just can't believe my luck compared to how quietly disappointed I was with the Hornby announcements. Thank you Bachmann!

Just looking through the Scenecraft announcements, I wonder whether Bachmann had a profitable tie up with that Bluebell Railway booking office. There now seems to be not only the booking office, but separate canopy, waiting room with toilet, store room, signal cabin and footbridge, all 'Sheffield Park' branded. Hopefully the Bluebell will get a little bit of image rights money to help them with their extension.

This is simply excellent stuff, and I'll be having to dig deep whenever all this actually gets released onto the shelves.

One question picked up on earlier though. Will the Earl come analogue, rather than just DCC on board, for the GWR livery? Unfortunately I seem to be one of the few young modellers who have yet to bother with DCC...

• RMweb Premium

New Branchline OO Scale Locomotives

3200 Earl GW 4-4-0

..........This post will be edited and updated during the day with further information.

Excellent Andy thanks very much.

Thats just a taster:

http://www.Bachmann....cted=branchline

Looking through the release list on the Bachmann website, it looks to be a varied and at the moment an ambitious release programme.

Great news that the Dukedog will be available, at last a Great Western branch-line 4-4-0 to modern standards. (Maybe we will see some Toplights after all !).

I thought the Collet Goods looks strange with the ROD tender behind. I wonder how many ran like that? - My copy of GW engines, makes no reference, but not to worry. I assume this is the split chasis version, rather than a brand new loco.

Good news also to see the Collett coaches back into the 1930's GW roundel livery.

Great also to see so many new PO livery wagons (something Hornby seem to be moving away from(?)).

All in all it looks like a huge choice for almost all modellers! - Hardly a conservative / recession release. Well done Bachmann and thanks! - from this happy Great Western modeller!

I thought the Collet Goods looks strange with the ROD tender behind. I wonder how many ran like that? - My copy of GW engines, makes no reference, but not to worry. I assume this is the split chasis version, rather than a brand new loco.

The Collett 2251 hasn't had a split chassis for years. Mine is about 7 years old and that hasn't. Still a sod to DCC it though.

• RMweb Premium

The Collett 2251 hasn't had a split chassis for years. Mine is about 7 years old and that hasn't. Still a sod to DCC it though.

Ok thanks.

Agreed on DCC point

Ah ok, well that is no good for me until it comes out as DCC ready then. My electrics skills leave something to be desired!!

In terms of the announcement, the Dukedog is both the logical development from their existing City mechanism, and a damn good choice all round. Not my era, area, etc etc...but the attraction of a Dukedog goes beyond the logical!

The B1 looks like it will replicate the 75000 duplication. Unless they are very far along with retooling this, I have to ask - why press on with it?

Will it be a budget variant in itself? That goes the same for the A4 and V2. That sounds simply like the chassis underneath the body is being replaced, and nothing more. On that basis, is Bachmann doing a "railroad" range of its own to some extent?

One can only speculate, but the decision to re-chassis the B1 when its more than likely a superior Hornby model is coming, flummoxes me.

The scenecraft platform tug will be well received by me, Bachmann are producing a number of items which will fit nicely on my next layout. Surprised/disapoitned by no BR CCT but there is always next year!

• RMweb Premium

Are there any indications when the proposed new items will get released?

With so many locos (in particular) still in the pipeline from the current schedule, I assume we are looking at a steady releaseprogramme to cover teh next 2 years???.

I'm resigned to the fact that no one's making a J15.

But they are doing another small pre-group 0-6-0 to follow the Johnson 3F, and that's the really welcome news considering their past performance of 'working around the regions' with locomotive types. The C class is the right choice as the most numerous SR 0-6-0, and a good ambassador for these types as it is a very neat design. Stanier portholes, Mk1 sleeper, new wagons, lods of good stuff, as usual.

• RMweb Gold

Ah ok, well that is no good for me until it comes out as DCC ready then. My electrics skills leave something to be desired!!

If you look at the Bachmann website it states both Collet Goods are 8 pin DCC ready. :D

Still no LNER small locos, so will have to wait. No J's, any would have done, though my preference would have been a J27.

I would prefer a V1/V3 2-6-2T chassis upgrade. My V2 is still running very well, though I may buy a new chassis to fit to the old one when it goes.

No Director 4-4-0, so may save up and build one. Then one will come out.

Only purchase will be the MK1 TPO sorting van maroon.

Mark

The Dukedog and "C" 0-6-0 are really welcome - both have lots of vocal fans, I really hope they will be commercially successful.

Some interesting bits and pieces scattered around, surely something for nearly everyone.

HOWEVER, looking at the prices I think the thread may go the way of the Xmas Hornby thread.

On the locomotive front, very dissapointing - nothing for north of the border yet again, and why re chassis the A4?, and the V2 needs a new body not just a new chassis.

However, on the rolling stock side very good, sleepers,TPO's, polybulks, covhops - and some good new loco liveries as well.

Just look at the Farish stuff though :O N gaugers must be over the moon !

In terms of the announcement, the Dukedog is both the logical development from their existing City mechanism, and a damn good choice all round. Not my era, area, etc etc...but the attraction of a Dukedog goes beyond the logical!

The B1 looks like it will replicate the 75000 duplication. Unless they are very far along with retooling this, I have to ask - why press on with it?

Will it be a budget variant in itself? That goes the same for the A4 and V2. That sounds simply like the chassis underneath the body is being replaced, and nothing more. On that basis, is Bachmann doing a "railroad" range of its own to some extent?

One can only speculate, but the decision to re-chassis the B1 when its more than likely a superior Hornby model is coming, flummoxes me.

You kinda put into words what I was thining. The B1 isn't a bad model. The V2 and A4 bodies are look long

in the tooth. The V2 a good starting point but the chimney and dome and body generally poor. It only just looks like a V2. The A4 - well and truly superseed by Hornby's offering. All items need new bodies to compete. Atleast the flimsy rear cartazzi's has gone!

The Thompsons too a release of old tooling. Unless more details come to the for - not as great a year as the initially thought!

If you look at the Bachmann website it states both Collet Goods are 8 pin DCC ready. :D

That will help a great deal. I had to put mine in the tender. It was that or mill out the chassis block.

It's good to see that they are doing the Presflo in Blue Circle yellow, both singly and as a 3-pack, different numbers I hope. As a kid I remember these at Westbury. Long trains of them hauled by a Hymek and banked up through Dilton Marsh by a West Country.

The porthole stock is another welcome release if you model the S&D. No excursion would be complete without a couple of these.

It's good to see the Mk1 sleepers, although hard for me to justify.

105 power twin just what I wanted, LMS porthole stock going to have to have some of those if up to or better than the current Mk 1's.

TPO sorting coaches can feel a postal apearing behind a EE type 4 (class 40) with sound.

What does seem interesting is the LMS twins and what price Rails will be doing them at if Bachmann will be releasing them for less than £90(Kernows price). At first glance the price undercuts the Hattons/Dapol one by a good amount. Just wonder which one I shall go for shall wait and see rails response on price. :D :D :D

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news on the Earl/Dukedog release.I was told years ago that pre grouping locos don't sell.Having them in BR livery might be the difference.The problem I have is wanting to renumber a Castle to one with an Earl nameplate.My layout will have to be 1946 onwards now. ;)

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/m_in_440_dukedog.htm

I just can't believe my luck compared to how quietly disappointed I was with the Hornby announcements.

Top quote so far I think - in a year when the financial brakes are on, this is IMO a quietly ambitious programme. Compared to Hornby the choice of subjects is widespread and intelligent, and the pricing structure is much more; [thinks...] well, structured really...

I had a quiet little bet with myself about the B1cool.gif - in effect, they're playing the same game as Hornby are with their old faves the 2P and 4F. We've never really found out any logical outcome to the Standard 4 duplication (I keep forgetting to ask my local bloke how his sales went), but as a summation, I'd say the Bachmann one will be cheaper and more robust. As a mate of mine said, the Hornby one will probably be a bit 'pretty'

Personally pleased about the Cravens power twins, it's another angle on the type with minimal investment and I may just have to lash up a 104 trailer conversion to make a representative LMR triple. And no new Met Cam I seewink.gif I'm also surprised nobody's moaned that the Portholes are (initially I expect) only in blood n custard

Wagons are interesting on many levels; difficult to get my head round the Polybulks without pictures and I dont have time to dig the files out ATM but with those liveries, they dont look like the obvious choices. The Covhop is brave, and pretty keenly priced to boot. No completely new wagon range to follow the LNER types but a couple of less obvious things are the soda ash variant of the steel High and the non-ventilated version of the corrugated-end van; two less conversions to do, methinks.

Archived