Bachmann announcements - 2011

Andy Y

No-one has mentioned the weathered Maroon MK1'syet. Good move by Bachmann.

Pleased to see the Dukedog, C Class and 419 - 3very good and interesting models definantly have to get the first 2.

Soundfitted Patriot based at Bristol and a Leeds based peak with sound suits me. Going to get expensive me thinks.

I agree re A4, B1 and V2 they are only good enough for a budget range. Cant see many people buying them just for a new chassis.

The V1/V3 and J39 with a new tender would have been a much better choice as neither have any competition from Hornby.

No comment re prices :unsure:

The Bluebell is being very well served and beautiful locos have been chosen. I am sure they will get something for the loco and building use .

I was hoping for some LNER livery versions on the new wagons but they are easier enough to back convert and very good value

The announcement of an SR 25T pillbox is very welcome as it is the signature model of many SR layouts. I am not disappointed by the coverage of models and Bachmann have gone some way to please everyone in some way, the fact that they have the courage to release two small pre-grouping locos is amazing and much admired.

Although my wallet will not suffer too much, I am still very happy to see that the hobby is able to sustain such a courageous release programme.

DesA

• RMweb Premium

First question : "Will the Motor Luggage Vans also be fitted with traction batteries for non-electrified lines?" :lol:

Because if they're not I might have to add a battery or two to mine B)

Second question : Has the dust settled in Liverpool yet? I see some toes being stepped on here or some astute commercial brinkmanship. Possibly both.

Some sound business decisions in terms of wagons and some more of the same but with dirt applied for the Mk 1 range. More class 42 Warships but still no NBL class 43. This may not be the year to invest heavily in new tooling but classes 116/7/8 and 120 are often asked for and ought to sell well. Nothing. Weathered class 46 D186 - nice, will add to pre-orders along with b/g Mk1 sleepers and possibly the maroon ones also.

I believe the rights to exclusive limited editions expire after two years; the LT pannier and POS vans would be outside that period by delivery.

And the anticipated significant hike in prices which is actually not as steep as that from Hornby and seems to be more consistently applied across the range.

In summary : ample interest and worthy new items to look forward to over the next year or two here.

I am VERY excited at what is being released this year-

C class in SECR (And I dare say next year this may lead to an 01, as, to my eye anyway, they are quite similar in design and would just need some tweaks to become so.)

Earl Class, albeit I am surprised they didn't choose to do 9017 in it's GWR livery....

2MT (I know this may have been released before, but still...)

Collett (As above)

I will certainly be getting the SECR C class, probably try renumbering it for my layout, but I'll hope to get an Earl one day too.

Thank you Bachmann!

The B1 ... Will it be a budget variant in itself? That goes the same for the A4 and V2.

On that basis, is Bachmann doing a "railroad" range of its own to some extent?

Interesting idea, except the prices seem to suggest otherwise -- £122 RRP for the Bachmann A4, when Hornby's own Railroad version of it RRPs at £72 and £84 (I assume the latter is the latest price).

Also intriguing to compare pricing of competitor and non-competitor models: the Bachmann B1 is showing an RRP of £93 while the Hornby B1 is £120; the Bachmann V2 is £111 compared to, say, Hornby King Arthur class also at £111 (that's not a brilliant comparison, but I was looking for 6-coupled steam engines which were not brand new but were to the latest standard, since Bachmann is apparently not upgrading the V2 body). Maybe this competition thing is good for customers?

Very much welcome the porthole stock: I'm really pleased Bachmann is extending the range of its coaching stock that is to modern standards of fidelity.

Paul

A V2 with a functioning chassis makes me happy. Hopefully the body shell will mount in the same manner so the chassis can be used under previous releases. Same with the B1 really. A4 might be interesting depending on price, I've never owned one but if Tony Wright has used them as a base for "proper" models in the past they can't be all bad. The "C" class is outside my area but I spent a good half hour on the Bluebell last summer examining the prototype at Horstead Keynes and it is a thing of beauty. The Dukedog isn't my cup of tea but I think it's a good choice, interesting (outside frame) and versitile prototype.

Okay, Okay, Okay,

I respectfully concede, without complaint, that there must be a very good reason for not producing the models that I would have liked this year.

The main manufacturers are obviously avoiding the Class 59, 67, 71, 73, Mk2's etc for a good reason, and so I hope Bachmann and others do well with what they have announced for the next eighteen months or so.

The MLV looks interesting and the TPO coaches will tempt me, although I'm unsure why release the MLV head to head with the Replica one, apart from the exisiting tools availability ?

Dave

Sorry to go against the general rule of thumb, but Im disapointed in the range.

Nothing modelled for those in the North East again steam wise when everyone already has enough V2s, A1's and A4s - not all of which are examples from Bachmann. All those lovely LNER freight wagons, and 16T wagons I was generally thinking there might be some nice north eastern machine like a K1, or Q6 to haul them. If this Earl and C class sell then theres no reason at all why a J21 wouldnt. Will anyone model something from up here?

My other interest of modern image is poorly served - theres no second generation unit like a 156 which would sell like hot cakes. No relivery of things like the 47 - no example in RES, EWS or Intercity thats not an expensive limited editon, neither is there the expected Mk. 2d air conditioned stock...

Think Bachmann has missed out on the obvious to focus on the quaint...

Very interesting especially on the N Gauge side of things,

Certainly seems that Bachmann are being a little more adventurous than the competition!

Mind you the new items will more than likely be a long time arriving!

HOWEVER the positive thing emerging from all this is for me to start on (YET) another N gauge layout, the timber has been waiting in the garage for a while but I could not decide whether to bother!!:lol:

Guest LNER Tom

As an ex LNER modeller, I am left feeling a bit cold, the new chassis on the A4, B1 and V2 is long overdue, but as has been said, no body upgard? blink.gif

IMO the Hornby A4 is so much the leading loco, why the A4 is still in the Bachmann range Is beyond me, I know the Hornby one is that but more expensive, but when you look what's on the Hornby version and what's on the Bachmann A4....I can understand the difference.

The only one of the older range that I see keeping interest is the V2 seen as no one else does one....but one good thing....Yay for a fixed cartazzi! laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Mk1 Suburbans back with a better livery colour ;) and some Maroon Thompsons, plus new Mk1s!

Definitely some things to eat my wallet ;)

For those modelling the areas/eras catered for, it’s an interesting list and Bachmann must have done their homework. Me? No, nothing there whatsoever, which is great news for my wallet and Wife! I too had hoped for a J15, a J50 was always a long shot but apart from a Derby Lightweight I have on order, it looks like Bachmann will continue to only supply the wagons to my Hornby locos. Don’t quite understand the reasoning for the A4 and B1 ‘upgrades’ either. If both are only going to have chassis and mechanism improvements, then the Hornby A4 will remain the superior model. As for the B1, time will tell but I know who my money is on. The LMS twins – I wonder what the story is there?

• RMweb Gold

I don't think its been mentioned so far but it appears from the website that they will be producing an Ivatt 2MT tank - it surely must have a new chassis and DCC ready?

Andy's original post says that he will update later, so things are fluid at the moment.

Very good new range and the rolling stock especially freight are exceptional - yellow presflos and Mk 1 sleepers are straight on the shopping list

Neil

Guest Max Stafford

To be fair, this is a more interesting programme than met my jaded eye at 2am. I'm very pleased to see that the porthole coaches and long predicted Covhop and sleeper are here. I will now be able to replicate the Larbert soda ash train as it diverts through Inchkennet on engineering days! :D Nice to see an expansion of the postal range too.

I do welcome the new chassis for the V2 which will at least allow me to concentrate on the 'upstairs' of the model though I'm not sure if the B1 will be worth their bothering.

Good luck to those of you who are pleased with the new loco classes. Even though there's nowt there that I'll be spending on apart possibly from the green twins, I can see the boldness of the Wainwright and the tool-maximising logic of that GWR thing. My disappointment at the lack of northern types is largely offset by the range of new rolling stock so it does indeed look like Bachmann have made an earnest effort to please everybody in some way and if I were modelling the Speedlink era, I'd be well pleased with the Polybulk which was a real 'face' in the wagon department of those days.

Since I'll have Hornby B1s to pay for and (quality & actual appearance permitting) Dapol NBLs, it's probably a good thing that loco releases don't figure highly this year.

Dave.

I see the N gaugers are getting the SPA coil wagon. One day we may see that in 00!

Well I nearly guessed right in the other thread, shame it's in four mil' - back to Cambrian for me! :lol:

I agree re A4, B1 and V2 they are only good enough for a budget range.

As an ex LNER modeller, I am left feeling a bit cold, the new chassis on the A4, B1 and V2 is long overdue, but as has been said, no body upgard? blink.gif

I'm amazed at the negativity towards the B1 - the body mouldings are superb. Add Bradwell castings and the body can be top notch very easily.

Well I nearly guessed right in the other thread, shame it's in four mil' - back to Cambrian for me! :lol:

I'm amazed at the negativity towards the B1 - the body mouldings are superb. Add Bradwell castings and the body can be top notch very easily.

FTG models are doing a SPA in four mill see under small suppliers. I think Bachmann might do it next year if they are using there data from the n gauge version.

Archived