Bachmann announcements - 2011

Andy Y

From what I've read, the 'C' class's pretty colours ensure it will be puchased by the "I run what I like" people. People modelling a real railway period might be a different matter. In fact I'll bet my best hat it will be a loser like the Bullied 0-6-0.B)

Guest dilbert

Trust me he isn’t alone! His attitude is shared by many that are dismayed and disillusioned by the idea that you cannot model anything with a more industrial or northern eastern heritage. Yes the C class and Duke dog mean that the Bluebell railway is modelled in 2011, but as someone else has said, how many eastern region engines have been made by both companies, and then how many of them are NOT a top-link express service.

If you modelled a Q6, J21 and J27, you would almost recreate the north east, as the 4MT, 3MT-T, Ivatt 4MT and 2MT, are already modelled, this before you add an express engine. Only the L1 bucks the trend. Three models is not many to do to recreate a region where wagons would sell by the trainload needed to recreate them.

The question is which are of the Eastern region do you model, and with a Brit, L1 and B17 I expect Hornby might model the more Britten favoured area of Anglia. Bachmann have all the foresight and capabilities to know that the north east with its rich heritage is a region and area that would be an interesting idea for modellers to do. I maintain that modellers will model what is made by the companies – how many shed layouts will spring up as Bachmann made the shed and tower, or Bluebell railways will be modelled now.

Three engines to make a region possible and boost sales of engines related to the region.... the question isn’t why not? Its why it hasn’t happened yet!

I think you are missing the point - the announcement is IMO a balanced view of meeting the varied expectations of modellers (and probably collectors) that span decades of prototype railway history. The fact that a Q6, J21 and J27 (or whatever LNER loco class) is missing doesn't really disrupt that balance significantly. Modellers of other regions could make the same claim.

I do find curious the fact that yet another version of Mallard plus news of an upgraded B1 has been announced - I find this type of duplication daft, but others find it great because it introduces 'competition' in a very small part of the market from a pricing perspective - it also deflects from other investments... dilbert

The replies to this thread seem very polarised between those who got what they wanted (and are happy) and those that didn't (and aren't).

The talk of "why the B1 chassis.... needless duplication....blah blah!" is getting tiring. Bachmann have had a B1 model in and out of their range for years. They have every right to upgrade it if they so chose. Hornby have upgraded some of their range, so why not Bachmann? I don't remember it being a game of bagsy on models with no-one else being allowed to make them. Some people on a limited budget might just welcome a more budget priced version of the B1.

I'm glad to see a pre-grouping livery finally appear in the main range. I suspect that I am not alone in buying gaily* coloured locomotives that fall well outside my modelling era and it will make the fifth RTR locomotive in pre-grouping livery to adorn my office's display cabinet. All we need is some pre-grouping stock to match it now. I suspect we may be left waiting somewhat longer for that.

Re-runs of the 03 are most welcome in BR blue, though I'm surprised that no vacuum only locos have appeared in the livery. It also surprises me that a new chassis hasn't turned up for the 04 (one of my favourite Bachmann models) though I must add that for those of us not doing the DCC thing the old split chassis 04 works just fine. There's an impressive selection of the Presflos which I had thought had been rather neglected last year, given the initial fevered demand for the first runs of the model. I feel that Bachmann could have made more of re-liveries of existing freight stock as I'm still waiting for a TOPS era version of the steel open. I also miss the ready-weathered 16tonners which are again absent save for 37-377G. What happened to the 37-253x and 37-254x releases that have been conspicuous from the catalogue for several years by their absence? Steel mineral wagons look a little odd when totally clean - I don't remember them like that! The iron/chalk tipplers too would benefit from re-release of the factory weathered versions.

The re-release of 25279 seems a slightly odd choice to me. This loco was represented as one of the very first Bachmann class 25 releases and I would have preferred a different running number that hasn't already been issued. The LMS 10000/1 in the main catalogue also seems odd. I was under the impression that Rails had an exclusive on these. I've checked their website and there is no mention of these also appearing as catalogue items. Unless Rails are doing their versions for the same prices that Bachmann will be doing the three that they have announced, that is only going to end in tears.

*I may have spent some of the morning reading a Famous Five book to my nephew.

well,

we will always get the 'there's nothing for me' or 'what a year' responses !

For me the polybulk will be great , as long as it's a grain jobby.

I think, personally, we get the most reruns in things that have sold well over the year, hence:

- limited mk2 coaches

-no new 47 liveries

these 2 have been available heavily discounted so I don't think they have shifted well to be honest.

It would appear from my theory that the class 03 has been flying off the shelves !

Oh, and why are they doing 47148 with sound ? surely a new number would be appropriate for those of us who already bought that one.

God bless Bachmann for finally doing the cov-hops in three different guises, as someone who grew up in northwich, i was used to seeing hundreds of the damn things, am crowbarring the wallet open to let the moths escape before placing large order for a couple of rakes at least. has anyone got a picture of what a SR pill box brake van actually looks like, as a northerner i cant picture them ?.

I am with you on that. Memories of Hartford Jn, Skelton Jn. North Wales coast, Chester days out from mid 70s....joy!

Spotted an interesting one. The Derby light weight DMU says that it's DCC ready one vehicle is 8 pin the other is 6.

Jenny - see my comments on the Rails LMS twins page in this section.

• RMweb Premium

I may have missed something (nothing new there!) but isn't it the case that the LMS twins are listed in green by Bachmann. The black ones are presumably the special commissions from rails?

Guest dilbert

Bachmanns B1 is an unwanted duplication? Wow, it has been in Bachmanns range for years and an upgraded chassis was expected soooner or later. On that score, it seems to me Hornby's B1 is the needless duplication.

Shiva has many hands which means lots of fingers... the issue about duplication is not about who's first - it's about the fact it exists and deflects from other projects - finger-pointing about who is to blame or who holds a righteous position is ridiculous because it leads nowhere - there are few other duplication examples that have built up over time : 9Fs, 57xxs culminating in the latest crap which is the Tornado (to name two or three), now crowned by B1.

At least in the Pullman wars different trains are under development, apparently they will sell - what is interesting is regardless of what is introduced as new appears to have a minor following regarding prototype interest.. dilbert

The only thing of any interest for me is the re-issue of the Green MK1 SO & BSK, but why no re-issue of the CK - the last one was re-leased about 2 years ago.

The only other thing is the MK1 FO appears in N guage but not OO - very disappointed at that.

Quite boring this year for me, but on the positive side at least I'll be saving money.

Regards

Steve

Three versions will be available initiallyas 592 in South Eastern & Chatham Railway livery (31-460), 1256 in SouthernRailway livery (31-461) and 31086 in BR black livery with early emblem (31-462).Recommended retail price is £85.05 for all versions.

All the same price rather kicks into touch Hornby's assersion (or someones) that complicated liveries were more labour intensive and therefore commanded a premium price.

• RMweb Gold

All the same price rather kicks into touch Hornby's assersion (or someones) that complicated liveries were more labour intensive and therefore commanded a premium price.

And thats the RRP.I'm sure the likes of Hattons/Rails will knock them out for less.I bet a loco painter would charge that price just for the painting.Very labour intensive as you said.

Okay gents:

The Thompson B1 for 2011:

Hornby 2011

Price: £ 119.75

Bachmann 2011

Price: £ 99.95

That is as near as makes no difference, £20 between the two models. The question is - do you think the Hornby B1 will be £20 better than the Bachmann B1, or conversely, the Bachmann B1 £20 worse than the Hornby offering?

The prices above reflect both the DCC Ready models. For completion's sake, the DCC fitted Hornby B1 is £ 137.49

Personally speaking, I have thought on it a lot this afternoon, and I feel the £20 difference may sway me to the Bachmann alternative to buy (though Bachmann, if you're reading, I will reiterate my desire for a few replacement chassis' for my older B1s).

• RMweb Premium

Service to Newhaven from up north somewhere to connect with ferries?

For at least a short time in the early 1960s there was a Newhaven - Perth car sleeper. My parents took me on it in, I think,1964 (or maybe a year or two earlier. By the time we next went to Scotland (1968?) it no longer ran. A bit of a long train to model - LMS Duchess, if my memory is right, some day coaches including full catering, several sleepers, and several GUVs for the cars.

ĸen

I'm very pleased to see the GWR Earl - I never thought this would be produced rtr until the City of Truro was produced for the NRM. Since then I've felt it was a virtual certainty. I hope Bulldogs/Dukes follow in the future. Despite already having constructed kit versions of these, I will buy late GWR/early BR versions.

The porthole coaches are very welcome, allowing prototype formations to be put together with the various rtr ranges. Similarly the MkI sleepers and postal vans are welcome. Most of the kits I've built or have yet to build will have been the subject of an rtr model with these introductions. The others will probably follow in the next year or two!!

I welcome the new chassis under the older LNER bodies. Hopefully, the new chassis will fit the older body without too much trouble and they will be made available as spares. The older bodies satisfy my eyes.

The LMS diesel choices are becoming a little complex, and I can't help but agree with those who wouldn't be surprised if some versions end up as "Hattons" or "Rails" bargains.

All in all a good set of releases which will prise some money out of my wallet and which, with all the other announcements of the last 12 months, give us quite a bit to look forward to. Looking back over those announcements, I think Hornby's new projects are the least interesting to me personally.

Colin

Talking of duplication, the new 08 in green (D3986) has the same number as one already released by Hornby ! (R2438, around 2005). And the reason the available Mark 2 coaches are so heavily discounted is that there have been far too few TSOs made, which cannot be had for love or money, and far too many BSOs, BFKs and FKs. I would have thought that producing more TSOs would also stimulate sales of the other types.

And another thing; Between Hornby and Bachmann, modellers of the railways of North-East England have plenty of locos to choose from: Classes 03, 08, 20, 24/25, 31, 37, 40, 45/46, 47, 55 and 56 !

• RMweb Premium

Well I'm really looking forward to the Duke , the only annoyance is that as I will want the GWR green version it will

cost extra because it is already chipped and I dont run DCC .

I have to wonder why Bachmann have done this with that particular loco and not the BR liveried ones ??

Why dont manufacturers just make ALL loco's DCC ready and leave it there ?

Can anyone offer a reason that makes sense of this ?

It wont stop me getting one though . :lol:

Doubt if the price makes much difference to a serious modeller.

They will look for the best looking model and willingly pay the difference, I know I would . On the B1 for example you can expect a whole new tooling etc etc £20 difference !! No competition!! , most will buy the best model , which you presume will be the Hornby version at the present time. The Bachmann version loco body is good , cant say I would say the same for the tender with moulded coal, poor detail etc.

With shop discounting and e bay etc the difference maybe even smaller time will tell.

When I first read the announcement I thought it was one of consolidation; certainly does not excite me for the 00 range. The N gauge announcement is much more exciting even though I don't model in that scale. I suspect that Bachmann have concentrated on the N gauge range rather than the 00 range. Probably not a bad thing as N gauge has been neglected of late.

Important - Errors

There are quite a few typos in the original list regards to running numbers - for some reason existing model running numbers are repeated even if the livery has changed.

Green 08 (39-116) is D3986 not 08173

Blue 03 (31-363) is 03162 not 03066

Green Sound 20 (32-034) is D8138 not D8158

Blue 25 (32-229/32-329) is 25231 not 25245

Green 25 (32-330) is D5183 not D5182

Sound Blue LL 37/4 (32-377) is 37417 not 37406

Blue LL 37 (32-388) is 37427 not 37415

Weathered blue 25 (32-407) is 25279 not 25245

Sound 57 (32-750) is 57003 not 57602

Sound 25 (32-404) is 25276 not D7638

Freightliner sound 66 (32-728) is 66546 not 66702

Green 47 (32-804) is D1825 not D1746

Blue 47 (32-805) is D1547 not 47148

EWS 66 (32-735) is 66209

Sound Deltic (32-529) D9014 not D9017

There may be other typos - my info is confirmed on Bachmann website

Can the original page 1 list be updated for this as there are multiple queries concerning these errors in this thread

Archived