Bachmann announcements - 2011

Andy Y

Important - Errors

There are quite a few typos in the original list regards to running numbers - for some reason existing model running numbers are repeated even if the livery has changed.

Green 08 (39-116) is D3986 not 08173

Blue 03 (31-363) is 03162 not 03066

Green Sound 20 (32-034) is D8138 not D8158

Blue 25 (32-229/32-329) is 25231 not 25245

Green 25 (32-330) is D5183 not D5182

Sound Blue LL 37/4 (32-377) is 37417 not 37406

Blue LL 37 (32-388) is 37427 not 37415

Weathered blue 25 (32-407) is 25279 not 25245

Sound 57 (32-750) is 57003 not 57602

Sound 25 (32-404) is 25276 not D7638

Freightliner sound 66 (32-728) is 66546 not 66702

Green 47 (32-804) is D1825 not D1746

Blue 47 (32-805) is D1547 not 47148

EWS 66 (32-735) is 66209

Sound Deltic (32-529) D9014 not D9017

There may be other typos - my info is confirmed on Bachmann website

That Porthole stock is going to absolutely destroy my modelling budget. The CK alone means that Hornbys Stanier stock is now more attractive when it comes to being able to produce prototypical rakes without having to resort to a Mk1 or a kit, and this is going to make the Twins almost irresistable for me too! S&D fans should be happy with them as well, with the exception of pre-grouping suburbans they fill up the suitable RTR coaching stock list nicely. I definately see the 'C' as a cleverly shrewd move given the number of Hornby SR locomotives we have had leaving a huge hole for something like this, I expect that one to do better than the 3F and pave the way for another 0-6-0 or two next year. The Dukedog is just one of those locomotives which has the 'gimme' factor about it. Its way out of my area of interest but its such a lovely locomotive that I'd probably buy one just for the sake of having it.

The only complaint I have with these announcements is that I know how much its going to cost me and theres a couple of easy impulse buys in there on top of stuff I genuinely want!

Guest dilbert

Another year gone and the Q6 and J27 is overlooked. Well on a positive note I will be saving some cash this year as Bachmann will be getting nothing out of me! Nothing of interest at all.

Good grief - just as well you represent a minority as with that sort of attitude Bachmann would be out of business and quick - I think that Bachmann will have a good 12-18 months with the line up announced (and the other stuff announced since June of last year)... dilbert

This looks like (one of ) the best new release programme that Bachmann has issued - there cannot be from a 4mm perspective many people who are disappointed.

I think it depends on what era and products you model/like.

Personally but not unexpected, for modern image modellers who have been spoilt in the last twelve months there is not a lot.

Two Class 66's in repeated liveries, with weathering :O :O

The Porthole stock is clever thinking. The Hornby Staniers don't quite seem to have hit the mark - here are Bachmann with a new state of the art prenationalisation coaching stock range, that's LMS , but avoids direct duplication, in an area where Hornby have stolen a march on them in recent years.

Though of LMS design, the porthole stock did not appear until after Nationalisation, so full LMS livery is not an option. However, I doubt that Bachmann will be concerned about this as I understand from retailers that the BR era is far more popular these days than Big Four.

I hope Bachmann have realised that the porthole CK was very different to the other porthole types. To do it properly would I think necessitate a different roof moulding as well as ends and sides with a different profile to the other types. Not sure how different the chassis looked. Still, there were lots of them.

Incidentally, porthole totals were:

FK 15 (of which three were lost in accidents very early on)

FO 20

BFK 15

CK 240

TK 100

BTK 439

• RMweb Gold

The MLV is an interesting subject, can go very happily with the 4-CEP (boat trains in the 80s and early 90s were 3 x 4-CEP + 1x MLV) and as they had battery power can be justified on a non-electrified layout - being short they will suit a small freight/parcels layout much better than any other EMU.

The MLVs were used on boat trains right back from their introduction - I think I saw my first at Victoria in 1961, when the vehicle numbers were merely painted on the sides, not the ends. While their principal use was on the SED, for which the batteries enabled them to use non-electrified roads at the Channel Ports, they did have a regular working from Vic Eastern to East Croydon in the mid-evening, returning to London Bridge with a couple of vans in tow. This was in the late '60s/early '70s, and I think the working was later extended to Redhill. They also ventured as far as Chichester, in a move that was probably never photographed very much, being in the small hours of Sunday morning when engineering works had closed the usual route for paper trains. It was not unknown for the batteries to be flat when they went off the juice, and more than one driver declined to haul vans because he had lost the "knowledge" of running other than EP brake, he said.

Don't forget the TLVs, which were Mk1 BGs fitted to work with MLVs and EPB EMUs.

I think it depends on what era and products you model/like.

Personally but not unexpected, for modern image modellers who have been spoilt in the last twelve months there is not a lot.

Two Class 66's in repeated liveries, with weathering :O :O

I still somehow think of myself as a modern image modeller, although to me this means 1970-79 - I feel old !

Anyway, I am delighted with Bachmann's range; Plenty of blue diesels including DMUs, Mark 1 sleepers are long awaited, and I hope to see the LMS porthole stock in blue/grey at some stage. Covhops will be useful as well.

A couple of minor niggles; Still no 21T hoppers, and why no more Mark 2/2a TSOs ? TSOs were by far the most numerous type of Mark 2 stock, yet have only been released once.

Overall, though, an excellent range for my purposes; Next couple of birthdays and Christmases are taken care of !

My thanks to Bachmann.

A bit thin on the ground for NE modelers. The duckdog I'm not really supprised about, but the C class I didn't expect! Well it will give my wallet time to recover, I have more than £500 on pre order as it is......

What years have Bachmann introduced new LNER models? 2010 for the O4, was it 2006 for the K3 and about 1998 for the J39? I wonder what the total number of new LNER models have been released in the last 10 years? (all manufacturers) It cannot be many.

The Dukedog is just one of those locomotives which has the 'gimme' factor about it. Its way out of my area of interest but its such a lovely locomotive that I'd probably buy one just for the sake of having it.

When CoT was released a lot of people said that about the Dukedog. I know I will be having one.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with these announcements, and am allowing myself a certain smugness for correctly predicting the 105 power twins. B)

I'll certainly be investing in a few of the LMS Porthole items. I now need to consider whether or not to shift my layouts era a year or two forward and pick up the Power Twin, or continue my plans to alter my Lima 101 to the earlier Met-Camm Lightweight.

A far warmer reception to this list than Hornby's.

I am disappointed that the v2 in particular hasn't got a body revamp! For ER modellers, the v2 would have a very big following

Even though Hornby and Bachmann have announced/produce a number of ER types, other than the the ROD and the L1. The A4, B1, V2, B17 have been produced before. We've not really moved that far forward. A new A4 chassis is pointless duplication.

The new Sleepers and TPO's are welcome and I can see merit in the porthole stock. If the V2 were properly done I'd get excited.

I hope Bachmann have realised that the porthole CK was very different to the other porthole types. To do it properly would I think necessitate a different roof moulding as well as ends and sides with a different profile to the other types. Not sure how different the chassis looked. Still, there were lots of them.

Glad to see the LMS designed 'Porthole' stock....... Bachmann can always look in on my thread seeing as the composite coach is what I've been building this weekend...:rolleyes:

My accurate predictions were the Dukedog and B1. I also thought we'd see brandnew Thompson corridor coaches but are they?

Missing out on a LMS 4F body to go on the 3F chassis is a bloomer and no doubt Hornby is breathing a sigh of relief. But it must irritate LNER enthusiasts knowing the parochial SE&CR 'C' has found favour over one of their parochial 0-6-0's. However, the money is down south.

• RMweb Gold

But it must irritate LNER enthusiasts knowing the parochial SE&CR 'C' has found favour over one of their parochial 0-6-0's. However, the money is down south.

Isn't this just a Bluebell connection, like the Dukedog and all those buildings for Sheffield Park?

Isn't this just a Bluebell connection, like the Dukedog and all those buildings for Sheffield Park?

I think so, Maybe they've been reading that thread about why preserved lines aren't popular for modelling, and decided to do something about it :unsure:

Nick

As an LNER modeller I have no issues with the decision to do the Wainwright "C". It fills a gap in the market for a small mixed traffic SR loco and the prototype has the "wow" factor (it is a beautiful machine). I've no doubt that Barwell will take the decision to fit a new chassis to the J39 just in time for me to take the plunge and build my Comet chassis!!!!! While a Q6 or Jxx would of tempted my wallet I won't die without them and I'm sure in subsequent years there'll be new ER models for us to froth over.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think its been mentioned so far but it appears from the website that they will be producing an Ivatt 2MT tank - it surely must have a new chassis and DCC ready?

The photo on their website does look rather like the existing model...

In the original pre-announcement thread I said I had seen a resin RTP Caledonian Railway signal box on the Bachmann stand at Glasgow ModelRail with a note on it saying coming soon. It does not appear on the new items list or as far as I can see the existing Scenecraft list. Did anybody else see it or was I imagining it? I think it was on the top shelf of the display case at the back left of the stand ( looking in to the stand) along with the art deco Scenecraft buildings.

Maybe it is a limited edition for Harburn Hobbies.

Thanks

g45

• RMweb Gold

Wonder where the chip would go? not much room left in the loco body so does this mean it will end up in the tender and there will be extra wires to and fro?

Actually Chris I've DCC-ed 5 of these. The first I took the US route of sticking the decoder - probably a cheap Digitrax DH123 - in the empty tender, but those 4 wires between the two are less than ideal given Bachmann's odd arrangement for joining the tender. I have yet to shunt with it enough to say there's a problem, though. The other 4 have simply had tiny decoders - Digitrax DZs, I think, so not ultra-pricey - stuffed in the area behind the motor. These Ns have amazed me with their willingness to collect current, by the way. I know I've actually bothered to liven all frogs this time, but they do run very well - all being secondhand off ebay. I wish I found the Hornby M7s as co-operative.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that the majority of responses so far seem positive. I can understand an element of disgruntlement on the part of LNER modellers, although I suspect your time will come! :)

Thinking it over, I agree with those who feel that this is a clever programme from Bachmann. Whilst noting that a small minority have already said words to the effect of, 'nothing here for me, not interested, they won't be getting a penny out of me this year'... I would imagine that a great many Dukedogs, Wainwright 0-6-0s and LT Panniers will be bought by modellers who don't actually model the GWR, SE&CR, LT etc., purely because these will be lovely models and something very nice to own and run on the layout.

I'm very pleased with the SR brakevan, what with that and the new Hornby BR Standard brake van, it's a good year for brake van enthusiasts!

Having just spent some time weathering one of the new Bachmann LNER vans and one of their slightly older BR standard 12t vans, I'm very impressed with the improvements in quality made in the last couple of years, the LNER van is very, very good IMO (and it's weathered down nicely, too).

Well, I shall be happy enough to cherry-pick this list.

A Southern 0-6-0T loco in Bulleid black? I know I would have preferred a Drummond or Adams, but for all that the Wainwright "C" is a handsome job, and my 4mm version of the Western Division will have plenty of room for one. I don't want to wait too long though.

And then there's the pillbox brake vans in SR Era 3 livery. Three at least.

And then there's all those r-t-p buildings. Hornby's Nissen hut was not correct. If Bachmann get it right then the scope is substantial. Wherever there was military rail-borne activity, even into the '50s, then Nissen huts may be justified on railway property. I would have much preferred LSWR prototypes for various station buildings, but if this is all we can get for a year or two, then I shall make do with a set of substitutes.

Wrong decision on the Bulleid coaches, though.

PB

Good grief - just as well you represent a minority as with that sort of attitude Bachmann would be out of business and quick - I think that Bachmann will have a good 12-18 months with the line up announced (and the other stuff announced since June of last year)... dilbert

Trust me he isn’t alone! His attitude is shared by many that are dismayed and disillusioned by the idea that you cannot model anything with a more industrial or northern eastern heritage. Yes the C class and Duke dog mean that the Bluebell railway is modelled in 2011, but as someone else has said, how many eastern region engines have been made by both companies, and then how many of them are NOT a top-link express service.

If you modelled a Q6, J21 and J27, you would almost recreate the north east, as the 4MT, 3MT-T, Ivatt 4MT and 2MT, are already modelled, this before you add an express engine. Only the L1 bucks the trend. Three models is not many to do to recreate a region where wagons would sell by the trainload needed to recreate them.

The question is which are of the Eastern region do you model, and with a Brit, L1 and B17 I expect Hornby might model the more Britten favoured area of Anglia. Bachmann have all the foresight and capabilities to know that the north east with its rich heritage is a region and area that would be an interesting idea for modellers to do. I maintain that modellers will model what is made by the companies – how many shed layouts will spring up as Bachmann made the shed and tower, or Bluebell railways will be modelled now.

Three engines to make a region possible and boost sales of engines related to the region.... the question isn’t why not? Its why it hasn’t happened yet!

I have just been comparing the new photo of the class 47 D1825 and it is the exact same photo as in the 2010 catalogue of D1746 with the number changed. You can see it is on the incorrect Class 57 chassis and is showing the Serck radiator shutters and we all know that when released D1746 came with the three piece version.

Not too sure about the D1547 photo as it seems different to the 47148 photo but still has the 6V53 headcode which makes me suspicious. Again it is sat on the Class 57 chassis.

Very dissapointed as I would have liked a Large Logo original raifreight 47 but maybe the Ltd Editions boys have one up there sleeves.

Wow Bachmann have excelled themselves, and whilst there will be the few that aren't impressed with this, they have done their best to appease all of us!

GWR- Dukedog (I'm happy enough with that!)

SR- SECR 0-6-0 and Pillbox brake van

LNER - proper chassied B1/V2 etc

LMS - Terrible twins as well as more rolling stock

The LMS side of things supports Hornby's new model... release locos for firm/region/era and support (if needed) with more accurate rolling stock.

Well done Bachy, and even though I am now modelling an industrial railway I think I can easily accomodate a lost Dukedog!

m0rris

Now, how do I justify Mk 1 sleepers on the Southern Region? (Barring the one that turned up in Clapham Yard one day for no readily explainable reason that is!!)

Service to Newhaven from up north somewhere to connect with ferries?

Archived