Bachmann product images from the Model and Hobby Show

Andy Y

The 350 looks stunning I have to say... looking at a 450 at Waterloo earlier today and noting the obvious provision for the retro-fiting of a pantograph got me thinking, what are the differences between the 350s and 450s.

Looking at Andy's photos, (specifically the 350/1 with the third rail gear) and some images of a South West Trains 450, apart from the absence of a pantograph none are immediately apparent to me.

Presumably given the mention of the differences with regard to air conditioning covers and seating arrangements there might be some differences here. I know that south west trains run two configurations, one with high capacity seating, marked by an HC after the unit number in brackets.

Presumably there's some difference in under-frame equipment with regards to the rectification of AC current, or is this all contained within the same equipment cupboards underneath?

If all that's required is the removal of the pantograph and a re-livery could we see this as a surprise limited edition from someone like Modelzone?

• RMweb Premium

With thanks to Andy Y for the images the items which stand out to me are the servicing shed and the 350. I might find a longer-term use for the former but very unlikely to be interested in the latter as is but as the basis for a possible 377 in the future it looks superb.

Now - how can I incorporate the 4-road shed, the single-road shed, the CEP and EPB units, an MLV or two and a Thumper (which Bachmann are doing for Kernow) all in the same scene? And where am I going to put that lot? To borrow a phrase "I have a dream ....." B)

• RMweb Premium

The 350 looks stunning I have to say... looking at a 450 at Waterloo earlier today and noting the obvious provision for the retro-fiting of a pantograph got me thinking, what are the differences between the 350s and 450s.

Looking at Andy's photos, (specifically the 350/1 with the third rail gear) and some images of a South West Trains 450, apart from the absence of a pantograph none are immediately apparent to me.

Presumably given the mention of the differences with regard to air conditioning covers and seating arrangements there might be some differences here. I know that south west trains run two configurations, one with high capacity seating, marked by an HC after the unit number in brackets.

Presumably there's some difference in under-frame equipment with regards to the rectification of AC current, or is this all contained within the same equipment cupboards underneath?

If all that's required is the removal of the pantograph and a re-livery could we see this as a surprise limited edition from someone like Modelzone?

I agree it should be easy to produce a Class 450 from the Class 350 tooling - if there are any differences in the underfames, they will be minor compared to the alternative tooling options Bachmann have produced for other models.

There may well be internal differences such as seat layout but looking at photos nothing that affects the windows. All the SWT Class 450s were originally 1st and 2nd class and numbered up from 450001. The 4505xx units have been converted to 2nd class seating only for use on Windsor lines suburban services and have 500 added to the unit number (450045 became 450545 etc.) So no substantive difference.

Personally I hope this is a future standard release and not offered as a higher priced limited edition. They are expensive enough as it is.

With thanks to Andy Y for the images the items which stand out to me are the servicing shed and the 350. I might find a longer-term use for the former but very unlikely to be interested in the latter as is but as the basis for a possible 377 in the future it looks superb.

Now - how can I incorporate the 4-road shed, the single-road shed, the CEP and EPB units, an MLV or two and a Thumper (which Bachmann are doing for Kernow) all in the same scene? And where am I going to put that lot? To borrow a phrase "I have a dream ....." B)

Easy - model the MDR like I do!

Stewart

Edit: MDR = My D*** Railway

This may be sacrilegious to some but, looking at that superb Scenecraft model of Rowley station, I wonder if there might be a market for a “layout in a box†– say, a complete model of Minories, with track and structures.

For time-poor people who are more interested in “playing trains†than modelling it might be attractive to have what would effectively be a “flat packâ€, maybe with some options for “dressing†the model to give different time periods.

My apologies in advance if I've upset anyone who believes that wouldn't be "modelling".

Paul

My apologies in advance if I've upset anyone who believes that wouldn't be "modelling".

Paul

Paul you have no reason to apologise at all. Initially I spent most of my time on my layout (specifically track, stations, sheds), now I spend all my available time on rolling stock and so I have no time to "finish" the layout. In the meantime things like DCC have had to be postponed for the future.

There simply is not enough time available for many of us. The new ranges of ready-made building by Bachmann, Hornby and others are great time savers, yet there is still scope for further new products for those who don't have the time or patience to put the track and scenery items together.

I can certainly foresee a market for SMALL ready-made scenery/track modules for those with limited space and time to get stuck into rolling stock, DCC, and computer integration as well as focusing on the detailed scenery items like people, shrubs etc.

Doug.

Wow really like all the Items, but i do hope the 350 is turned into a 450 as i use one every morning now!!!

I wanted the 4 road engine shed but had no room for it so the 1 road one is going to look brill on my layout.

I love the Gas storage building. Fills a corner and a sideing for me!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Having seen it I think I too will have one of those single road shed as well. I was looking at my layout just a few minutes ago and there is a corner with a single stretch of line that is just calling me to stick said shed on it!!!

This may be sacrilegious to some but, looking at that superb Scenecraft model of Rowley station, I wonder if there might be a market for a “layout in a box†– say, a complete model of Minories, with track and structures.

For time-poor people who are more interested in “playing trains†than modelling it might be attractive to have what would effectively be a “flat packâ€, maybe with some options for “dressing†the model to give different time periods.

Paul

"Time-poor". What a truly elegant expression. I shall now add "skill-poor" to join "manually-challenged" etc etc.

The truth is, that when I am "playing trains", I seek to re-create the best visual effect that is available to me at that time. I have served my time making ham-fisted attempts at scratch and kit-build; attempts that have all deservedly been consigned to landfill. Since Bachmann first introduced their N-class and Bulleid coaches, a whole new world has been made available to me. And if my use of r-t-r and r-t-p does cause upset, then that is not my problem.

I had hoped that, by now, 4mm r-t-p models of station buildings might include more ex-LSWR prototypes, but that clearly is not the case. So my next question is a no-brainer. Do I include on my current project more gruesome buildings in warped plasticard, or take samples of the "Sheffield Park" range, ignore the compromise, but enjoy the benefits of the current state of the art?

The more I look at the latest additions to Bachmann's catalogue, the more I like it, and the more I can expect to acquire. My only rather peevish complaint is that I cannot have it all this month.

Now back to the advance pictures....

PB

• RMweb Gold

I had hoped that, by now, 4mm r-t-p models of station buildings might include more ex-LSWR prototypes, but that clearly is not the case. So my next question is a no-brainer. Do I include on my current project more gruesome buildings in warped plasticard, or take samples of the "Sheffield Park" range, ignore the compromise, but enjoy the benefits of the current state of the art?

What about Medstead & Four Marks? Looks good enough to me, and sufficiently accurate, surely?

Did you ever see the Farish "Magnum" layouts? Fairly basic but pretty much exactly what you were talking about.

What about Medstead & Four Marks? Looks good enough to me, and sufficiently accurate, surely?

Hello Ian,

Yes, I think that M&4M is excellent, and I have one in an interim position. Where it sits in formation with Kernow's Type 4 Signal Box/Cabin. I had included "more" in my earlier wish-statement, and obviously omitted to stress all that has happened of late.

There is a model-serious point here. (Conscious that as I type, the 3pm news tells of real-serious topics such as Pacific tsunamis and Libyan massacres that prevent others from sharing our leisue interest). For many years, the LSWR enjoyed the services of Sir William Tite as their in-house architect, and there are still any number of his station buildings, and contemporary platform shelters, goods sheds, footbridges and signal boxes (types 1 to 3) that may be found and admired. By raising their profile, I would like to think that the entrepreneurs in our midst might wish to take a punt in this direction.

PB

All I can say is that I'm looking forward to the Boness & Kinneil tie-in! ;)

Dave.

With a menagerie of buildings B) ? That service point is giving me ideas ;) ...

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I think that M&4M is excellent, and I have one in an interim position. Where it sits in formation with Kernow's Type 4 Signal Box/Cabin. I had included "more" in my earlier wish-statement, and obviously omitted to stress all that has happened of late.

There is a model-serious point here. (Conscious that as I type, the 3pm news tells of real-serious topics such as Pacific tsunamis and Libyan massacres that prevent others from sharing our leisue interest). For many years, the LSWR enjoyed the services of Sir William Tite as their in-house architect, and there are still any number of his station buildings, and contemporary platform shelters, goods sheds, footbridges and signal boxes (types 1 to 3) that may be found and admired. By raising their profile, I would like to think that the entrepreneurs in our midst might wish to take a punt in this direction.

I think what we are seeing in Medstead, Sheffield Park and the GC RTP structures is a nod to the preservation movement, where so many steam locos now ply a new sort of trade, and the buildings are part of the supporting cast. Just as with any other manufacturers' toe in the water, we can only hope that our purchases spur further development of this area!

Interestingly, in their 1970 work on SR stations, Wikeley & Middleton seem less convinced of Tite's LSWR contributions apart from Windsor, but it may be that new info has come to light in those 40 years to confirm his signature on other designs. By contrast, they acknowledge William Tress as the SER architect over some years. Nigel Wikeley was Southern Region Architect for rather more than a decade, so should have had access to a few facts!

I think what we are seeing in Medstead, Sheffield Park and the GC RTP structures is a nod to the preservation movement, where so many steam locos now ply a new sort of trade, and the buildings are part of the supporting cast. Just as with any other manufacturers' toe in the water, we can only hope that our purchases spur further development of this area!

Interestingly, in their 1970 work on SR stations, Wikeley & Middleton seem less convinced of Tite's LSWR contributions apart from Windsor, but it may be that new info has come to light in those 40 years to confirm his signature on other designs. By contrast, they acknowledge William Tress as the SER architect over some years. Nigel Wikeley was Southern Region Architect for rather more than a decade, so should have had access to a few facts!

Hello Ian,

Yes, I have just dusted off my copy of Wikeley and Middleton's text book. I see it cost me £3.50 forty years ago; that's just under 10p per year. Obviously a good investment. In fairness to Tite's indirect claim to eminence, W&M strangely make no mention of the original terminal stations either at Nine Elms, or Southampton. Just as strange, they also exclude everything west of Salisbury. On the other hand, New Milton seems to have caught their eye. When experts give dissimilar opinions, types like us are faced with a dilemma. I once had a morning's access to the collection of building drawings in the Plans Arch. I cannot remember much reference to Tite there, but other researchers seem to feel confident with different evidence.

PB

Self Edit

This link may give some of the detail which W&M were unable to find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tite

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I have just dusted off my copy of Wikeley and Middleton's text book. I see it cost me £3.50 forty years ago; that's just under 10p per year. Obviously a good investment. In fairness to Tite's indirect claim to eminence, W&M strangely make no mention of the original terminal stations either at Nine Elms, or Southampton. Just as strange, they also exclude everything west of Salisbury.

Thanks for the Wiki link, which does seem well-informed. I suppose that actually all Tite's other main works were by 1970 either no longer surviving operational stations, or, beyond Salisbury, were in the custody of those nice people at Paddington, and thus outside Nigel W's bailiwick. I am reminded that the foreword is by Lance Ibbotson - not generally regarded as Southern Region's most charismatic GM - but sure to have limited his architects' ability to refer to relics. When the stations beyond Salisbury were "returned" to Southern in the mid-80s there was a GM's tour of inspection to Exeter Central, the draft notes of which referred to stations at places called Wimpole and Pinhole!

I think the signalbox they quote, looking at the dimensions, is the faired-in one on the platform, which I think is pure Bluebell, so if you have that then you don't have the footbridge, which had gone before the Bluebell arrived.

Do we know for sure that it is the original footbridge and not the preserved one?

I really can't afford the station but it looks magnificent so I will have to find the money somewhere. The pre-production model already looks better than the photos that I have seen of the Platform 2 building of last year.

The Bachmann website has just been updated and it gives a Nov/Dec delivery for the 3F.

I see the Cheltenham model centre is listing the 3F as being a March delivery, which sounds hopefull as the Bachmann website still does not have a delviery date.

Invisible ink strikes both RMWeb and Bachmann's site :rolleyes:

Nick

Archived