Hornby products on show at the Model and Hobby Show

Andy Y

Thanks to Adrian at A.B. Gee who had some of the latest Hornby pre-productions items on show.

The GW Horsebox

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

The 27T Tippler

H3.jpg

A Chance to compare Railroad and Boxed Set Tornado

H4.jpg

H5.jpg

The B17

H8.jpg

The KFA container flat is a nice piece of work with a weighty cast chassis and frame with very fine underframe detail

H6.jpg

OTA

H7.jpg

While not something I'd buy, the horse boxes look stunning.

Why can't the B17 be a north east prototype :angry: I've no need for one but it looks so damn pretty.

The A1 looks pretty good, For me it depends on where the selling price ends up. If it really does end up cheap then I'll probably buy one to see what can be done in terms of turning it into a "proper" A1 looky likey.

The A1 looks pretty good, For me it depends on where the selling price ends up. If it really does end up cheap then I'll probably buy one to see what can be done in terms of turning it into a "proper" A1 looky likey.

In modelling terms, quite a lot. New boiler fittings of original height, move whistle to original position, new chimney to original height, new cab roof to original profile, new tender top to original coal space size and tank top.

I'm of the opinion Hornby could steal a march on Bachmann if the chassis is good by eventually marketing their own Peppercorn A1 models, but that's a can of worms in duplication I don't wish to open.

...Although they could legitimately cover the roller bearing versions using the chassis off the Tornado model with little modification.

The Tornado is a bit off the rails but that GW carmine red horsebox is something.

Interested to see Hornby has gone to the trouble of moulding Darlington spoke bogie weels for the B17. I always think they look a gaudy in LNER green but I'm sure a BR green version will look tasty.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm, that BR horsebox looks tasty, and the B17 to go nicely with my B12/3. Have to say, I'm struggling to tell which Tornado's which!

I'm guessing (cos I can't tell either!) that the box set one is the one that stays on the track?:D

Andi

Guest Max Stafford

That horsebox looks very nice and with the forthcoming Parkside LNER vehicle coming too, some interesting head-end traffic is imminent! :)

Didn't push 'em for release dates for the 'boxes and B17s, did ya Andy? ;)

Dave.

Didn't push 'em for release dates for the 'boxes and B17s, did ya Andy? ;)

Dave.

Horseboxes are shown for a mid-July release,

The 1st batch of B17s are shown for May (R2920 to R2922), whilst the second tranche are currently shown for November release (R3003, R3004)

• RMweb Gold

Any photos of either or both versions of the 4VEP at the show?

GC

Their were no 4VEPS on display at the show as officially Hornby were not represented. It is possible that there might be some pictures of the NSE liveried 4Vep in the next issue of Hornby Magazine as it was photographed during ModelRail Scotland.

I have to say it looks good and the inter coach coupling appears to be a far better solution than the 4Cep.

I'm looking forward to the OTA, but sadly it looks like the preproduction model is already suffering from many of the problems that my kitbuilt cambrian models do! Namely broken/bent stanchions, derailing, and the ends not sitting quite square with the chassis (though this last fault might be a trick of the camera)

Why can't the B17 be a north east prototype :angry: I've no need for one but it looks so damn pretty.

My sentiments exactly..... Not sure if I will get a LNER Apple Green one or wait for a Brunswick/ Late BR Green One so that I can renumber & rename it Hull City, if I don't get one of the first ones & repaint it. :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

The GWR horsebox looks excellent.I must admit I had reservations before I saw it,ex Lima and all that.The only niggle is the shirtbutton logo is too high.It needs to be between the second and third plank.I hope its remedied during production.

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward to the OTA, but sadly it looks like the preproduction model is already suffering from many of the problems that my kitbuilt cambrian models do! Namely broken/bent stanchions, derailing, and the ends not sitting quite square with the chassis (though this last fault might be a trick of the camera)

I thought the bent stanchions were prototypical! It does look like someone can't put models on tracks - unless the journo's have been allowed to get hands on?

I do like the look of this, will be interesting to get a comparison with Bachmann's version when they're both available....

- unless the journo's have been allowed to get hands on?

Wholesaler rather than a press issue! laugh.gif I re-railed the ones I could reach in the cabinets for them. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Wholesaler rather than a press issue! laugh.gif I re-railed the ones I could reach in the cabinets for them. ;)

Good for you - keep up appearances! I'd forgotten this was a trade fair not a press job - care to say how you wrangled your admission? wink.gif

No problem in answering that Rich; it is principally a trade fair to engage the retailers but the manufacturers (Bachmann in this instance) or wholesalers may invite 'press' (we should be called Meejaa these days ;)). Such announcements are part of their marketing process and we're one of the channels that they engage with. Most of the magazine editors will have also visited over the course of the event to get the full picture rather than just the press releases. As I'm a little more against it from a time perspective I go with the press releases so that you can see the factual side and then back it up with images and information in the topics that followed later yesterday.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of years ago I mentioned to Simon Kohler that the Lima horsebox would be a good product to revise for at least the Railroad range and mentioned I'd done a Lima/Parkside version and sent him a few pics. I took it to Warley that year and with Barry Ten, showed him the finished produc and he said it was a very interesting idea. Which was nice.

Indeed, and it motivated me to try to do a neat job assembling my own Parkside version, sneaking into view in this shot:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=33429

I also ordered the chassis parts from Parkside to replicate PMP's Lima upgrade but as yet I haven't tackled it.

• RMweb Gold

No problem in answering that Rich; it is principally a trade fair to engage the retailers but the manufacturers (Bachmann in this instance) or wholesalers may invite 'press' (we should be called Meejaa these days ;)). Such announcements are part of their marketing process and we're one of the channels that they engage with. Most of the magazine editors will have also visited over the course of the event to get the full picture rather than just the press releases. As I'm a little more against it from a time perspective I go with the press releases so that you can see the factual side and then back it up with images and information in the topics that followed later yesterday.

Nice to know you / we are still sufficiently in Bachmann's good books for them to do this! :)

I've done the Lima/Parkside build - very easy, PMP gave me the idea. Don't forget to pack the solebars up slightly or it sits a bit low. I missed that on mine.

I don't want to nitpick, but isn't the Hornby model the same diagram? Paul says 'three easy GWR boxes available' but I can't see where the third one comes from - unless you count scribing the planks into the end of the Parkside one to make the preceding diagram.

Guess who's looking for horseboxes for a project?

Which reminds me, Paul - there's another cracking photo of a hunt special in 'Doctor on the Line' by Dr. Ian Allen. 2 X BTK, 12 x HB.

Archived