RMweb

Kernow Adams O2

• RMweb Gold

I only posted the allocations dates that I did due to the fact that I model 1949 to 1949 so had not tabulated for my own records past May 1951.

As Windyhale76 advised 30182 was certainly Yeovil allocated for a while. Whilst often confined to there own usual duties from a shed, circumstances would have meant this could and did change so they wold often appear on other duties, deputising for other locomotive classes. 

Also they would have still tripped to and from Eastleigh to the works for larger overhauls etc. (I used running in turns from Eastleigh as an excuse on Fisherton Sarum for more unusual classing appearing on shed!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi WindyHale

Many thanks for the info.on the weekly Yeovil service you mentioned. Sounds like just the ticket, l ll be able to justify one of these wee beasties now. Interesting you mentioned "Main Lines To The West" by Simon Rocksborough-Smith, a copy of this book owned by a friend was what started me down this path many years ago, l was not however aware that a volume 2 existed, l be on the hunt for that now, so thanks also for that gem too

Thanks Bob C

That size comparison is interesting, No wonder the Yeovil crews preferred the M7, coaling the 02's tiny bunker must have been a pain for a start!

It seems to me almost all the complaints are re the driving wheels, quartering and too wide to gauge.  As it the fixing looks similar to the old troublesome Mainline wheel fixing has anyone had the wheels come loose after correcting the back to back or quartering?

I see the post, I ordered one as well, there is only on Island O2 on Britain's shores and that's 24. So I guess you will have to ask the only person to have one the one who posted post 955.

From Kernows website:

K2102 DJ Models 0-4-4T O2 Steam Locomotive number 16 named "Ventnor" in BR Black livery with late crest.

Fitted with 6 Pin DCC Decoder socket - OO Gauge

Exclusive to Kernow Model Rail Centre.

Includes accessory bag containing etched nameplates, air pipes, dummy screw couplings and engine head signal discs.

New release - currently on board "Hamburg Express" due into Southampton around 24th November 2015

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway

Not according to post 955, which clearly shows an IOW bunker with 16 on it!

... something going on here...

Seeing that post prompted my initial comment. As far as I was concerned IOW 24 is the first of the two to be released and has recently landed on these shores.

• RMweb Premium

Seeing that post prompted my initial comment. As far as I was concerned IOW 24 is the first of the two to be released and has recently landed on these shores.

He's obviously got his hands on one somehow. Maybe a borrowed Pre-Prod sample?

• RMweb Premium

He's obviously got his hands on one somehow. Maybe a borrowed Pre-Prod sample?

Very possible.  Such things do happen.  I was very fortunate to be awarded an early 30586 when the well tanks were first released which was one of those in the initial sample batch flown (rather than shipped ) in ahead of the main delivery.

• Like 1

I got my O2 (30193) yesterday. What an exquisite model, really looks the part.

BUT - it won't run on most of my layout!  The low-slung brake linkage fouls my third rails - not by much, but enough to slightly lift the drivers off the track on one side so losing traction.  Obviously my fault for trying to run an Exmouth Junction loco on a South London layout! (but I don't think renumbering to 30221 will help!)

Seriously, I am at a loss to know what to do as ripping up the third rail is not an option, and it is difficult to see how to take anything off the brake gear without spoiling the model.  I guess she will have to be confined to the non-electrified goods yard and carriage sidings which is a great pity as I hoped to use her on ecs into the terminus.

I got my O2 (30193) yesterday. What an exquisite model, really looks the part.

BUT - it won't run on most of my layout!  The low-slung brake linkage fouls my third rails - not by much, but enough to slightly lift the drivers off the track on one side so losing traction.  Obviously my fault for trying to run an Exmouth Junction loco on a South London layout! (but I don't think renumbering to 30221 will help!)

Seriously, I am at a loss to know what to do as ripping up the third rail is not an option, and it is difficult to see how to take anything off the brake gear without spoiling the model.  I guess she will have to be confined to the non-electrified goods yard and carriage sidings which is a great pity as I hoped to use her on ecs into the terminus.

You'll just have to build a south London non-electrified branch line, Bill,  like Sanderstead-Oxted and beyond :)

Mal

Edit: O2s to Oxted? Rule 1

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 1

An unlikely pairing in real life but they do look and perform superbly - well done to both Chris (and the team) at Kernow and Dave Jones! 

Just to explain about my IoW No 16 - there was a glitch at Kernow with my various O2 orders which as a result I was promised they would send the 1st available IoW No 16.

I had an e-mail last Thursday saying it had been despatched and It arrived on Friday. Both e-mail and receipt said "  this will be the 1st production model by airfreight - other models not due for further month "

Top marks to Kernow!

• Like 2

Any signs of a K2106 early crest mainland non-push pull showing up? No e-mail from Kernow and no charge on my card yet. Once I know it is on the way I can start planning the sound conversion.  That and stripping the BR crest and lining from the model so I can backdate to Southern times. Unfortunately the only Southern black version was encumbered with all sorts of extra plumbing.

Oh well the coaches from Hornby for the Padstow Bodmin local aren't coming for some time yet.

• Like 1

Any signs of a K2106 early crest mainland non-push pull showing up? No e-mail from Kernow and no charge on my card yet. Once I know it is on the way I can start planning the sound conversion.  That and stripping the BR crest and lining from the model so I can backdate to Southern times. Unfortunately the only Southern black version was encumbered with all sorts of extra plumbing.

Oh well the coaches from Hornby for the Padstow Bodmin local aren't coming for some time yet.

My pre-order for K2106 was shipped on Saturday (not arrived yet) and i only ordered it late last year. 

So they must be almost done.

Maybe your CC details are out of date, it has been mentioned that they leave any of those till the end,

Jim