Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Brake rigging and other parts should be in the box but it's always possible the item has been used as a shop display model and those have been accidentally mislaid.  

Are any lights working or none at all?  Have you gone inside and checked that they are plugged in?  There is a wiring loom connected between body shell and power unit by a plug.  If that's not properly connected push it together.  Still no joy?  Can you test for power at the plug by any means such as a probe-fitted tester?  No power?  Suspect a loose or dry joint which requires either skilled tracking down and rectification or a return to Liverpool.

If it's just one cab not working but the other is it may be a loose fitting or defective component;  the headcode at the same end would also not light up if that were the case and likewise the (hard to see) marker / tail lamps.  In that case I'd be exchanging more words with DCC supplies and possibly Hattons themselves.

It's possible for both ends to suffer component failure meaning that with power at the plug no lights work but what are the chances?

I bought a BFYE Western from Hattons a couple of weeks back (I received an email notification that they had a couple in stock), and have finally test run it this weekend, to discover the lights aren't working. Is there a simple fix for this (loose connection etc), or is it a case of returning it, or getting the model sent off to DCC Supplies for repair?

Given that the brake rigging was missing (I've already got replacements on their way from DCC Supplies), I'm now beginning to wonder ff I've been sold a "second" by Hattons.

Chris

If it was me I would send back to DCC Supplies for repair or replacement. They are handling warranty repairs on these models. I wouldn't attempt a self-fix.

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask how much noise people are getting from the mechanism? Mine makes a lot of 'whirring' and whining from I guess the drive train. It has been back to DCC supplies once already (because of very pronounced wobbling) and it is better but not perfect since its return.

I'm wondering if noise is characteristic of the model or whether mine really is 'Western Rogue'.

Can I ask how much noise people are getting from the mechanism? Mine makes a lot of 'whirring' and whining from I guess the drive train. It has been back to DCC supplies once already (because of very pronounced wobbling) and it is better but not perfect since its return.

I'm wondering if noise is characteristic of the model or whether mine really is 'Western Rogue'.

I have two and neither are that quiet compared to my Bachmann locos.

• RMweb Premium

Five here.  Three are somewhat louder than their Heljan partners but generally purr along.  The other two make a little more noise which could be described as whining and could be described as a "notchy" or clicking sound almost as though something were cogging.  The running of all however is  smooth with not suggestion of cogging at all.

Having previously acquired several other recent Dapol locos of class 22 and 0298 I was anticipating these might emit more noise than typical Heljan / Bachmann locos and they do.  But nowhere near what a Hornby Western or most Lima locos would produce.

I'm OK with the noise.  I found the notchy tone a little unnerving at first but it doesn't seem to relate to any problem.

Five here.  Three are somewhat louder than their Heljan partners but generally purr along.  The other two make a little more noise which could be described as whining and could be described as a "notchy" or clicking sound almost as though something were cogging.  The running of all however is  smooth with not suggestion of cogging at all.

Having previously acquired several other recent Dapol locos of class 22 and 0298 I was anticipating these might emit more noise than typical Heljan / Bachmann locos and they do.  But nowhere near what a Hornby Western or most Lima locos would produce.

I'm OK with the noise.  I found the notchy tone a little unnerving at first but it doesn't seem to relate to any problem.

Interesting. My two are quieter than the Heljan Western and Hymeks I own....but still noisier than any Bachmann diesel I own.

Have received my model of D1062 and have had it out of the box.  I have to say its a beautifully proportioned, detailed and finished model.  I have only been able to run it on my 3' long program track on DC at the moment but the all the lights appear to function correctly and there is no noticeable wobble.  Looking forward to getting a sound chip fitted.  My only criticism would be that the paint finish is perhaps a bit on the flat side.

Was quite tempted whilst in the Chelt MC yesterday to purchase one... maroon FYE and try an off white and then blue repaint and then abrade the paint so that the other colours show through... but I didn't. Would've made an interesting project, but I've enough to be getting on with for now and there were other items that I felt might need some attention too. Nice looking and a good base to work from.

Having run my Maroon Western in during the last couple of weeks, without fault, thought, time to detail.

So this weekend I spent a couple of hours detailing it.

Managed to get the nameplates on faultlessly and piped up the front and all the little black fittings correctly located underneath.

Ran it for the first time tonight, what a disaster, derails almost on every curved point, found restricted movement on the bogies due to the glued on bits, not miss positioned as the body is pocketed for easy and supposedly correct location.

Gradually removed the items one by one, and its almost back to where I was before fitment.

Just down to the cab steps now.

Anybody else found this ?

I'm really disappointed as I thought it looked the bees knees....

Are these fittings purely for static models ??

Edited by martin_l_jones

• RMweb Gold

Cab steps on second man's side + brake rodding - on vac cylinder behind valance both foul

Shorten them both

Nem pocket eliminates bogie tramp - remove, fit solid valance and coupling loop if using tension lock couplings

You should then be OK

Phil

• RMweb Premium

As per posts some while ago I found there was a tiny amount of moulding flash on the suspension both on the bogie and the body-mounted mouldings.  It's only a tiny amount but the tolerances of the model are so fine that it affects bogie swing.  A light rub with a needle file removes it.  That cures half the problems.

The remainder are fixed by trimming the brake rods back on the inside ends which is a modification not visible from normal running, and as per above by removing the coupler pocket if the blank valence is in use without a coupler.  

That should sort everything.

As per posts some while ago I found there was a tiny amount of moulding flash on the suspension both on the bogie and the body-mounted mouldings.  It's only a tiny amount but the tolerances of the model are so fine that it affects bogie swing.  A light rub with a needle file removes it.  That cures half the problems.

The remainder are fixed by trimming the brake rods back on the inside ends which is a modification not visible from normal running, and as per above by removing the coupler pocket if the blank valence is in use without a coupler.  

That should sort everything.

Thanks Phil & Rick for your help, I did look back through a few pages, I did remember reading something, but it's a long topic this one now (probably too many duplicate questions !!), I took the easiest option, apologies....

Have just pinged one of my lifting eyes into space, damn, number 30 of 32...

Did anybody buy a sheet of spares from DCC supplies, unfortunately they are currently out of stock ?

Please pm if you do...

Thanks in advance

Unbelievable, just found that lost lifting eye in the poly tray a week later !!!

Edited by martin_l_jones

• 2 weeks later...

And here they are, unfortunately have some bits missing from the packs so have got some replacements being sent by DCC supplies..

Wessie2_zps506e5e5b.png

Wessie1_zpscd2d39fc.png

Nice. Very nice indeed! I think the Westerns are the second best looking diesel ever built in Britain, only narrowly losing out to the Deltics to my eyes.

Looking at this photo of one Dapol '52 I don't have and one I do, I'm absolutely gutted I didn't get a D1000 Western Enterprise when I had the chance. If STEAM do another run, I'm in! The Golden Ochre D1015 recently announced by DTG is very tempting, although still my favourite livery for this loco is BR blue.

Out of interest were the missing bits with D1000 or the WLA D1062 model? I've got D1062 and gave it a very quick run on a Rolling Rails rolling road, but haven't checked the 'bag of bits' yet to see if anything is missing.

I like to have spares of everything! So if even if all is well with my D1062 I'll still be ordering some spares from DCC supplies at some point. I'm hoping they'll be increasing their stocks of spares for these locos in time. I definitely will want more roof eyelet rib thingys!

Did Western Champion have the small yellow warning panels from new or did it originally have an all Golden Ochre nose when first introduced to service, with the yellow warning panels being added later.

Confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks, SteveT

Champion was subjected to a livery experiment with an extended warning panel which ran back towards the cab forming a T shape. However I don't think it ran in service like this, the panels having been amended to normal style before it entered traffic. It didn't ever run without warning panels.

Geoff Endacott

Nice. Very nice indeed! I think the Westerns are the second best looking diesel ever built in Britain, only narrowly losing out to the Deltics to my eyes.

Looking at this photo of one Dapol '52 I don't have and one I do, I'm absolutely gutted I didn't get a D1000 Western Enterprise when I had the chance. If STEAM do another run, I'm in! The Golden Ochre D1015 recently announced by DTG is very tempting, although still my favourite livery for this loco is BR blue.

Out of interest were the missing bits with D1000 or the WLA D1062 model? I've got D1062 and gave it a very quick run on a Rolling Rails rolling road, but haven't checked the 'bag of bits' yet to see if anything is missing.

I like to have spares of everything! So if even if all is well with my D1062 I'll still be ordering some spares from DCC supplies at some point. I'm hoping they'll be increasing their stocks of spares for these locos in time. I definitely will want more roof eyelet rib thingys!

The missing bits were from the Steam loco, the funny thing is the front end valance and pipes were already fitted on my Maroon, humming for a second Maroon one, but not sure which to go for Western Consort or Western Firebrand from the new releases. But I would really like the new Maroon Warship to go with it...perhaps a xmas pressie from the wife, NO chance of that...

I really worried about fitting the roof lifting eyes but I only failed with one and that turned up, just have to be really careful not to take the paint off them...

I have to say I think the loco's do look beautiful......  

Edited by martin_l_jones