Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hope this train 2 mins in was enough to test ours

Will struggle to get any more on the layout!

Phil

Hi Phil

That looks and sounds great, but 12x Bachman, empty bogie flats, a van and brake is a light load if compared to 9 kit built and weighted (I expect to be able to reverse a complete screw link coupled train into sidings and though crossovers) bogie vans or coaches.

I'm not sure how using a DCC control system would change things but I guess you are removing the PCB that is failing on my Western and replacing it with a DCC decoder, or does it plug in on top?

But I do hope your Dapol locos continue to run faultlessly.

Edited by bubbles2

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Have just plugged and played in to the circuit board - Nothing removed - as we currently only have one whizzo sound chip it gets swapped between 2 locos, a 3rd to be added shortly.

Pick ups fitted to brake van adds drag but your loads sound a severe test! 10 Bachmann bogies is our limit

Phil

Richard, I've spotted one mistake in your spreadsheet - D1048 was released from Swindon in blue / full yellow ends livery on 14th November 1966, it was the first of the class to have this livery applied.

Edit : spotted another...! D1046 did not receive it's blue / fye livery until 12th May 1971... it was the last to be repainted into this livery!

Edited by Rugd1022

I've a Masters in Manufacturing Systems Engineering, so pretty much yes!

Studied in Sheffield for '88 to '94 so I had this stuff coming out of my ears, historical examples to analyse, trouble shoot, identify up-coming problems, etc.

Luke

M.Eng MSE, B.Eng Material Engineering, OG '76-88

Oh bloody hell, you *are* the same Luke Stevens!!! Late of Montolieu Gardens, Putney? God Almighty, I haven't seen you since Frognal days. And then, of all of the places in all the world, you turn up here.

A-bloody-mazing....

Oh bloody hell, you *are* the same Luke Stevens!!! Late of Montolieu Gardens, Putney? God Almighty, I haven't seen you since Frognal days. And then, of all of the places in all the world, you turn up here.

A-bloody-mazing....

But Ivan, about 2 years ago you asked and I confirmed this!

And would you really expect me to be anywhere else?!?

Luke

But Ivan, about 2 years ago you asked and I confirmed this!

Did I? Oh Christ, I must be going senile already....

And would you really expect me to be anywhere else?!?

Yes. The Scalefour Society forum. In 1988, you introduced me to P4. I've been in it ever since. That is your legacy!

• RMweb Premium

You can't run any of the Dapol Blue FYE Westerns alongside main line steam which had gone by the time the Talisman clips were introduced.

Geoff Endacott

Yes I agree. But row 12 of the spreadsheet revison c does say, "If the model is to represent any locomotive running before the Ealing crash, modify the extended battery clips or fit the battery box moulding from a maroon locomotive".

I have tried to get the spreadsheet to show the essence of what we need to watch out for, but it will get too complicated if I try to define multiple BFYE eras like 'before Ealing crash'. As you pointed out to my initial question, you cannot run any Dapol blue FYE Western without altering it in some way, if only to take off the red dots.

- Richard.

Edit: completely rewritten to try to make myself clearer  :scared:

Edited by 47137

Richard / 47137,

I've been through your spreadsheet to double check the BFYE dates and found seventeen in all which aren't correct, here are the correct dates...

D1002  2/12/70

D1023  19/12/67

D1035  3/2/70

D1036  3/11/67

D1037  25/6/71

D1038  27/3/69

D1039  24/2/71

D1040  17/4/70

D1041  13/10/69

D1042  30/9/70

D1043  19/12/68

D1044  26/6/70

D1045  20/8/70

D1046  12/5/71

D1047  9/7/71

D1048  14/11/66

D1049  7/4/67

I suspect you've used the 'Diesles In Depth' book as your source info but as good as it is, it has several mistakes in it. My sources have come from (amongst others) Adrian Curtis, Western Loco Association, contacts in the Diesel Traction Group, Swindon Works records etc.

;)

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium

Can I ask what is probably a daft question. I'm just getting round to fitting Ultrascale EM wheelsets to my 2 locos and I'm not sure exactly how to get the bogie sideframes/keeper plate off. I've had an exploratory fiddle but I'm worried about using too much force and causing damage.

There is probably something here on RM Web about it but I can't find it.

Anyone care to share their experience ?

Thanks in advance,

Douglas

Edited by drjcontroller

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask what is probably a daft question. I'm just getting round to fitting Ultrascale EM wheelsets to my 2 locos and I'm not sure exactly how to get the bogie sideframes/keeper plate off. I've had an exploratory fiddle but I'm worried about using too much force and causing damage.

There is probably something here on RM Web about it but I can't find it.

Anyone care to share their experience ?

Thanks in advance,

Douglas

Clipped at each end as per the norm, the sideframes stay attached to the bogie block. Haven't had to fight with any I've done,,,,yet.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Clipped at each end as per the norm, the sideframes stay attached to the bogie block. Haven't had to fight with any I've done,,,,yet.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, had another go this afternoon and all OK. Can't imagine why I hadn't spotted it first time round, feel such a clot !

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

Damians got a lovely layout there.The weathered Kernow Dapol jobs really set it off well,,,and yet ....and yet....(stand by for the almost obligatory Dapol 52 moan}, ...the maroon aint right , Dave sent the Chinese gentlemen Heljan models as a basis for the livery matches which to my eyes (I was a printer for 42 years ,mixing most colours under the sun to exacting tolerances )are pretty good, the maroon one being spot on.The Dapol efforts at the blue and green versions are pretty good , but their effort for every 60`s spotters favourite ,the "maroon" collection is a bit off the mark.Maybe the next batch maybe nearer the mark if the Dave "replacement envoy" to Dapol China could suggest "a colour adjustment" to the maroom version. You never know your luck in a raffle!!

This is the same problem I have with my Western Enterprise bought in April and its been blowing the small PCB which controls the lighting, but it will not run with the PCB not in place. Its been back to DCC twice complete and had a chassis replacement and I have lost count of the number of times Andy has sent me replacement PCBs (also replacing the same parts in my Dapol class 22s which had also failed,) but still the fault persisted. 

I thought it may have been the fault of my controlers which are home made but have been fine with all other makes of loco and have been in use for over 20 years now, also I had the same fault running on an H&M Clipper controler but I understand these are known to spike high voltages.

The most recent failure has been running on a Gaugemaster controler which I bought specially to test the Western as this is the make that DCC use for testing.

Andy at DCC has now sent me an experimental PCB which he has made up and I fitted it on Friday, that has been good so far.

Interestingly the fault only occurs when the Western is coupled up to a train, my trains tend to be 8 to 9 coaches or more, this has been raising the current taken from @ 0.17A to 0.24A or more.

I wonder how many model Westerns are pottering around lightly loaded on short trains waiting for this fault to surface when more is demanded of them.

I must also add that DCC supplies and Andy have provided an excellent warrenty service. 

Am I confused, or was the reason not explained in a very handy post a few pages ago? The PCB has no overload protection, so if you overload it, it blows. If that's the case, then you can try as many as you like, they will blow in the end. Only a redesign of the PCB will solve the issue - which is what seems to have happened for you.

A DCC chip, on the other hand will have overload protection (or should have). So will not demonstrate the same fault. Which is why I intend to get a DCC chip into my Dapol 22 before I use it in anger.

Chris

Does anyone know of any colour photos of the green westerns in a dirty state? I can only seem to find them in ex works.

Best wishes

Colin

There's a good broadside shot of D1036 in green at Oxford in the Strathwood book 'Looking Back At WR Hydrualics'. Dated 20th Feb '64, it looks filthy, and was only eighteen months old at the time.

In Strathwood's 'Looking Back At The Westerns' there's a shot taken inside the roundhouse at Old Oak showing one end of D1004 in green looking equally filthy, dated uly '63. There's also another shot of D1004 taken at Westbourne Park with a coating of road dust on, taken on 7th July '62 when the loco was only seven months into traffic. On the previous page is a nice shot of D1038 stood outside Swindon Works in '64 looking farely dirty overall, and turning the page back again there's a shot of the same loco looking absolutely filthy outside the Factory at Old Oak in November '63.

Edited by Rugd1022