RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Certainly good news to see further BR Blue versions, but I want one pre-Talisman clips and nothing I've seen so far gives any clue on this. I've emailed Dapol and will see what they say.

Well, still nowt from Dapol about the time period for the next BR blue versions. Perhaps the new team hasn't specified this to the factory and it's wait and see :scratchhead:

Edited by brushman47544

Well, still nowt from Dapol about the time period for the next BR blue versions. Perhaps the new team hasn't specified this to the factory and it's wait and see :scratchhead:

Dapol's facebook page says "New in Shortly" which leads to their website which says:

"Due to be shipped to stockists in the next week. 4D-003-004  OO Gauge Class 52 Western Nobleman D1058 BR Blue FYE"

so shouldn't be tooooo long...

Luke

• RMweb Premium

Dapol's facebook page says "New in Shortly" which leads to their website which says:

"Due to be shipped to stockists in the next week. 4D-003-004  OO Gauge Class 52 Western Nobleman D1058 BR Blue FYE"

so shouldn't be tooooo long...

Luke

Thanks, but by "time period" I meant in service - i.e. would the two new BR Blue locos have the later Talisman clips or not. I've spoken to Dapol this morning and they don't know - apparently they were ordered from China when the former DapolDave was still at Dapol and the new regime doesn't know what was ordered! So its wait and see...

Thanks, but by "time period" I meant in service - i.e. would the two new BR Blue locos have the later Talisman clips or not. I've spoken to Dapol this morning and they don't know - apparently they were ordered from China when the former DapolDave was still at Dapol and the new regime doesn't know what was ordered! So its wait and see...

Well the pictures with Kernow have them long and painted yellow so they would be post Talisman... Of course that may no be what actually arrives! My hope is that the maroon syp has the window frame painted grey, but I can't tell that either until they arrive. 

Luke

• 2 weeks later...

New ones showing as in stock at Hattons - no photos as yet.

Just notified that my Nobleman has been shipped. Early birthday present perhaps... Will be interesting to see what can be done to it. U/scale wheels in for a start - now that I'll have something to put them in.

Just notified that my Nobleman has been shipped. Early birthday present perhaps... Will be interesting to see what can be done to it. U/scale wheels in for a start - now that I'll have something to put them in.

I'd be grateful to find out if this 2nd batch come with name and numberplates already fitted or just supplied.

Richard

Model Railways Direct have photos of D1058 on their web site. The model does not have fitted nameplates, but it does have Talisman clips.

Bother!

Geoff Endacott

Do they Geoff... hmmm, couldn't find that! Picture seems to be awaited on the page I looked at. However.... thanks for the info as I was hoping for Talisman clips... otherwise I'd add them. Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

Antics have a photo here: http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1307_1_106909532.html .

Geoff Endacott

I don't think this is the D1058 model. Rails of Sheffield also have photos up now https://railsofsheffield.com/class-52-western-nobleman-d1058-br-blue-full-yellow-ends-4d-003-004-JJJA25767.aspx and these show what look like a depot allocation sticker and data panel on the cabside and no black surrounds to the headcode panel, compared to the first release Western Venturer http://test.ehattons.com/36614/Dapol_4D_003_000_Class_52_diesel_D1005_Western_Venturer_in_BR_Blue_with_full_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx.

Still has Talisman clips though, but perhaps if we're really lucky the second new Blue version, D1072 Western Glory, will have the original clips. Just don't ask Dapol.

I don't think this is the D1058 model. Rails of Sheffield also have photos up now https://railsofsheffield.com/class-52-western-nobleman-d1058-br-blue-full-yellow-ends-4d-003-004-JJJA25767.aspx and these show what look like a depot allocation sticker and data panel on the cabside and no black surrounds to the headcode panel, compared to the first release Western Venturer http://test.ehattons.com/36614/Dapol_4D_003_000_Class_52_diesel_D1005_Western_Venturer_in_BR_Blue_with_full_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx.

Still has Talisman clips though, but perhaps if we're really lucky the second new Blue version, D1072 Western Glory, will have the original clips. Just don't ask Dapol.

It looks like they've sorted the roof fan walkway which always looked odd on some previous models... here it looks better. We'll see if the postmann knocks today.

Update: The postman's been. Well... when I think of all the praise this model's received, I feel that it seems to have been deserved. I've not tried to undo the screws, and the yellow paint will need some tidying up around the edges (not a problem as I have some work I want to do in that area anyway), but :

- the loco was packaged in what was possibly the most protective and "safe" packaging I've yet seen.... much better even that the new Bachmann boxes;

- straight out of the box, it looks the part. Pipes fitted at one already, a nice touch

- it feels solid and weighty... in the right places.

- it ran on my boys 8'x4' roundy negotiating tight curves (some just sub 2nd) and all the points without bother.

- no wheel wobble.... although there's a P4 ultrascale set waiting for it

- some light scratches on some of the transparencies... but nothing that a dob of tee cut won't cure.... and these will be Klear'd at some point too.

So yes... this east-coast diesel enthusiast is pleased.

Really nice to see some of Brian's etches included .... well done that man - what a noble man ;-)

Happy - Jon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My first example arrived from Hattons today in the shape of the maroon Consort. Initial impressions were very positive, but the loco managed less than 30 seconds on the test track before there was a loud pop, with a bright flash visible through the engine room window. This was followed by smoke drifting up through the fan vents, as if a smoke unit was fitted, complete with an appropriate burning smell. Needless to say, it will be heading back to Liverpool on Monday. I only hope they have sufficient stock to send a replacement.

I've read some of the grumbles about QC on this thread, but I've known friends who have bought very expensive computer equipment that has been DOA or malfunctioned soon after arrival. It happens.

• Like 1

My first example arrived from Hattons today in the shape of the maroon Consort. Initial impressions were very positive, but the loco managed less than 30 seconds on the test track before there was a loud pop, with a bright flash visible through the engine room window. This was followed by smoke drifting up through the fan vents, as if a smoke unit was fitted, complete with an appropriate burning smell. Needless to say, it will be heading back to Liverpool on Monday. I only hope they have sufficient stock to send a replacement.

I've read some of the grumbles about QC on this thread, but I've known friends who have bought very expensive computer equipment that has been DOA or malfunctioned soon after arrival. It happens.

I would be so hacked off if that happened to me. :ireful:

Update: The postman's been. Well... when I think of all the praise this model's received, I feel that it seems to have been deserved. I've not tried to undo the screws, and the yellow paint will need some tidying up around the edges (not a problem as I have some work I want to do in that area anyway), but :

- the loco was packaged in what was possibly the most protective and "safe" packaging I've yet seen.... much better even that the new Bachmann boxes;

- straight out of the box, it looks the part. Pipes fitted at one already, a nice touch

- it feels solid and weighty... in the right places.

- it ran on my boys 8'x4' roundy negotiating tight curves (some just sub 2nd) and all the points without bother.

- no wheel wobble.... although there's a P4 ultrascale set waiting for it

- some light scratches on some of the transparencies... but nothing that a dob of tee cut won't cure.... and these will be Klear'd at some point too.

So yes... this east-coast diesel enthusiast is pleased.

Really nice to see some of Brian's etches included .... well done that man - what a noble man ;-)

Happy - Jon

What did you find undecipherable "Matt". I'm happy to clarify if needed. Seems a shame to just mark someone down and not ask for something to be clarified!