RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Downendian - I notice you haven't fitted the headcodes to D1000, just like me. Am I the only one to think that self-adhesive headcodes are a bit 'Triang Hornby' on a model that is otherwise meant to be the Rolls Royce of RTR diesels, with a (limited edition, admittedly) price-tag to match?

Which is why I've ordered some headcode labels from Precision Labels, the backlit variety. Eventually, I'll use the Cif technique to remove the black paint on the inside of the h/c apertures and stick in 1A70 and 1J19. It's currently sat taking pride of place on a shelf in the living room. A friend of mine came over on Sunday night to gawp at it, and had a good look over it with a magnifying glass. He's completely bowled over by it. He's a collector of "good" diesel models, so is likely to get one at some point, to go with his Class 37/4 and Bachy DP1 in his display cabinet. D600 class is on his shopping list. A very big thumbs up to Dapol from him.

I have also removed the 'peak' on a Heljan one, simply with a file. There is sufficient 'meat' in the cab roof moulding to allow it to be filed to shape while leaving the horn cover untouched.

All that was needed after that was to repaint the cab roofs and weather the entire roof.

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Interesting pics Neil

I hope ultrascale realise that the wheels are the wrong size. I note that virtually nothing on the roof matches, from cantrail grills, through exhaust ports to the size of the fans. Anyone know which is nearer to the prototype?

Edit - looking at prototype pics the cantrail grill above the windows should be a tad bigger than the others. Heljan have it but im afraid the Dapol one is definately wrong in this area

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

Neils Heljan Western looks pretty darn close after the 'judicious filing', so I may give it a go -if I can get hold of a Heljan marooon one! None on Ebay currently.

As for indicator numerals, the Dapol ones do look wrong as most people have spotted, so I used spares from a Heljan Hymek on my Dapol D1000 and they look pretty close.Anyone else tried them?

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

I agree HT

I expected a lot more Heljan Westerns to appear (theres only 8 currently)

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

I agree HT

I expected a lot more Heljan Westerns to appear (theres only 8 currently)

Cheers

Jim

I was hoping as well but it's still early days or people are going to keep them as they are fantastic runners.

Interesting pics Neil

I hope ultrascale realise that the wheels are the wrong size. I note that virtually nothing on the roof matches, from cantrail grills, through exhaust ports to the size of the fans. Anyone know which is nearer to the prototype?

Edit - looking at prototype pics the cantrail grill above the windows should be a tad bigger than the others. Heljan have it but im afraid the Dapol one is definately wrong in this area

Jim

Wouldn't it have been nice if these comments had been directed at some of the many CAD images DapolDave uploaded?

RWJ

• Like 2

Wouldn't it have been nice if these comments had been directed at some of the many CAD images DapolDave uploaded?

RWJ

Not everyone saw the CAD images.. And anyway there's people at Dapol that are "paid" to check these things.

Cheers 

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

That discussion has been had several pages back - i didnt see a cad thread. Lets not go there again as its not going to change anything. We now have two models to choose from and the discussion has moved on to the actual models themselves. After all the title of the thread is Dapol Western Photo Review and that is what some are doing, reviewing the photos :)

Its much like the class 47 conundrum. If i wanted a 47 that was closest to the real thing from the box id go for vitrains, if i dont mind a bit of work to get one as close as i can id start with the lima body. Equally with the western, out of the box, Dapol without question. As a starting point for an accurate model with a bit of work im kinda thinking Heljan at the moment.

Thats just what id do - im not saying its right

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 2

Mornin' all,

Regarding concerns that the Dapol Western wheel is 1mm too small in diameter. The Ultrascale Western wheel is of the correct diameter (as used for the Heljan conversion) and this is the wheel that they will use. Any consequent issues e.g. with brakeblocks rubbing or slight ride height concerns will be up to the modeller to address. The Ultrascale product is not at fault.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 3

All my heljans have had the mods and are again on stand by until i get a Dapol one to run as is a far better looking model fitted with brakegear in which Heljan really got wrong.

As mentioned i have suffered the dreaded burning of the blanking plates that operate the lights so my Heljan ones will remain until i hope it gets sorted.

richard. :jester:

Hi guys,

Just measured a wheel in a Western just to make sure and its 13.71mm diameter  +/- due to my cold fumbling fingers.

And here's a pic which i took of a Western shoulder grills, that should clarify Jim's grill comments accordingly.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-68180400-1362477416_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Dave has posted a pic in the other thread that shows the window roof grill and I concur that the relationship is the way Dapol have it.  Always happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers

Jim 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

DapolDave must be considering throwing in the towel and taking up something uncontroversial such as politics!

I don't wish to get into the rights and wrongs of the Dapol model - for me, it's superb as it is.

However, I fail to see how *anyone* with the vaguest interest in the Westerns could fail to have been aware of the development of the Dapol model.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33639-Dapol-western-update/

Thirty-seven (!!) pages, starting in March 2011, of the most intricately detailed debate, critical appraisal, and positive input, which must constitute by far the most interactive product development ever in the field of model railways.

I cannot understand how such knowledgeable members failed to be aware of, let alone participate in, this community effort to get a model correct once and for all.

The excuse that "I wasn't aware of it" cuts no ice with me, I'm afraid; and the comment that "there's people at Dapol that are "paid" to check these things" strikes me as totally 'dog in the manger'!

If you have knowledge, and you're going to be critical of the final product, why on earth would you *not* come forward when the opportunity for change was there?

It is now well established that there are people who love the opportunity to show off their superior knowledge when it's too late to alter the 'offending detail; I draw my own conclusions.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 9

Guest jim s-w

Simple John

I had no interest in Westerns but the Dapol model has kindled some.  Are you saying thats a bad thing?

Cheers

Jim

....I expected a lot more Heljan Westerns to appear (theres only 8 currently)

There are quite a few of the Lima ones resurfacing as well. They would go well with the Brassmasters correction kit if people are prepared to stick the (craft) knives in and do the work.

In respect of the apparent electric/electronic problems that appear to be affecting a few of the new Dapol output, would it be possible to graft-in some of the Heljan circuitry as a short-term solution? Or are the two models about as similar internally "as two completely dissimilar things in a pod"....?

Guest jim s-w

Thanks Dave 

But theres only one layout in me - Besides I dunno if I could do something as well if it was further than a 'pop down the road' to check things.   Anyway, Newton Abbot has always appealed a bit more for some reason.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 7

...I cannot understand how such knowledgeable members failed to be aware of, let alone participate in, this community effort to get a model correct once and for all.

The excuse that "I wasn't aware of it" cuts no ice with me, I'm afraid; and the comment that "there's people at Dapol that are "paid" to check these things" strikes me as totally 'dog in the manger'!...

John,

Whilst I don't disagree with much of what you say, you only have to look at the number of "How did I miss this topic?" posts all over RMweb to realise that it is quite possible. For those of us who use the "View New Content" index it would probably have been impossible to miss the Western development topic, but, for those who approach the site via the forum list on the front page, it would have been very easy to miss as it is buried deep in the Trade/Dapol forum. That might not be everyone's first port of call.

Nick

Edited by buffalo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many of the Dapol Western errors are post-CAD John- such as the headcodes. They are trvial yes compared to Heljan but they are there.

These errors are not RMwebbers fault either. We are in a very bad place if we can't discuss the models we buy or intend to buy.

Neil

• Like 3

There are quite a few of the Lima ones resurfacing as well. They would go well with the Brassmasters correction kit if people are prepared to stick the (craft) knives in and do the work.

STOP IT HORSE TAN!!!!!

I didn't realise Brassmasters did a Lima conversion pack......

You've got me juices flowing now!

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave 

Besides I dunno if I could do something as well if it was further than a 'pop down the road' to check things.   Anyway, Newton Abbot has always appealed a bit more for some reason.

Cheers

Jim

Know what you mean about Newton... and it's not 'in the bowels of the earth' either. I'm a Brummie, but live near Newton now, and I could do all the 'popping down the road' for you!!!!