Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2023 at 23:47, adb968008 said:

To get to the motor…

remove the body.. then on the chassis remove these six screws..

CB846F80-475D-483E-B3FC-4C93BE8F6D7B.jpeg.b045bbcc5fe8b6375413ddaa6a1cc78e.jpeg

then unclip the bogie.. and remove the shaft, repeat both bogies..

F4525B52-139F-48CE-B622-C0235CD0866D.jpeg.38d2a50025a05881a00f2048b0a0f5c4.jpeg

Undo the two front end screws, (yellow)  one each end…, then, gently unclip the chassis frame.. 10 lugs (red) , but they unclip easy enough..

A2DEE9F8-670E-49C3-8F60-ADB4D1F473BD.jpeg.268c2d6a8838f87f878e56521df4c7e2.jpeg

Flip upside down, gently tease the bogies through the chassis frame, so you can completely remove the frame clear… careful not to strain the motor bogie pickup wires (as this is all thats holding the bogie).

then unscrew the motor mount.. and the motor comes loose, you will need to ultimately disconnect the bogie pickup wires, and the motor contact wires to remove the motor.

They ultimately solder to the board like this (red wire to red circled, Black to (green) circled, and the motor red/black to the motor section (yellow circled).D4F63A3F-5F4F-4943-AB5C-75CDBC16CD6C.jpeg.c3e138025823a1ddf248329133c16d21.jpeg

with the motor free, i’d pull off the two plastic bearing cups, then remove the flywheels.

Then remove the jacket around the motor and the two spacers.

DAA000ED-38B6-4467-80DB-17EAE79AE218.jpeg.f1a2d3b0c473b489c74f3d87cbecd902.jpeg

(old motor here removed from the chassis and flipped upside down, so you can see the jacket around it, and the screw mounting point).

For a replacement I can get a Dapol class 73 motor to fit, but the fly wheels need pushing tighter on, or you could remove them and reuse the old ones. You will need to refit the plastic cups either way… see old and Dapol 73 here..

A5D2927F-68E7-4CBB-A921-79CA6EE97907.jpeg.1335e60de5ea61836076fad6ee2354f0.jpeg

I needed only 1 spacer, as the motor is a fraction longer, but reuse the jacket around the old motor, to hold the new motor in place… then solder it up, refit the chassis, reassemble the drive shaft and bogies… test it, then finally refit the screws.

you can find very similar generic motors that will work in this size here (and may well be exactly the same in several different rtr manufacturers locos here)..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002670420818.html

Have you copied that from the Haynes Manual on how to change a Ford Capri heater matrix.

"First remove front and rear numberplates"

Mike.

• Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

What type motors are used on there diesels looking to purchase the Western 52  and class 21 & 22

are they Coreless.

Specification found by searching on Dapol website - https://www.dapol.co.uk/collections/class-52-western/products/4d-003-017-oo-gauge-western-gladiator-br-maroon-fye-d1016?variant=43341643219167

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Any one have these correct blanking plates.

Drop me a PM Paul with a picture of one …, I have a box full bound to be one in there 

On 28/03/2023 at 15:28, rembrow said:

When the blanking plate failed on one of my two first batch Westerns, I got a free replacement from DCC Supplies, who were Dapol's warranty and spares agent. I bought a second plate from them, which is in the box of the second Western, just in case. Afaik the blanking plates are no longer available. They had circuitry as they managed the lighting functions in dc. 

Can you show a picture of the Dapol blanking plate please.

• RMweb Gold

Dapol blanking plate in this picture..

On 27/04/2023 at 23:26, paul 27 said:

Can you show a picture of the Dapol blanking plate please.

On 28/03/2023 at 14:44, adb968008 said:

By removing the body you could test this without removing the motor by putting probes onto M+ and M- (Yellow circle) directly and the motor should go…

C800CB12-6722-4337-9EE1-3D30E632A4F9.jpeg.5544cdfb864580c81687beab286b6780.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2023 at 06:25, Suzy Sulzer said:

An advertisment\Post has appeared today on the facebook  page for the STEAM museum ltd edition D1000 showing received finished sample.  

Looks good. I’ve reserved my sound version. 

• Like 2

Fitting a sound decoder the speaker wires are soldered to SP1 and SP2  shown in picture

is this correct,  does the Analogue model use the same PCB as the pre fitted sound version.

The answer is Yes,   Please Delete.

Edited by paul 27

• 2 months later...
On 08/08/2023 at 23:17, Super-Sloth said:

I’ve had my DCC sound western delivered today. 
Are they supposed to come with a functions list sheet? I have one for lighting but not sound. 

I got the STEAM Museum D1000 SYP and it also has no sound instructions.

I think I have probably worked out most sounds, including lights, but it really should come with instructions.  I tried using the Dapol website for instructions but that doesn't appear to work when clicking on their support page links.

Has anyone actually got a sound functions list with theirs?

If so, could you share it?

Thanks,

Ixion.

The 

14 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

I got the STEAM Museum D1000 SYP and it also has no sound instructions.

I think I have probably worked out most sounds, including lights, but it really should come with instructions.  I tried using the Dapol website for instructions but that doesn't appear to work when clicking on their support page links.

Has anyone actually got a sound functions list with theirs?

If so, could you share it?

Thanks,

Ixion.

I contacted the supplier who sent me a copy of the DCC function sheet in word.
See below:
Hopefully this will help.

Thank you for purchasing the Class 52 ‘Western’ with sound. 

The sound project contains some unique features designed to enhance the driving experience and increase the authenticity. 

There are a number of sounds that occur when a function button is pressed, and a number of sounds that are played automatically. These are detailed on the following pages. 

We hope you enjoy the added realism and enhanced driving experience that this will bring to your layout operations. To get the best realism and satisfaction out of your sound decoder, you will need to practice a little bit of driving! 

Dapol factory-fitted sound 

The DCC address is set to 3. 

Some notes about sound functions:  

1. Some sounds are always active (e.g. door slams, horns flange squeal). Others are enabled when F1 is ON (e.g. engine sounds). The active sounds can be played by pressing the appropriate function button 

2. Some sounds operate automatically. These sounds will only be heard when certain prototypical conditions are met (e.g. brake squeal when braking to a stop).  

The ‘RealDrive’ Experience 

The driving experience can be enhanced by activating ‘RealDrive’. This changes the set up of the driving characteristics, such that you will need to apply the brake in order to bring the locomotive to a controlled stop – simply closing the throttle will not suffice! 

Explanation of ‘RealDrive’: In this mode, you feel you really are driving the engine; assuming the locomotive (train) is travelling at a medium speed as the regulator is closed (speed step 0) the locomotive will continue to coast for some considerable distance, slowing gradually. Applying the brake using F7 will bring the model to a stop. The braking speed can be adjusted by changing CVs as below. 

When F7 is ON the brake is ON. When F7 is OFF, the brake is OFF.  

The braking intensity can be altered via CV349. Some users prefer sharper brakes, which allows several short applications to bring the locomotive to a controlled stop (if possible set F7 on your DCC system to ‘momentary' operation). Other users may prefer a gentle brake (use a higher value in CV349) so that only a single application of the brake is needed to bring the locomotive to a halt.  CV 349 factory setting is 30. 

Note: If the brake is left ON, the locomotive will not accelerate. This means that if it is stationary and the brake is ON when the regulator is opened, the locomotive will not move. 

Note: The brake will not 'win' over the regulator. This means that if the brake is applied whilst the regulator is open it will continue to run at the current speed. 

To activate ‘RealDrive’ set CV4 to 254, and CV309 to 7.  

To de-activate ‘RealDrive’ set CV4 to 40, and CV309 to 0. These are the factory settings 

Function key summary:- 

F0: White marker lights (directional) 

F1: Startup/shutdown 

F2: Two-tone horns 

F3: Two-tone horns 

F4: Passenger door slams 

F5: Guard's whistle 

F6: Single tone horn 

F7: Brake application/release 

F8: Flange squeal 

F9: Light engine mode (reduced inertia) 

F10: Red tail lights (directional) 

F11: Cab lights (directional) 

F12: All sounds fade out/in 

F13: Coupling/uncoupling 

F14: Cab door closing 

F15: Parking lights (red tail lights at both ends simultaneously) 

F16: Two-tone horns 

F17: Two-tone horns 

F18: Air release 

Sound and lighting modes 

F0: White marker lights 

When F0 is turned on, the white marker lights at the ‘forward’ end will be illuminated according to the direction currently selected. 

F1: Startup/shutdown 

On pressing F1 (F1 ON), with the speed set at 0, the sound of the engines starting will be heard. On pressing F1 again (F1 OFF) with the speed set at 0, the sound of the engines shutting down will be heard.  

Alternatively, the startup sequence can be by-passed by turning F1 on whilst the loco is moving. The engine sound will come on at a notch appropriate to the current speed. Similarly, if F1 is turned off whilst the loco is moving, the engine sound will simply cut off. 

Driving technique: The engine sounds work best if the throttle is opened directly to the desired speed and left there. The inertia will control the movement of the Locomotive in a realistic manner and the engine/transmission will be heard to go up through the notches as per the prototype. For deceleration, the best results are obtained with ‘RealDrive’ enabled as this allows the throttle to be closed fully and the Locomotive then being brought to a halt using the working brake (F7). In this way, the engine is heard to spool down to idling which simulates prototypically the behaviour of the locomotive coasting. 

F2: Two-tone horns 

On pressing F2, short high/low horns will be heard.  

F3: Two-tone horns 

On pressing F3, short low/high horns will be heard. 

F4: Passenger door slams 

On pressing F4, the sound of the coach doors closing will be heard. If F4 is left ON, more door slams will be heard. To reduce the number of door slams, turn F4 OFF when the required number of door slams has been heard. Note that, depending on the direction of travel currently selected, the door sounds will differ slightly to add variety. Remember to turn off the function when you have used it, otherwise the door sounds will be heard when changing the direction of travel. 

F5: Guard's whistle 

On pressing F5, the sound of the Guard's whistle will be heard.  

F6: Single tone horn 

On pressing F6, a medium low horn will be heard 

F7: Brake application/release 

When F7 is pressed, the sound of the brakes being applied will be heard. When F7 is pressed again (F7 turned off), the sound of the brakes being released will be heard. Note that if 'RealDrive' is enabled, the working brake will also be applied (F7 ON) and also released (F7 OFF) 

F8: Flange squeal 

On pressing F8, the sound of the wheel flanges squealing will be heard. The sound will play for 26 seconds, or F8 can be switched off in order to stop the sound playing. 

F9: Light engine mode 

With F9 ON, the inertia will be reduced to simulate a lightly loaded engine or train. 

F10: Red tail lights 

When F10 is turned on, the red tail light at the ‘reverse’ end will be illuminated according to the direction currently selected. 

F11: Cab lights (directional) 

When F11 is on, the leading driver's cab light will be illuminated according to the currently selected direction. 

F12: All sounds fade out/in 

When F12 is pressed (F12 ON), all sounds will slowly fade to silence. This can be used when the Locomotive is going 'off-scene' or into a tunnel to simulate the locomotive going out of earshot. When F12 is pressed again (F12 OFF), all sounds will slowly fade back in to their previous volumes. This can be used when the Locomotive is coming 'on-scene' or out of a tunnel to simulate the locomotive coming into earshot. 

F13: Coupling up/uncoupling 

On pressing F13, the sound of the coupling being placed on the hook will be heard. On pressing F13 again (F13 OFF), the sound of uncoupling will be heard. 

F14: Cab door slam 

On pressing F14, the sound of the cab door being slammed will be heard. 

F15: Parking lights 

When F15 is turned on, the red tail lights both at the ‘forward’ and at the  ‘reverse’ end of the locomotive will be will be illuminated simultaneously regardless of the direction of travel currently selected. 

F16: Two-tone horns 

On pressing F16, short high/low horns will be heard.  

F17: Two-tone horns 

On pressing F17, short low/high horns will be heard. 

F18: Air release 

On pressing F18, the sound of the air being released will be heard. 

Automatic functions 

Brake squeal: The brake squeal will be played when the speed of the locomotive drops below the threshold AND the locomotive is decelerating. Note that if 'RealDrive' is enabled, the brake squeal will only be played when the speed of the locomotive drops below the threshold AND the locomotive is decelerating AND the brake is ON (F7 ON).  

Other useful CVs 

CV3 Acceleration rate ('heavy' engine (F9 OFF): As supplied this is set to a value of 120. This can be adjusted to give the required amount of inertia; a higher value will give slower acceleration whilst a lower value gives more rapid acceleration 

CV4 Deceleration rate ('heavy' engine (F9 OFF): As supplied this is set to a value of 40.  This can be adjusted to give the required amount of inertia; a higher value gives a slower deceleration.  A lower value gives more rapid acceleration. Note for 'RealDrive' this should be set to a value of 254. 

CV390 ‘Light engine’ inertia reduction: This specifies the amount of inertiathat is applied when the ‘light engine’ mode is ON (F9 ON). As supplied this is set to a value of 85. This can be adjusted to give the required amount of ‘light engine inertia; a higher value will give slower acceleration and deceleration whilst a lower value gives more rapid acceleration and deceleration. 

CV266 Overall volume: As supplied, this is set to a value of 64. A higher value will increase the volume whilst a lower value will decrease the volume. The recommended maximum is around 100. 

Edited by Super-Sloth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Does anyone know where I can obtain spare headcode sets for the OO 52?  I have D1015 and have damaged the ‘offset domino’ set.  I need them to model Champion as running in 2002 when hauling the CDAs.  I can’t find them on the DCC Supplies site.

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

D1015 Par 2002.jpeg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

Does anyone know where I can obtain spare headcode sets for the OO 52?  I have D1015 and have damaged the ‘offset domino’ set.  I need them to model Champion as running in 2002 when hauling the CDAs.  I can’t find them on the DCC Supplies site.

Andrew

D1015 Par 2002.jpeg

Bought these on the Internet. 

They're made by model.graphics and look much more realistic than what comes in the box IMO .

If you PM me , I can send the the relavant domino decals 1692053988301541424560143633218.jpg.3c760f195ccf2ba95921d7700cdfe654.jpgto you .

HTH

Edited by Albie the plumber

4 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Thanks Super-Sloth!

I guess maybe they didn't get round to printing it for inclusion in the box in time.

Never mind... what you've posted is really useful, thanks!

Cheers,

Ixion.

Possibly?  However, I did have the DCC (non sound) function sheet included in the box, so I’m going to assume it was an oversight at the factory?  No great shakes either way. 👍

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

Andrew

D1015 Par 2002.jpeg

Slightly OT but I have the VHS video of this event somewhere...........so I haven't watched it for a while then ( 🥴! ) but the two stand-out moments I still remember are the driver leaning out of the cab window at Goonbarrow Junction and saying "Look what I've got!" to the signalman, and towards the end the awesome sound of D1015 hauling the loaded rake of CDAs up the hill at Treesmill.............hmm, I wonder if it's still available on DVD.......?

Just detectable at the far end of the loco, beyond the numberplate, is the wrap-around end of the experimental T-shaped yellow panel D1015 never carried in BR service but did carry during its first year of so back on the main line - it had lost this by the time it headed the Paddington - Penzance 'Royal Duchy' tour on 9th August 2003 (20 years and 6 days ago) for which it had also gained red bufferbeams, D1000-style cast alloy BR crests and 'Sir Misha Black - Western Class Locomotive designer' nameplates. And TPWS equipment!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Slightly OT but I have the VHS video of this event somewhere...........so I haven't watched it for a while then ( 🥴! ) but the two stand-out moments I still remember are the driver leaning out of the cab window at Goonbarrow Junction and saying "Look what I've got!" to the signalman, and towards the end the awesome sound of D1015 hauling the loaded rake of CDAs up the hill at Treesmill.............hmm, I wonder if it's still available on DVD.......?

Just detectable at the far end of the loco, beyond the numberplate, is the wrap-around end of the experimental T-shaped yellow panel D1015 never carried in BR service but did carry during its first year of so back on the main line - it had lost this by the time it headed the Paddington - Penzance 'Royal Duchy' tour on 9th August 2003 (20 years and 6 days ago) for which it had also gained red bufferbeams, D1000-style cast alloy BR crests and 'Sir Misha Black - Western Class Locomotive designer' nameplates. And TPWS equipment!

It is available on DVD, I dug my copy out last week and watched it again for the first time in years, I’d forgotten how good it was. The driver on 1015 is Adrian Davies of St.Blazey and previously Rugby, and the Instructor is Steve Wainwright who was our guvnor at Rugby a few years ago. I heard on the grapevine recently that 1015 might not be returning to the mainline which is a real pity.

You’re right about the T shaped warning panel at one end, it only wore this for about two days and was painted out before the loco was allowed out past the Works exit signal for its first test run.

Edited by Rugd1022

2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

You’re right about the T shaped warning panel at one end, it only wore this for about two days and was painted out before the loco was allowed out past the Works exit signal for its first test run.

That wasn't the only tweak made to the livery after those official photos taken in the snow outside Swindon Works in January 1963 - the white windscreen corner pillars and black buffer stocks were overpainted Golden Ochre too. Wish I hadn't referred to these photos when detailing up my Heljan model, but at least I have some Railmatch GO paint to hand to put it right......one day........soon.......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Halvarras said:

That wasn't the only tweak made to the livery after those official photos taken in the snow outside Swindon Works in January 1963 - the white windscreen corner pillars and black buffer stocks were overpainted Golden Ochre too. Wish I hadn't referred to these photos when detailing up my Heljan model, but at least I have some Railmatch GO paint to hand to put it right......one day........soon.......

Here it is in Swindon Works, still in golden ochre in '64...

D1015SWWKSAGYUK.jpg.5b24c2cfc326449cadfba701b6088fec.jpg

(Photo Anthony Guppy collection, original photographer unknown)

• Like 5