Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

@cctransuk thank you! That will be a last resort! 

@Phil Bullock Sounds good for pushing the sides out first before the front. I checked the site last night and there was no results for the glazing, but definitely wipers. I'll shoot them an email, as I'm not in the country. 

As for the body mouldings, I had no idea! But would Dapol have released a post-1973 clip body in maroon? I don't even know where to look for those clips. 

• RMweb Gold

As for the body mouldings, I had no idea! But would Dapol have released a post-1973 clip body in maroon? I don't even know where to look for those clips. 

This one..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklistdatabase/74813/dapol_4d_003_008_class_52_diesel_locomotive_d1023_western_fusilier_in_br_maroon_with_small_yellow/stockdetail.aspx

has talisman clips… 4 yellow vertical “straight” lines at the top of the battery boxes.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

All westerns were blue by 1971 - Talisman clips were fitted following the Ealing derailment in December 1973 which means that model of Fusilier is preservation based …. Maroon with Talisman clips. So if it bothers you that Fusilier model would be your best starting point for an MSYP western in preservation. Would not be too difficult to change the clips on yours …. Just carefully cut down the original clips and overlay with appropriate micro strip.

Fir the sake of clarity here are the two types of clip for comparison…. Enterprise (top) has the original pear drop shaped clip which caused the derailment by not dropping home…. And Firebrand (bottom) has the Talisman clips .

Phil

F7F97315-5014-4F45-A4D0-09A3E5402E65.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

The DCC Supplies Western spares was running to about 20 pages, however as of today there appear to be 4 pages currently. It might be worth dropping them an email to enquire regarding standard glazing? I bought two complete detail packs only recently so I can't believe they sold almost everything in the space of a month.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2021 at 10:49, w124bob said:

The DCC Supplies Western spares was running to about 20 pages, however as of today there appear to be 4 pages currently. It might be worth dropping them an email to enquire regarding standard glazing? I bought two complete detail packs only recently so I can't believe they sold almost everything in the space of a month.

Hi! I did receive an email back and they restocked the glazing and happily purchased a set, along with another pair of wipers!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ribird said:

Hi! I did receive an email back and they restocked the glazing and happily purchased a set, along with another pair of wipers!

Thats good news! It’s a great model

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thats good news! It’s a great model

Unless you're an awkward sod who wants to fit Ultrascale EM wheels and the super duper full fat brakegear and then expect/hope it will go round tightish, pushing your luck type curves, or so a friend tells me!!!!!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2021 at 02:04, Ribird said:

Hello all,

I just recently purchased and received my Dapol OO Western King from Cheltenham Models for a really good price. One thing I did not know, that has now screwed me, is that two of the three exclusive BR maroon 52's have the experimental wipers, which one of them is Western King, the one I bought. (EDIT: I’ve read that the third exclusive for Cheltenham has additional vents and extra etched BR plate). Not saying the model is wrong, just my mistake. It is a beautiful model and having all those small parts on top fitted already is a godsend. The plan was for this model, was to rename into Western Champion in its preservation form (I know she is currently in Chromatic Blue as of 2021)

The front glazing seems to be one piece that can be pushed inwards to pop out. Wipers are separately fitted. 

I am wondering if the cab glazing is (or was) available to purchase? I know I can find the wipers on DCC Supplies. (I've tried searching the topic, but all I get is the headcode glazing issues)

I have not emailed them about said glazing, yet, as I wanted everyone's expertise first.

Thank you! 

image.png.796c9f8f5eab34fb79d18cbe042135de.png

Thank you for putting me onto this. Mine arrived this morning after having spent over a week in Bristol Mail Centre. Brunel giving it a thorough check? :D Going by the prices of diesels now, £99·99 plus post is an incredible bargain, especially for a limited edition. No heart-stopping moments fitting name and numberplates and no lifting eyes pinging away into oblivion either. I know it’s a diesel but I’m very chuffed. I feel a little sorry for CMC having to sell them off cheaply to shift them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2021 at 02:04, Ribird said:

Hello all,

I just recently purchased and received my Dapol OO Western King from Cheltenham Models for a really good price. One thing I did not know, that has now screwed me, is that two of the three exclusive BR maroon 52's have the experimental wipers, which one of them is Western King, the one I bought. (EDIT: I’ve read that the third exclusive for Cheltenham has additional vents and extra etched BR plate). Not saying the model is wrong, just my mistake. It is a beautiful model and having all those small parts on top fitted already is a godsend. The plan was for this model, was to rename into Western Champion in its preservation form (I know she is currently in Chromatic Blue as of 2021)

The front glazing seems to be one piece that can be pushed inwards to pop out. Wipers are separately fitted. 

I am wondering if the cab glazing is (or was) available to purchase? I know I can find the wipers on DCC Supplies. (I've tried searching the topic, but all I get is the headcode glazing issues)

I have not emailed them about said glazing, yet, as I wanted everyone's expertise first.

Thank you! 

image.png.796c9f8f5eab34fb79d18cbe042135de.png

Sometimes the Angels look down upon us. Western King was the first Western I ever saw and as a bonus I was hauled to Paddington by it that night. I bought a SYP maroon Western from Kernow Models last year with the intention of fitting Western King nameplates to it; not knowing about the experimental rotary wiper. The very recent update to this thread alerted me to this and I have just ordered one from Cheltenham Models :D:yahoo:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rembrow said:

Dapol have announced a further run of 'oo' Westerns, four liveries  green syp, maroon syp, blue fye and  Western Champion in golden ochre, with the unique syp

Was excited about D1015 but unclear whether it is 1960's or as preserved early 2000's. Asked my local model shop - Cheltenham Model Centre who emailed Dapol and they have now replied its to be 'as preserved'.

A shame from my perspective but good news for others I guess. 

40 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Was excited about D1015 but unclear whether it is 1960's or as preserved early 2000's. Asked my local model shop - Cheltenham Model Centre who emailed Dapol and they have now replied its to be 'as preserved'.

A shame from my perspective but good news for others I guess. 

It may reflect it's initial livery on release from build in Jan 1963. According to the Diesel Traction Group  the 'A' end had an experimental yellow panel, which it wore for 4 days, before repainting into oblong. I assume the preservation ochre livery with the 'T' shaped panel recreates this.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, rembrow said:

It may reflect it's initial livery on release from build in Jan 1963. According to the Diesel Traction Group  the 'A' end had an experimental yellow panel, which it wore for 4 days, before repainting into oblong. I assume the preservation ochre livery with the 'T' shaped panel recreates this.

Yes but it’s also different pattern OHLE flashes, battery box clips, air brakes and possibly a radio Ariel In preservation 

Phil

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ribird said:

GWR STEAM museum is taking reserves for a limited edition of D1000 in desert sand with small yellow warning panel. ₤199.95. 500 models in total. Can choose between; DCC ready, DCC fitted, and DCC sound. 

Are you saying its payment/deposit ?

Edited by Suzy Sulzer

1 hour ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Are you saying its payment/deposit ?

No payment taken, you are placing an interest in one of the 3 versions, your personal details are taken but no deposit or card details are requested. I have received an e-mail confirmation.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Has anybody had to change motors, in their Dapol thousand? One of mine seems to have issues, I can not find any spares online, I was just wondering if anybody had replaced theirs with a motor from a different loco, that’s fits ok? As DC only, not too worried about wiring back up via the board, as lights on a thousand in daylight running not really necessary.

Many thanks

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, 47509 said:

Has anybody had to change motors, in their Dapol thousand?

Not a problem I have encountered with a fleet of seven all of which are quite high on running hours.  One or two are noisier than the others but always have been.  One has always been very slightly "coggy" at slow speeds.  But otherwise they remain the best of their class in my book overall.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

To get to the motor…

remove the body.. then on the chassis remove these six screws..

CB846F80-475D-483E-B3FC-4C93BE8F6D7B.jpeg.b045bbcc5fe8b6375413ddaa6a1cc78e.jpeg

then unclip the bogie.. and remove the shaft, repeat both bogies..

F4525B52-139F-48CE-B622-C0235CD0866D.jpeg.38d2a50025a05881a00f2048b0a0f5c4.jpeg

Undo the two front end screws, (yellow)  one each end…, then, gently unclip the chassis frame.. 10 lugs (red) , but they unclip easy enough..

A2DEE9F8-670E-49C3-8F60-ADB4D1F473BD.jpeg.268c2d6a8838f87f878e56521df4c7e2.jpeg

Flip upside down, gently tease the bogies through the chassis frame, so you can completely remove the frame clear… careful not to strain the motor bogie pickup wires (as this is all thats holding the bogie).

then unscrew the motor mount.. and the motor comes loose, you will need to ultimately disconnect the bogie pickup wires, and the motor contact wires to remove the motor.

They ultimately solder to the board like this (red wire to red circled, Black to (green) circled, and the motor red/black to the motor section (yellow circled).D4F63A3F-5F4F-4943-AB5C-75CDBC16CD6C.jpeg.c3e138025823a1ddf248329133c16d21.jpeg

with the motor free, i’d pull off the two plastic bearing cups, then remove the flywheels.

Then remove the jacket around the motor and the two spacers.

DAA000ED-38B6-4467-80DB-17EAE79AE218.jpeg.f1a2d3b0c473b489c74f3d87cbecd902.jpeg

(old motor here removed from the chassis and flipped upside down, so you can see the jacket around it, and the screw mounting point).

For a replacement I can get a Dapol class 73 motor to fit, but the fly wheels need pushing tighter on, or you could remove them and reuse the old ones. You will need to refit the plastic cups either way… see old and Dapol 73 here..

A5D2927F-68E7-4CBB-A921-79CA6EE97907.jpeg.1335e60de5ea61836076fad6ee2354f0.jpeg

I needed only 1 spacer, as the motor is a fraction longer, but reuse the jacket around the old motor, to hold the new motor in place… then solder it up, refit the chassis, reassemble the drive shaft and bogies… test it, then finally refit the screws.

you can find very similar generic motors that will work in this size here (and may well be exactly the same in several different rtr manufacturers locos here)..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002670420818.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Just a thought, was 1000 one of the first run of Westerns produced by Dapol, if so, there is a known manufacturing fault with some of the dc blanking plugs produced, whereby motor would cease working but lighting was ok. I had a Western with this issue from the first run. Might be worth testing the motor once seperated from the circuit wiring to ensure it is 'dead'

Edited by rembrow
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Just a thought, was 1000 one of the first run of Westerns produced by Dapol, if so, there is a known manufacturing fault with some of the dc blanking plugs produced, whereby motor would cease working but lighting was ok. I had a Western with this issue from the first run. Might be worth testing the motor once seperated from the circuit wiring to ensure it is 'dead'

It was I believe THE first release of all.

Always worth checking that the motor is actually dead by applying power directly to it - I have a 'lights on but no-one at home' Dapol Class 22 on which the motor would run fine when directly powered - because it was awkward to get at it took me ages to discover that the solder had parted company with one of the carbon brush holders. Fixed now.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

To get to the motor…

remove the body.. then on the chassis remove these six screws..

CB846F80-475D-483E-B3FC-4C93BE8F6D7B.jpeg.b045bbcc5fe8b6375413ddaa6a1cc78e.jpeg

then unclip the bogie.. and remove the shaft, repeat both bogies..

F4525B52-139F-48CE-B622-C0235CD0866D.jpeg.38d2a50025a05881a00f2048b0a0f5c4.jpeg

Undo the two front end screws, (yellow)  one each end…, then, gently unclip the chassis frame.. 10 lugs (red) , but they unclip easy enough..

A2DEE9F8-670E-49C3-8F60-ADB4D1F473BD.jpeg.268c2d6a8838f87f878e56521df4c7e2.jpeg

Flip upside down, gently tease the bogies through the chassis frame, so you can completely remove the frame clear… careful not to strain the motor bogie pickup wires (as this is all thats holding the bogie).

then unscrew the motor mount.. and the motor comes loose, you will need to ultimately disconnect the bogie pickup wires, and the motor contact wires to remove the motor.

They ultimately solder to the board like this (red wire to red circled, Black to (green) circled, and the motor red/black to the motor section (yellow circled).D4F63A3F-5F4F-4943-AB5C-75CDBC16CD6C.jpeg.c3e138025823a1ddf248329133c16d21.jpeg

with the motor free, i’d pull off the two plastic bearing cups, then remove the flywheels.

Then remove the jacket around the motor and the two spacers.

DAA000ED-38B6-4467-80DB-17EAE79AE218.jpeg.f1a2d3b0c473b489c74f3d87cbecd902.jpeg

(old motor here removed from the chassis and flipped upside down, so you can see the jacket around it, and the screw mounting point).

For a replacement I can get a Dapol class 73 motor to fit, but the fly wheels need pushing tighter on, or you could remove them and reuse the old ones. You will need to refit the plastic cups either way… see old and Dapol 73 here..

A5D2927F-68E7-4CBB-A921-79CA6EE97907.jpeg.1335e60de5ea61836076fad6ee2354f0.jpeg

I needed only 1 spacer, as the motor is a fraction longer, but reuse the jacket around the old motor, to hold the new motor in place… then solder it up, refit the chassis, reassemble the drive shaft and bogies… test it, then finally refit the screws.

you can find very similar generic motors that will work in this size here (and may well be exactly the same in several different rtr manufacturers locos here)..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002670420818.html

Touch wood but no problems with any of my 3 (from the first, second and most recent batches). But this is so useful I am going to print it off and put it in one of the boxes  - you never know. This is what I love about RMweb - enthusiasts helping out enthusiasts :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

It was I believe THE first release of all.

Always worth checking that the motor is actually dead by applying power directly to it - I have a 'lights on but no-one at home' Dapol Class 22 on which the motor would run fine when directly powered - because it was awkward to get at it took me ages to discover that the solder had parted company with one of the carbon brush holders. Fixed now.

By removing the body you could test this without removing the motor by putting probes onto M+ and M- (Yellow circle) directly and the motor should go…

C800CB12-6722-4337-9EE1-3D30E632A4F9.jpeg.5544cdfb864580c81687beab286b6780.jpeg

i learnt something I didnt know last night… the bogies on the western use real springs in the suspension… I love this model, it was the “first” of everything we have in todays standards.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

When the blanking plate failed on one of my two first batch Westerns, I got a free replacement from DCC Supplies, who were Dapol's warranty and spares agent. I bought a second plate from them, which is in the box of the second Western, just in case. Afaik the blanking plates are no longer available. They had circuitry as they managed the lighting functions in dc. 

• Informative/Useful 1