My 7mm Workbench

Hi had a few days off, so l decided to have a clear up, and sort out all my railway bits, l then found l had bits and bobs like a smokebox door, chimney, buffers etc, l then came up with an idea to build a loco from Plasticard as l have tons of off-cuts of various thickness, so a start was made, l have built two brass 7mm locos that are all finished, (cant afford a new kit yet) so l copied the G6 (a southern tank) but the only tube l had good enough for a boiler was to short, so l then thought l would put in a square boiler, something like the Jinty 3f so l began the build, it is totally freelance so l am looking for a class to fit it in to, it will have a 0-6-0 chassis, and will be used in the yard on shunting duties, l thought l would call my hybrid a G1 Class 2f 0-6-0

post-7716-0-25910400-1300363261_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-26513400-1300363393_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-75943800-1300363456_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-22523900-1300363522_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-45685200-1300363579_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the feedback lads, to answer a few questions

Andy, l have a lot of odd bits left over from the two kits l have built, and the firebox is odds and sods of white metal/plasticard.

Rob, it has taken about three days to get the body built, and when funds allow l will get the wheels and some brass for the chassis.

Ian, it is a MMP axle box on top of the smokebox, unlike your dogfish, l made a right dogs ear of mine, so l scrapped it, maybe l will resurrect it one day.

Ressaldar, l'm not too sure about a number l was thinking of something like 32901, l will have to do some research at a later date,

To sum it up it has been a worth while exercise, plus keeping my hand in until the next kit, and as l already have a spare motor/gearbox to fit, the cost will only be the wheels and the brass for the chassis, not bad when you can get a new loco, and get rid of your spare bits all for about £50.

what l need now is some 7mm scale drawings of some southern steam locos, Does anyone know where l can get them from ?

post-7716-0-49894600-1300436831_thumb.jpg

Hi George,

A couple of books to get you going:

Pictorial History of Southern Locomotives by Jim Russell ISBN 0-86093-443-8 published by Oxford Pblishing

Southern Locomotives to Scale by Ian Beattie ISBN 0-85153-389-2 published by Bradford Barton

or you could try www.smegonline.com for some leads

regards

Mike .

Great to see someone else using plasticard for loco body construction. I hope you won't mind if I post a couple of pictures of two more plasticard loco bodies. These are both 4 mm, one being an ex LNER A6 4-6-2 tank; the other being another ex LNER T1 4-8-0 tank. Both locos are of NER origins.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-39993900-1300438124_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-48703900-1300438152_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few pictures of the progress on the chassis, it is all made from 80thou plasticard as you can see, l have packed it solid with the stuff and it is solid, l will fire it up soon and marry it to the body and hopefully will be shunting in the yard very soon............

post-7716-0-72448000-1301514064_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-32889200-1301514137_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

or you could try www.smegonline.com for some leads

regards

Mike .

(Fnaarr Fnaarr)....if you want a cooker.

Or if you're more interested in Southern locos, you might get some better leads at www.semgonline.com

I mean, what company calls itself Smeg Technology?? :unsure: :lol:

Sorry Mike, couldn't resist. By the way George that's a gorgeous model you've built there - yours too Mike(meg) - those first photos really show how a coat of primer "evens out the competition" between models built from various materials. Have you used the bogroll yet?

Looking forward to more of this ilk.

Neil

Hi Neil,

thanks for pointing that out, - the right letters but not necessarily in the right order - or as Captain Mainwaring would say " I wondered when you were going to spot that Wilson"

Appologies to all those who went via the kitchen sink to the correct site.

And finally, thanks for the comments on the Q1.

regards

Mike

Hi Lads, Thanks for the kind comments, but l'm afraid my venture into a plastic chassis was a big failure, it all looked good at the start, but when l started to run it things wore out pretty quick, l got it to run really nice and l was very pleased, but after a while it changed and started to stop and start then the rods became jammed, found out why, it was because two of the bearings were spinning with the axles causing it to wear the plastic out, so l'll have to admit defeat, so l have built a chassis in good old brass, l must say l really enjoyed the loco build, and will possibly build another from a scale drawing next time though, l have just bought a piercing saw, with loads of blades, so l will be cutting out everything in sight just to get the hang of it, and hopefully l can build my M7 from scratch.......

post-7716-0-22254300-1302811445_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-85315300-1302811570_thumb.jpg

having a break from locomotives for a moment, next thing l have always liked the southern vans CCT etc, and while l was looking for inspiration on paul bartletts website l saw loads of the southern vans for modelling so l have built a Tool van, its again made from plasticard and is totally freelance based on a southern type van, two doors on one side and one on the over, blanked out windows etc, l need to finish the roof off and paint.........

post-7716-0-05998100-1302812465_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-98822700-1302812527_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-60325300-1302812614_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-27772000-1302812694_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-37699800-1302812763_thumb.jpg

Very nice work on the van.

Re the bearings turning with the axles, I think a bit of loctite once you know everything is in line would avoid that, but too late now.

Why are building freelance stuff? Are you doing some Rev Audrey thing with a completely imaginary railway?

Good point Dajt, in retrospect l should have fixed the bearings to the chassis, but the other problems were that l drilled through the chassis for the rods to hold the brake gear on to, but l did not want to superglue everything, so tried to solder them together and made a right pigs ear of it, you know heat and plastic don't go together very well?, plus in the little time it was put together it had started to warp a little, and that was enough, scrap bin here we come,

many years ago l built a white metal kit of a southern K class 2-6-0 tender loco, it cost a lot of money even in those days, but the wheels and l think the motor were in the kit, l remember the chassis was just two lumps of brass, it was awful, but l built it eventually with the poor instructions, it ran like a bag of nails, but it was my pride and joy, the club l was with at time had a exhibition so l thought l would give K class its debut, what a big mistake remarks like 'ls that the right tender' or 'They did'nt have cab doors opening outwards' and 'l thought the driving wheels were bigger' did my head in, l know constructive criticism is very good and we all need it to improve our models, but the rivet counters really p.ss me off, so if l build anything without a good reliable drawing, then l say it is a southern type of whatever.. regards

Hi George,

big shame about the loco, would have been better to pose a question or two on here before you got the hammer out. The van is looking good, I especially like the fact that you are 'customising' it for Departmental use - makes the rivet counters cringe as they cannot make any comments!

Looking forward to your next loco build.

Quite agree about the K - a very neat looking engine - pity that there is only one kit available on the market at present.

regards

Mike

George

I have realy enjoyed both builds, I tried building a 4 wheel coach and 0-6-0 loco in plasticard many years ago. How did you make the rivets please.

As for 7mm drawings, this site lists drawings in the modelling mags http://home.ca.inter.net/~brmna/xrefs.htm Plenty of SR loco drawings listed in both 4mm & 7mm scale eg Terrier 7mm drawing Railway Modeller Dec 81. A decent photocopier will enlarge 4mm to 7mm, even better scan and enlarge.

Keep posting please very interesting and informative

Hello Hayfield, thanks for the information on scale drawings, really think l could build an un-rebuilt bullied pacific (34055 Fighter Pilot) in plasticard with a brass chassis, just need a good drawing?

Regarding the rivets, l use the thinnest plasticard, thin a a sheet of paper, then l cut to shape the get a steel rule, to guide, then punch the rivets in line with a old small screwdriver shaped to a point..

Archived