Styrofoam Baseboards ?

Kallaroonian

Sheffield Insulations which have branches all over the UK under their "Insulation Express" brand name, stock the Dow Styrofoam Floormate-200. The downside is they only sell it by the package. That's 8 sheets of 2500mm by 600mm by 50mm. A package is £98.81 plus £20 shipping. That would be enough for 16 2' by 4' baseboards.

4D models stock pre cut sheets in 1250mm by 600mm in 25mm or 50mm thickness. Trouble is its very expensive that way. £11 for a 25mm sheet and £20 for 50mm thick.

Nick, if you find a stockist for the Knauf Polyfoam ECO please post the location and price. If its cheaper I'll be needing a fair bit.

The only stuff on that page is 6mm or 10mm thick. May have its uses, but not quite the same...

Nick

Not the same as what? Neither you or the OP stated what you wanted to use it for or what thickness you were after! (and I did suggest shopping around...)

I assumed the same as what I use it for - landscape formers. In which case, the thickness is largely irrelevant as you just cut and shape as you wish.

Not the same as what? Neither you or the OP...

Perhaps you haven't noticed the thread title, or the many previous threads that have discussed using Knauf spaceboard for baseboards? The Knauf product referred to in the title is nominally 52.5mm thick and similar products in the 50-100mm range have been used for this purpose.

Nick

Perhaps you haven't noticed the thread title, or the many previous threads that have discussed using Knauf spaceboard for baseboards? The Knauf product referred to in the title is nominally 52.5mm thick and similar products in the 50-100mm range have been used for this purpose.

Nick

Thread title is 'Knauf pink polyfoam 'Space board' insulation boards' - can't see the word 'baseboard'. You're right about not seeing other threads though.

Sheffield Insulations which have branches all over the UK under their "Insulation Express" brand name, stock the Dow Styrofoam Floormate-200. The downside is they only sell it by the package. That's 8 sheets of 2500mm by 600mm by 50mm. A package is £98.81 plus £20 shipping. That would be enough for 16 2' by 4' baseboards.

Styrofoam Floormate is what has been used on Eridge, not for the boards as such but as infill for scenery on the 'outriggers'. This is I think 75mm thiick version.

post-6669-0-96433300-1318852913_thumb.jpg

I was in B&Q in Yeading two days ago and they had Knauf Spaceboard stacked high on two shelves in the builders yard section of the store, which was a bit of a relief after reading some postings.

It might be worth also reading the postings by Kallaroonian and others (me included) in Layout and track design, the thread name is Styrofoam baseboards.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Is the stuff used in Cellotex and similar the same? I have used some in 50mm 60mm and 100mm it comes with aluminium sheet on both sides. You can get it in lots of trade names at builders merchants.

Don

Is the stuff used in Cellotex and similar the same? I have used some in 50mm 60mm and 100mm it comes with aluminium sheet on both sides. You can get it in lots of trade names at builders merchants.

Don

I may be wrong but, from a cursory examination, my impression is that Cellotex and friends are a somewhat softer and less rigid material that gains much of its strength from the external foil layers. The stuff does seem to be widely available, even B&Q usually have plenty of it in large sheets though, even if it was suitable, it wouldn't fit in my car...

Nick

Don

Hi

Celotex is a Polyurethane foam core board, whereas Knauf & Dow Styrofoam are extruded (NOT expanded) polystyrene.

Extruded polystyrene is made from the same base material as expanded polystyrene but is a closed cell material,as is polyurethane.

As with the knauf board there are several different manufacturers of Celotex type board eg Kingspan,Quinn to name but two.

Another possible supplier is a company called Minster,part of the Jewson group.

Hope tgis is of help

Bill

• RMweb Gold

I have Recticil form Morrey's( part of Jewsons) and Ecotherm from Sydenhams. If you used a bit of 60mm as a base and then stuck more on top, stripped the aluminium off and carved to shape I reckon it could be strong enough. My builders used some 100mm over some beams to stand on to get the right height for plastering the ceiling ( fairly short plasterer!). It is prone to surface damage if hit to stabbed with something with a blade but then so is most scenery.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I've looked at some Celotex that I have here. I bagged a lot of of assorted bits and pieces from a skip with the intention of using it for scenic building. IMHO it's too crumbly and soft for baseboard use and it seems to have the ability to warp as it has on one piece of 50mm approx 3ft x 2ft. The pink and blue stuff has a very good 'rigidity' quality.

Regarding the pink stuff (Space Board by Knauf) it really does seem to have become unavailable from the usual sources (apart from the occasional residual B&Q stocks). I've tried the Knauf website and they show it as still current but supplied by B&Q and Wickes, which it isn't any more! Unless anybody knows different!

At least the blue stuff is readily available from Insulation Express http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/basket.asp but is slightly more expensive per sq metre than the pink. The only drawback is that it's only available in 8 sheet packs (2500mm x 600mm) @ around £100 collected plus an added £20 delivery charge if required, so it would pay to find others to 'group buy'. I'm fortunate that I have a small group of local DRAG (S4 Society) members who want some as well, and that there's a branch in Plymouth.

post-6728-0-31516700-1319533950.jpg

I also recommend you search for the other threads containing the word styrofoam.Specifically :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34132-styrofoam-baseboards/page__st__50

I can't recommend this stuff highly enough. I am in the process of building a large layout in my loft in Western Australia. I need something that is lighweight, resistant to moisture (long shot here but you never know), resistant to heat and warping (very important) and readily workable.

The styrofoam meets all of the requirements. I have a thread on the layout build :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/22986-hatfield-part-the-second/page__fromsearch__1

It is overdue an update which should happen fairly soon. I'm not adding anything more to the styrofoam thread but at this point it does have the best pictures of various baord - mine and others.

Just can't help you with supply in the UK. It's ironic though because before there were plenty of suppliers in the UK and seemingly only one here !

Regards

Local builders' merchants could only offer the Celotex or Kingspan fluffy stuff with foil coating. However, I followed the hints from Mickey, Pete and others and widened my search of larger B&Q shops and today found some Spaceboard in the Ashford, Kent branch. They still had 18 sheets left when I left about an hour ago.

Now, all I have to do is build the layout...

Nick

• 2 months later...

Having trawled around various B&Q & Wickes (Notts/Derbys/S Yorks) in early January, I have drawn a complete blank! - all seems to have dispeared now ! - anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of SpaceBoard or similar? Just want to buy 5 or 6 sheets of the 50mm(ish) type.

Archived