Styrofoam Baseboards ?

Kallaroonian

This is very strange. The stuff was £21 for a wrapped package of 4 not that long ago. I'm wondering if the £11.65 price belongs to a different sheet size or if they are packaged in pairs.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks RFS for finding that. I was damned if I could!

I suspect that they sell it packed in tens and probably don't want to be bothered with single sales.

Also the government subsidy has been dropped hence the higher price I would imagine.

The stuff was £21 for a wrapped package of 4 not that long ago.

I saw them at less than a fiver at Focus DIY a while back. Didn't buy any as I wasn't ready to build a layout at the time and thought I'd buy later. That was about a month before Focus shut down. Doh!

• RMweb Gold

Cost wise it looks that this http://www.insulatio...Boards.htm#nogo works out at a slightly cheaper cost over the 'new price' pink stuff. That works out at £11.66 per sq m (pink) and £10.52 per sq m (blue, including £20 delivery) for the 50mm thick stuff, if I've done the maths right!

The sizes are 1200mm x 500mm (pink) and 2500 x 600mm (blue)

The only problem with the blue stuff is the minimum order is a pack of eight @ £106.30 plus £20 delivery. I'm buying one or maybe a couple of packs soon, as we need a load for Balcombe and I need some for other projects and some DRAG people want some sheets, so it would probably best to go into it with others to share the cost.

I have been using the Celltex type yellow foam for another (non railway) related project. The one I have used has the silver foil on either side which peels off reasonable easily once started but leaves a rough surface. Its great for scenic work making hills etc as it sands reasonable easily to make contours but make sure you wear a dust mask and hoover frequently.

Its not as rigid as the pink or blue foams so I wouldn't use it for baseboards. The foil would need to be removed because of potential electrical short circuits.

If you can still get it at Wickes then according to the website its only in their 'Extra' stores and they only have 16 of those in the country!

http://www.localstor...2/wickes-extra/

The yellow wall insulation warps over distance, we have a sheet in the club we used bits of to bulk up under our layers of Space Board to make sure we dont waste the good stuff!

edit: My link copy failed the first time..

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - there's an Extra store in Taunton. I can see stocks being wiped out on the weekend of the RMweb members day there....!

Bit late for me - I need the stuff to build a module for the Taunton party... (and no , I couldn't manage to make one overnight...)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looked at both Insulation Express and panelsystems. The minimum order from either is over £100 and the latter's 50mm craftfoam comes out at almost 3 times the cost per m2

For baseboards the min thickness to use is 50mm.

Insulation Express has FloorMate in 50 X 600 X 2500 in an 8 pack for £130.31 (VAT & delivered) (12 m2) that works out to £10.86/m2

PanelSystems Craft foam in 50 X 600 X 1200 in a pack of 6 for £128.40 (VAT & delivered) (4.32m2) working out to £29.72/m2

From the user name "craftfoam" and the fact that he signed up and posted on the same day and hasn't been heard of since, this looks like a thinly-veiled advert to me.

Nick

I wondered that as well. I see the post has been nuked.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It may be seasonal, but I spotted stock in my local Wickes today @ £7.69.

That's useful Mike. It does seem to be back but at a higher price than last year (Government subsidy has gone). http://www.wickes.co...mm/invt/161280/

According to my arithmatic it is cheaper from http://www.insulatio...tion-Boards.htm but you do have to buy it in larger sheet packs. Not so convenient if you only want a few.

I've just bought a few boards of 50mm Celotex from Jewson's in Bideford, North Devon, to do an insulation job on a flat roof.

It's exactly the same the same stuff as Knauf/ Kingspan etc, the only noticible difference is that Celotex/ Kingspan is yellow in colour.

The properties are just the same, it cuts easily, is very lightweight & you can get it in thicknesses between 25 to 200mm.

It's not expensive, & from what I could see, there was plenty of different sizes & thicknesses in stock.

Hope this helps with the members experiencing difficulty in sourcing.

Cheers

Rob

Archived