Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

If you like cars Grimley, this was the best I have driven so far. Looked a bit chavvy in white, but I could forgive anything when it sounded like this...

post-6950-0-80075500-1317298686_thumb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLydZohq67M

If you like fast loud good sounding exotic cars you should try a customised twin turbo 1000awdhp audi r8 or a custom twin turbo re mapped lamborghini gallardo 1000+awdhp :D

I have driven both of those cars in the last 12 months, albeit in standard form. The R8 Spyder had one of the worst rides I have experienced. Rock hard and felt every bump in the road. The Gallardo was a little better although they share the same floor pan. Supercars are fun although even I was happy to hand back the keys to a Ferrrari 430 Spyder after 200 miles and get back into my comfy armchair seats. I really must be getting old....

Been pottering with ET today and building the corner board. Somehow it never looked like it was going to fit as the radii didn't seem to match up with both sets of 90 degree tracks. Martin, I should have known better. Templot was correct and my spacial awareness was miles out. Hopefully tomorrow the carpentry for the board will be completed and I'll start on building the next double junction.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7

Gordon, completly off topic, but the best ride I ever had was in a Sierra Sapphire cosworth, tuned to 500bhp. I love the things. Have one myself. Super cars are fun and look amazing, but unless you have a private race track, you can't experience their full potential. A 'sports saloon' such as the Cosworth, the M3 etc suits Britains horrible roads much better

Edited by Marcyg

Can only agree Mark. The cars I have owned over the years may give you some clues to my other vice...

1071 Cooper S, 1275 Cooper S, Lotus Cortina, Impreza Turbo, Evo 6, M3 and few less exciting to drive. Tried to wangle a Lotus Carlton once as a company car, but my Chairman turned it down as 'too much like a boy racer'.

Yup, got it in one...

• Like 2

OK, back to railways...

The corner board proved to a bit more of a challenge and eventually I went for a free standing support that is not joined to the adjacent frames. The combination of the BB structure and numerous angles to link all three boards was really testing and the easy solution was to leave it disconnected and then join the track bed. Thankfully that seems to have worked and the cork track bed is now in place. This corner will have another double junction, although it should be easier to build as a switched crossing with a 1:11 crossing angle.

It amazes me that the start of the incline is just below the right hand edge of the right hand Velux window and from here it will climb right around the room and finish bottom left of the picture. The open frame of the stairwell board will have the approach to ET terminus which will sweep round and occupy the space between the bullastrade and the loop line at the back. The total run between these points is 42' which could allow ET terminus to be 128mm higher than the loops at a 1:100 gradient. My gut feel is that 128mm may be too much as that would make the retaining walls 32' high.

Can anyone provide some insight as to an acceptable height for a retaining wall? There is a pic of the lines at Roade in the back of 'Bridges for Modellers' that looks considerably more than 32', but I'm guessing they were the exception.

post-6950-0-88366900-1351252625_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

32 feet is only a bit over twice the Loading Gauge height (on the more grown up railways such as the GWR and GNR) and a Google search strangely led me to here (and I really mean here :O ) http://www.rmweb.co....g-wall-in-uk/ when I was looking for info about the very high wall at High Wycombe

Edited by The Stationmaster

OK, back to railways...

The corner board proved to a bit more of a challenge and eventually I went for a free standing support that is not joined to the adjacent frames. The combination of the BB structure and numerous angles to link all three boards was really testing and the easy solution was to leave it disconnected and then join the track bed. Thankfully that seems to have worked and the cork track bed is now in place. This corner will have another double junction, although it should be easier to build as a switched crossing with a 1:11 crossing angle.

It amazes me that the start of the incline is just below the right hand edge of the right hand Velux window and from here it will climb right around the room and finish bottom left of the picture. The open frame of the stairwell board will have the approach to ET terminus which will sweep round and occupy the space between the bullastrade and the loop line at the back. The total run between these points is 42' which could allow ET terminus to be 128mm higher than the loops at a 1:100 gradient. My gut feel is that 128mm may be too much as that would make the retaining walls 32' high.

Can anyone provide some insight as to an acceptable height for a retaining wall? There is a pic of the lines at Roade in the back of 'Bridges for Modellers' that looks considerably more than 32', but I'm guessing they were the exception.

post-6950-0-88366900-1351252625_thumb.jpg

Gordon;

There's photos in reference books I have that were taken near King Edward Junction (Gateshead) and Laisterdyke (Bradford) where there are signifigant single face (not benched) retaining walls. 32' would be fine, so long as you don't need the wall to be pure vertical (both the examples I cite have a slight back into the cut).

Regards

Scott

• Like 2

Thanks Mike, that will teach me to search first....Funnily enough I recall reading that thread, so perhaps it's not such an issue. The key for me is what it looks like. Sometimes you can just see what looks right, even though there may well be a prototype to support something higher. This is quite critical as it will determine the actual gradient and the last thing I want to do is lay 42' of inclined track and then find I don't like the height of the wall.

Weird, I know, but I've got to determine the top and then start from the bottom, a long way away...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike, that will teach me to search first....Funnily enough I recall reading that thread, so perhaps it's not such an issue. The key for me is what it looks like. Sometimes you can just see what looks right, even though there may well be a prototype to support something higher. This is quite critical as it will determine the actual gradient and the last thing I want to do is lay 42' of inclined track and then find I don't like the height of the wall.

Weird, I know, but I've got to determine the top and then start from the bottom, a long way away...

Not weird at all, Gordon. I call it foresight and good planning. You've paid such attention to detail and don't want to feel let down if you get this "wrong". Having said that, what IS wrong? As long as your locos and stock have no problem with the incline does it really matter if you are a few mm out - unless you are a total stickler to prototype!

Excellent work btw. You are going to be bamboozled "watching the trains go by" once the layout is completed. Must say, I'd love to come and "have a play"!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a bit of a mock-up with cardboard etc Gordon - at least to see how the vertical difference appears if nothing else?

• Like 1

Now you really are making me feel old....The Lotus was a '64 Mark 1 and I bought it in '68 for the grand total of £440. Sadly I had to sell it in '70 to get married...

The things we do for love. :)

Saw a mk2 lotus (or at least painted like one) the other day. White with a green stripe.

Back on topic. Great news on the board front Gordon!

No worries Pete. Cars were a huge part of my life and the 1600E in Aubergine with the satin Rostyle wheels was a real head turner, as was the 3.0L Capri in black with the JPS paint job. Sadly both of these fell into the fur coat, no knickers category when compared to the MK1 LC... :)

You can rest easy on the Acorn front. These were removed for an early version of ET and are now held in place with screw studding. If they do get in the way or can't be hidden, they can be removed again although I've just had a thought. They could be painted up and become mini 'gherkins'....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the Mark 2 Twincam had A-frame suspension shared with the 1600E? My mate wrote his Saluki-bronze version off after 6 weeks - and a more capable driver you couldn't meet. Sober, familiar roads, no ice, yet it ended up in the opposite ditch on its roof. No-one hurt. "New Cortina is more Cortina"? Not necessarily!

Ah, yes. MacPherson Struts? The 2 Lotus was set up differently than the E but it still wasn't as nice for handling as the 1.

You have to look at them contextually - the E was a pretty good road car for the time.

Funnily enough I had some good times in a Corsair 2000E - but really it was rather doggish in comparo....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

As was the 3.0L Capri in black with the JPS paint job.

If I can find the photograph I will send it onto you, and gladly; at a Lotus meet about a decade ago, my father put his JPS liveried Esprit Mk3 next to a Capri in a similar livery, with the superb golden lining out and JPS monikers. On the other side was an Elite I think, in the same livery. Across the way was another Esprit in JPS livery, but it was an anniversary (?) livery of some form and had much wider lining out than ours has.

Of course you can't put the branding on these cars anymore, but I have always found the golden and black livery of the JPS specials to be rather beautiful in their own way, despite the message they must put across!

• Like 1