Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R .

Graham_Muz

Lets not forget that the item of rolling stock in question has been commissioned by Hornby Mag - P4 isn't exactly it's target market ;)

Well they did say the brakes are there for EM/P4 modellers over 00 so... :P

Obviously I realise I live on the extreme detailing edge for stock but its weird being able to do a quick google and spot the wheels are the wrong size, the brake blocks are miles off etc.. Hopefully correcting such things if possible will help the narrow gauge modellers out there in any case with a slightly more accurate creation ;).

post-243-056580900 1286817163_thumb.jpg

I have to say that those 'brake shoes' look pretty ridiculous - oddly stretched vertically and way offline for P4 wheels, let alone OO ones.

If the wheels fitted are 12mm. dia. then it'll be a *od to fit the correct 14mm. ones - the axleguards must have been stretched downwards by 1mm. if the buffer height is correct.

Shame - but I think that I'll stick with the STOVE that I cobbled together from an old Hornby Dublo one, (HERESY - pass the smelling salts)!

This had the tinplate sides replaced with ones cut-and-shut from Airfix Stanier bogie coach brake ends. It has a replacement chassis from brass channel and whitemetal castings, with correct 14mm. wheels.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Shame - but I think that I'll stick with the STOVE that I cobbled together from an old Hornby Dublo one, (HERESY - pass the smelling salts)!

This had the tinplate sides replaced with ones cut-and-shut from Airfix Stanier bogie coach brake ends. It has a replacement chassis from brass channel and whitemetal castings, with correct 14mm. wheels.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

So is the only tinplate bit left the roof then :D

Afternoon all,

Thanks for all the comments about our Stove R. We are taking into consideration the length of the running board and wheel diameter and discussing making changes to the tooling - not as simple as it might seem at this stage in the project. Having discovered that I do still have a login on RMweb I will endeavour to keep you all posted on progress up to the model's planned release in November.

Best regards,

Mike Wild, Editor, Hornby Magazine

So is the only tinplate bit left the roof then :D

I think the roof might have been plastic.....

Many years ago, when Dibber25 was but a young subbie on Model Railway Constructor, said journal featured an article (by Alan Williams, IIRC) on upgrading the Hornby-Dublo Stove R and the Triang SR Bogie Luggage Van into vaguely presentable models. My recollection was that not much remained of the originals.

There were a couple of boxed H-D Stoves on a second-hand stall at Folkestone show- as I'd just had a stressful morning, I thought it best not to look at the price.

• RMweb Gold

I think the roof might have been plastic.....

Many years ago, when Dibber25 was but a young subbie on Model Railway Constructor, said journal featured an article (by Alan Williams, IIRC) on upgrading the Hornby-Dublo Stove R and the Triang SR Bogie Luggage Van into vaguely presentable models. My recollection was that not much remained of the originals.

There were a couple of boxed H-D Stoves on a second-hand stall at Folkestone show- as I'd just had a stressful morning, I thought it best not to look at the price.

The roof was plastic - last one of mine went for 45 quid, I too wonder what they fetch now?

Guest Max Stafford

Most P4 modellers would in all probability replace the W-irons, suspension and brake assemblies anyway. I myself would bodge the brake gear to suit my own needs, it shouldn't be too hard.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst you are checking, you might look at the corridor connection, it doesn't look very LMS to me. Here is a picture I took at the Bluebell Railway for the kit I had to cancel. I am not certain that the lever is not a more recent addition, but it shows how knobbly it should be.

Roger

post-6757-089369700 1286909869_thumb.jpg

Whilst you are checking, you might look at the corridor connection, it doesn't look very LMS to me. Here is a picture I took at the Bluebell Railway for the kit I had to cancel. I am not certain that the lever is not a more recent addition, but it shows how knobbly it should be.

Roger

The lever for locking the two connectors together would be original, these gangways weren't pressed together like the Pullman type and needed locking together in use.

That picture also shows what LMS buffers should look like as fitted to these when new, the bulbous base isn't really there on the model. The corridor connectors may be a bit long due to overlength buffers actually, the shape is always a bit hard to do really, look at the mess with the Hawksworth suspended gangways..

Both diagrams illustrated in David Jenkinson's LMS coaches book have the stepboard as Larry mentions.

That book also mentions that some weren't build with the beading which would have been better really as by the blue period it had rusted off most of them with it anyway. An ok detailing project putting it back on compared to taking it off.

If its already tooled changing the wheel diameter is an issue as you'll have to lose the extra height that will have been put into the axlebox position. Thanks for taking the comments on board though Mike.

If by some fettling you mean complete replacement of everything below the solebars then yes a little ;).

Lucky then that the majority of modellers don't model to such finescale standards else this release really would be a bummer unsure.gif....

Wait till the ex-purts get there hands on that bodyshell wink.gif

Roger

The only reason it's more knobbly Roger, is because in the preservation shot, the vehicle is equipped with a BR (British Standard) adapter gangway and additional associated clips (specifically for connecting to "Pullman" type gangway faceplates and/or BS Gangways, whereas the model appears to be equipped with the equally correct British Standard Gangway only.

I've just received my order form, will be sending it back with various ticks, but before I do, please can anyone suggest how many of these would be included in a 'typical' train (is there such a thing?) for BR Maroon and BR Blue periods - I assume they would be mixed in with GUVs, BGs, CCTs etc?

I've just received my order form, will be sending it back with various ticks, but before I do, please can anyone suggest how many of these would be included in a 'typical' train (is there such a thing?) for BR Maroon and BR Blue periods - I assume they would be mixed in with GUVs, BGs, CCTs etc?

I can't remember seeing more than one in a 'typical' van train- they always seemed to be heavily outnumbered by ex-SR, LMS and LNER 4 wheel vans, LMS, LNER and BR full brakes, BR CCTs and GUVs, at least on the WR when I used to watch such trains pass from the late 1960s onwards. Best have a look at some of the sites where people have posted shots of parcels trains of the period you're trying to model:-

40_Parcels_MAY-71

is a start for an early '70s van train. This one's on the WCML, but similar formations would be seen almost countrywide.

Replacing below the solebars is fine by me...

Now if someone wants to etch up the gubbins for this :lol: :lol: :lol:

In P4 a bit of bashing and rehashing is something you get used to, this appears a basically sound model which with the right work will be a corker - if you want to do that sort of thing. As it is it looks decent and the fulfilment of a project which aimed to address a gap in the market; something it has done methinks B)

If I remember rightly, they might have been found in fitted milk trains to provide guards accomodation. There was a variant without duckets belonging to the TPO fleet.

Pretty certain I've seen photos of them on the milk train that used to work from Shropshire to Marylebone- probably in a Model Rail article a while back.

The D1796 and D2000 6-wheel corridor full brakes were something of a minefield when it comes to detail. In case it is of interest, they were one of the very first Stanier carraige diagrams and as with many diagrams they showed detail the production vans never carried.These included scissor gangways, roof rainstrips and rounded duckets whereas they all carried suspended gangways, plain roofs and shamferred duckets. In fact the earliest drawing gives the impression the vans were originally intended to be built by outside contractors to an 'all-steel' design of the 1920s.

I have a photo of 32977 with shell vents and 32996 with torpedo vents, both from Lot 1091 built in 1938, however, 32977 might have had its shell vents replaced seeing as the photo in my collection was taken post 1956. Regulator boxes differed too. 32946 in full panelled LMS livery had the later box with plain cover so one can presume they were built with this type of box. By BR days some vans had the 'Period I' style regulator box with a "X" on the cover. Regarding numbering, the first batch emerged before the renumering scheme of 1933 and carried 4-digit numbers for a short time. All the D1796 vans had torpedo vents from new.

Wise words as ever Coach.

How does this beastie look to your trained eye please?

I know its not easy just looking at a picture; however, it would be of interest B)

Hi Iak, In my opinion the model looks fine apart from the footboard, which is too short but I believe is being looked at. It's one I'm buying thats for sure, a snip at the price.

Thanks Coach

That was one thing I has picked up on but was nae sure about the rest.

B)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Iak, In my opinion the model looks fine apart from the footboard, which is too short but I believe is being looked at. It's one I'm buying thats for sure, a snip at the price.

Well, that's good enough for me.

My order will be in the post today :)

• RMweb Gold

I bow to those who obviously have greater knowledge. I just feel that for a Rolls Royce price the customers should expect a Rolls Royce Model.

Roger

I think that is a very fair point - compared with the Hornby Hawksworths (ok, they are a 'mass market' model produced in far greater numbers) a price difference of a fiver does seem difficult to support if all the shortcomings highighted in this thread are going to be present.

I must admit it doesn't actually worry me and my order went off yesterday anyway thus confirming my original support for the project. What matters to me is that it correctly 'captures' the vehicle at normal viewing distance on a layout and it seems, albeit unpainted, to do that. Mind you a 3ft6in diameter wheel apparently turning into one of 3 foot diameter strikes me as a bit odd :unsure:

My real concern, notwithstanding a cheque already in the post, is how the liveries are going to turn out and i'm hoping that Hornby Mag/Mike Wild will keep Dapol on the straight & narrow to avoid the sort of silly error which occurred with the Fruit D?

• RMweb Gold

...a Rolls Royce price ...

Roger

I think you have to take it in the context of being a limited edition special commission, so it was never going to be equivilantly priced to a mass market Hornby Hawksworth, let alone Bachmann Mk1.

As to whether it is value for money, I certainly couldn't put together a brass kit to the same standard for the same money. If I could have put together a plastic kit to produce something of equal / better quality is now a moot point, but I look forward to your other 6w offering to add to the collection once it arrives).

I certainly think it is good enough to follow up on my expression of interest with a firm order.

• RMweb Premium

I think you have to take it in the context of being a limited edition special commission, so it was never going to be equivilantly priced to a mass market Hornby Hawksworth, let alone Bachmann Mk1.

I don't think this actually a limited edition though is it? Special commission yes.

In terms of price I think the nearest comparison would be something like a Hornby Maunsell Van C, which lists at around 21 quid.

The underfloor arrangement was always going to be tricky with a 3 axle chassis, presumably the arrangement presented was the least compromised, assuming this model is still designed to go round 2nd. radius curves.

Archived