Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R .

Graham_Muz

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the LMS livery version of the Stove R was available for sale at Warley please?

Ian

Both early (maroon ends) and late (black ends)

I bought an early (HM001) it looks very good apart from the aforementioned brake blocks being miles off the wheels!

Let's see whether it stays on the track!

Keith

Both early (maroon ends) and late (black ends)

I bought an early (HM001) it looks very good apart from the aforementioned brake blocks being miles off the wheels!

Let's see whether it stays on the track!

Keith

Hi

Thanks for that, I'll have to phone Hornby then, I enquired week last wednesday where the one I ordered by mail order was only to be told there were none available for about 8 weeks, strage they were on sale at Warley a couple of days later!!!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I bought an early maroon and swapped to 14mm wheels...Result..useless on code 75 track despite extra weight. The design would have been better having an articulated centre bogie and fixed outers (IMHO). I have swapped back to 12mm wheels and the only way it stays on the track is at the end of a train. It is currently in the sidings with 'cond' painted on the side awaiting frame and wheel removal to sit on the ground in my shed as a cabin (like the one at Didcot). This is one of the most disappointing models I have ever bought which is a shame because above the frame it looks OK but running wise on my code 75 (it is the only van/coach/wagon that derails) it struggles to stay on the track....methinks a kit version will replace this one.

Hi

Thanks for that, I'll have to phone Hornby then, I enquired week last wednesday where the one I ordered by mail order was only to be told there were none available for about 8 weeks, strage they were on sale at Warley a couple of days later!!!

Ian

Ian, You'll do better by phoning Ian Allan rather than Hornby! (Hornby Mag is an Ian Allan publication, which just adds emphasis to the general public's impression that model railway items are 'all Hornbys') :no:

But you were probably just keeping it short when you said you'd contact Hornby!

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Ian

I couldn't find it on the Ian Allan website (despite the magazine advert saying so) and also I have been told by the staff that it will not be available in the Birmingham Ian Allan shop (again despite the advert!).

I e-mailed Ian Allan and they said to ring them to order one but I noticed they were having a stand at Warley and bought mine there.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Ian, You'll do better by phoning Ian Allan rather than Hornby! (Hornby Mag is an Ian Allan publication, which just adds emphasis to the general public's impression that model railway items are 'all Hornbys') :no:

But you were probably just keeping it short when you said you'd contact Hornby!

Richard

The box could confuse people in thinking it could be from "Hornby" from the lettering etc. although it is made in China (for Dapol) for Ian Allan's "Hornby Magazine" which of course must have had permission to use the name in the first place!

(All part of the confusing history of British model railway companies)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I have kept the original wheels on mine and immobilsed the outer axels so that they no longer swivel. The centre axel is unmodified. They run fine now on my code 75 track on Upper Benllech. They would not stay on the track as supplied though.

HTH,

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Just tried the one I bought at Warley and apart from uncoupling a couple of times to start with it runs fine.

My track is Peco code 75 and I tried it through the curve of a double slip, trailing and facing 3' radius points and diamonds, plus 4 baseboard joints.

Left it running continuously for 10 mins or so and after the couple of uncouplings to start with (loco a bit jerky on dirty track due to lack of use) and it didn't falter.

Not sure the arrangement Dapol came up with to traverse small radius curves is the most elegant, I can see that it could prove a problem with some track formations and the low coupler height doesn't help. i would have prefered the outer wheels to swivel with the couplings and the inner axle to be fixed.

Keith

I think you might be able to get away with fixing the outer axles if you haven't got really tight curves. I just finished building the underframe for a Chivers 6 wheel fish van. I was going to swivel the end axles but then realized this vehicle has a reinforcing bar at the bottom of the W irons. The Outer W irons are the Bill Bedford sprung examples and fixed. The center axle is allowed to slide laterally. Before adding the detail I got my friend to test the rigid version on his layout (A5 and Peco small points) and he gave the thumbs up. I can't say whether the springing has any effect.

Not the Stove R but this may help:

P1010057.jpg

P1010058.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of my Stove R after mod with Comet W irons:

P1010059.jpg

P1010060.jpg

John

• 1 year later...

Hi Everybody,  Just thougt I would have my stir although I have no intention of buying any more Dapol models without  a very serious check beforehand.

Seriously caught out by their 7mm wagons which make this Stove R and the Fruit D  look brilliant by comparison in spite of their multitude of serious

errors. That's the last time they catch me out without the option for a full refund.   Methinks some statements made earlier need  correcting. 

The original Hornby Dublo model did NOT  have "Tinplate" brakeshoes and they were NOT in line with the wheel treads.  They were actually even worse

( is that possible ! ) than the Dapol van  being huge great lumps, moulded in line with the W Irons,   I should know because it was my article in the Constructer 

nearly 50 years ago, referred to in an early post, that showed  my modification to the HD model.  I have checked the Diagrams in Vol 3 of  Bob Essery's

"LMS Coaches"  and they show  8' 6" over body panels. Over the  the duckets on the first batch was 9'  and later 8' 11 1/16" . The width over gutters was

8' 8.5" and 8' 7.375"  respectively.  From what has been written earlier I assume these dimensions are about 2mm too large on the Dapol model which is no

surprise as most of their models suffer the same fault. This was derived from the overwidth HD/Wrenn  models which Dapol seem to perpetuate continually.

I suspect that the roof of this van, if it is 2mm overwidth may well be too high to keep the same general profile. It does appear to be so in the photos but I

have not got one to measure. Top of gutter to top of roof should be about  7mm. Can someone check this out.??

The HD model did have "3ft'" wheels (they never had any other size I don't think), and mine seemed to run fairly happily round 15" radius curves before I got

at it.   I left the middle wheels fixed on mine and cut the flanges off just above rail level to make it a 4 wheeler, It is hardly noticeable. I did fit 14mm Romfords

which at the time were the only decent wheels available.  The middle set came off a Kitmaster coach from the scrap box. I did little to the body apart from

toning the shine down and fitting a ducket.   I wonder if Dapol thought the 3' HD wheels were correct, they own the tooling I assume.

Another contributor suggests fitting  ABS brakeshoes Ref F.705 but a new, more accurate alternative has recent;ly become available  Ref F.738 for 3' 7"

wheels. 

As has been suggested the Maroon finish in no way matches other current RTR models and the Crimson  is a nearer  match.  If they could get the colour

right, but ONLY if,  they could do the original fully panelled livery which would look incredible if nicely rendered. I could be suckered into one of those even

if the chassis needs a complete rehash/replacement.

It would be very interesting to know just how much technical input was provided by  the Hornby Magazine and if they had any option to change the design

or modify it.  Things like the ventilators which look really odd and the guards door hinges should never have occurred, The swinging outer axles which

were technically flawed. should have been picked up early and a simple 3 point compensation system could have been substituted which would have helped

with such a long wheelbase model. It is a great shame this underframe is so poor with its 3' dia wheels etc etc etc as it is basically the same as that on the

"Insulated Milk Van"  and the wonderfully colourful "Palethorpes Sausage van"  with a few bits left off. These  appear to be separate mouldings anyway since

they fall off!. These would replace the old and very dated Hornby models with their cumbersome underframes.  I wonder if Hornby would have been happy

about this since their models have a habit of reappearing every few years !!!  It may well be that Dapol were prepared to accept this commission on the

basis that someone else would guarantee them a return and pay for the tooling.  They could then reuse it on the other van bodies which are much

simpler and cheaper to tool up. giving them a much bigger mark up than if they had done the models themselves.  Alas for them, they may have to spend

quite a lot of money on the chassis tooling to get it right next time unless they are prepared to ignore another shower of flak.

I am just hoping some of the other commissioned models do not fall foul of Dapols design department as I am looking forward to the O2 and

"Gate stock" from  Kernow but am hanging onto my money this time just in case!!         Regards  Adrianbs

Archived