Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

eh? some type of optical illusion?

and they are basing it on preserved images (or should that be imagination) There are enough photographs of the prototype around - why non get it right.

Kenton you are quite right...

Having referred Hattons to some pictures that made the issue quite clear-esp the images of D9500- I have not yet recieved a reply.

I think that they are making a big mistake.

Hattons now have pictures of the finished 14's on their website under the Heljan diesel section http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/prodlist.aspx?ManID=27&PrTyID=1&ScID=1

Mmmmmm, look at those lifting eyes on the bonnet tops...... B)

Not for me though, nice as they look I just can't justify stretching to over ??100 for what looks like a large shunter to many eyes.

I am having enough trouble at present choosing which Bachmann 47 to buy, what with the recent rash of L/E's in the old InterCity colours on the horizon.

Not for me though, nice as they look I just can't justify stretching to over ??100 for what looks like a large shunter to many eyes.

It's not a shunter though. It's a Type 1 mainline diesel locomotive. When you consider the Class 15 is going to be ??89, it's not THAT expensive. I'm looking forward to this loco immensley.

• RMweb Gold

Nice pics, although not keen on the glaring pickups.

Just needs a little toning down/weathering to hide those.

I only ordered one for industrial use which was the green one.

Having now seen them I just canelled the order and gone for the NCB one instead with the chevrons on the buffer beam.

For some reason, I think it looks better for an industrial engine, will just respray the body then into my chosen private colours.

I like the TOPS blue version too, would look good in my 70's era.

Pity they did not run then in that livery...but then, maybe in my world.....lol

Yes those pickups............

Anyone noticed that the green one has a wiper that is in front of the wheel and scratched the paint off for about 180 degrees! Does not look like it has been run much, and I must say I find this a little dissapointing for a promotional photo, presumably to be used in the press releases. I hope the quality control is better than the Claytons.

The thing that I really do not like is the hole in the buffer beam for the couplings, that will take some filling and be especially difficult on the NCB one with chevrons.

The question is, for me and another potential purchaser, will it be convertable to P4? I'll wait and see before comiting.

Cheers tony

The question is Flo, what does it look like to *your* eyes? To my eyes, it looks like a loco I saw nearly every day for the first few months of my adult railway interest, one that might never be available again RTR. I cant personally put a price on that

Oh , and to save me repeating myself, there's this

• RMweb Gold

The question is Flo, what does it look like to *your* eyes? To my eyes, it looks like a loco I saw nearly every day for the first few months of my adult railway interest, one that might never be available again RTR. I cant personally put a price on that

I too think it has very definitely captured the look of a D95XX - as soon as I saw from an earlier pic that they had got the subtle rake back of the bonnet ends I decided to order one because that is, I reckon, a very important part of getting the look right.

As for 'value for money' that is a rather undefinable quantity I think - you can't do it on something as daft as a count of the wheels and how do amateurs know the costings of the intricacies of toolmaking or the time labour value of fitting detail parts etc? In the end it comes down to the very simple 'yes I want it' (or 'no I don't') and if I do want it 'can I afford to pay what I consider a reasonable price for it?' You makes your choice and you pays your money to paraphrase an old saying.

The question is Flo, what does it look like to *your* eyes?

To *my* eyes it looks like a rather nice dilemma!

I do have 6 Warships, 2 Westerns & 2 Hymeks, so a Teddy Bear would not be too out of place, but then in real life the TB's were never really part of the WR's hydraulic family were they?.......more like a strange uncle who turned up and lurked in the corner :huh:

A quick count reveals 21 Heljan locos in the collection, so they are obviously making stuff I want to buy.....usually I can make a quick decision on purchases but this one has been preying on my mind since it was announced, the recent bother with the Claytons has not helped either to be honest but that is another story!

B) If I have any money left at the end of January I may have another think about this if Hattons have any left in stock.......Kestrel can still be had new so I think I may be in with a chance?

• RMweb Gold

To *my* eyes it looks like a rather nice dilemma!

I do have 6 Warships, 2 Westerns & 2 Hymeks, so a Teddy Bear would not be too out of place, but then in real life the TB's were never really part of the WR's hydraulic family were they?.......more like a strange uncle who turned up and lurked in the corner :huh:

'course they were part of the family - they were just as good at failing as some of the others :( .

They did look a bit out of place in some settings but in others they fitted in nicely as a sort of pannier/prairie tank replacement on trip working completing the family of Swindon diesels. But of course no justifocation for them if your railway represents the era when the work they were built for had vanished...

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look at the pics on ehattons. Looks a nice model, but my attention is drawn to the headcode boxes, specifically the light behind them. It looks very similar to that in the Clayton, which is truly awful. Lets hope it they're toned it down since.

Guest no1stpaddy

While the locos do look good in the pictures, I have got to say the price is just to much. Its smaller than a Class 20/25 but the price is marked at nearly 3 times as much. Whilst Hattons and for that matter Kernow should be congratulated for taking the leep into sponsoring the Class 14, 22 and 41, I just can not see the justification for the high prices.

Do I think the high prices will mean extra details compared to standard locos, no not at all. In fact if you are to look at any loco that has hit the mark it would be Murphys highly impresive Class 141, which has a RRP of ??90, ??25 cheaper than the class 14 and worth every penny.

Guest Max Stafford

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/5400-model-pricing/page__st__50

Please check post No. 57.

Can we have your detailed costing analysis then please? You've clearly identified an issue of overpricing and profiteering here. We need to see the evidence of the filthy capitalist exploitation being perpetrated with the model.

Thanks.

Dave.

Guest no1stpaddy

http://www.rmweb.co....ng/page__st__50

Please check post No. 57.

Can we have your detailed costing analysis then please? You've clearly identified an issue of overpricing and profiteering here. We need to see the evidence of the filthy capitalist exploitation being perpetrated with the model.

Thanks.

Dave.

Dave

My post was based on my personal view, which I believe forums are all about and structured on prices that you can clearly see in the adverts in all Model Mags or online.

The new class 15 is ??89!!

If you read this thread then you will see I am not the only one who feels the price is high.

Thanks for your comments gents, the price is what it is and it's for each of us to decide whether or not to buy. The reasons have been previously discussed, at length, and as they were recently with City of Truro and countless other limited editions before that. So let's not get into that familiar spiral of endless gainsaying, please.

Cheers.

Dave

My post was based on my personal view, which I believe forums are all about and structured on prices that you can clearly see in the adverts in all Model Mags or online.

The new class 15 is ??89!!

If you read this thread then you will see I am not the only one who feels the price is high.

Face it - we live in a capitalist society!

Hattons and Heljan are in business to sell models and presumably know their market.

They have taken a business decision that there are enough customers around who want a Class 14 and are prepared to pay the asking price.

If they are wrong, then they'll have to lower the price to get rid of the surplus stock - Hattons are not unknown for doing this.

If they are right, however, those who choose not to purchase or who wait for the price to go down will have to do without the model - it's as simple as that.

This isn't a new phenomenon - way back in the 1960s highly desirable Far East handbuilt brass models were being imported which most of us had to do without as we couldn't afford them.

The fact that the high-end models of today use the same production methods as mainstream models doesn't alter the facts.

The Class 14, pilot scheme Warship, City of Truro, Beattie 2-4-0T, etc. are all limited production models commissioned by others than the manufacturer, and as such are a financial gamble.

As in all other areas of life, just because we can't afford things doesn't entitle us to suggest that they shouldn't be marketed.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 6