Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

Now the Heljan effort has arrived, there's no doubt that the magazines will trot out the usual "all withdrawn April/May 1969 and either scrapped or sold"

During the demise of the "nine-fivers" (no one in South Wales called them enything else in those days) I made some notes from my, and my friend's sightings.

At the time I was a pupil at Cantonian High School, Cardiff adjacent to the Ninian Park - Radyr (then) freight line, and despite the locos having been officially withdrawn, those stored at Canton were in almost daily use throughout 1969, passing my school just after 11.00am Mon-Fri on the Long Dyke/Newtown - Radyr trip. When one was unavailable the rostered Cl.08 would be pressed into use. The train would often load to 50slu.

These are my sightings.............

B.R. Swindon (later TOPS Class 14) 650 h.p. 0-6-0DH

Disposition / Use and Disposal of locomotives in the South Wales area post ????? withdrawl.

By July, 1968 the following were still in service in South Wales;

Ebbw Jct. ????? D9535 (under repair)

Canton ????? D9500/08/09/18/30 and D9514 (under repair)

Barry- D9518

During October, 1968 the following were withdrawn ????? D9508/09/17/19/30 with D9526 placed in store.

This left eleven locos in service, all in S. Wales, namely ????? D9500/02/14/18/21/24/27/35/36/38/55.

On 30/11/1968 D9526 was reported withdrawn.

The date the remainder with withdrawn from capital stock varies between 26/04/69 and 03/05/69, possibly due to actual dates and/or ???period ending?????

D9500

???stored??? at Worcester shed late December, 1966 until 18/01/67 when reinstated to Bristol Bath Rd. 82A. Transferred to Canton 86A May, 1967.

Stored at Canton 86A 14/04/69, officially withdrawn 03/05/69 but still in use daily off Canton 86A Sept. 1969, working trips between Long Dyke / Newtown and Radyr.

Reported sold Nov. 1969 to NCB Ashington.

D9505

???stored??? at Worcester shed late December, 1966, Transferred to 50B Hull Daireycoates, 29/12/66 and moved from Worcester 18/01/67 (Recorded as withdrawn at 50B 09/01/67and/or more likely 01/04/68) but reported working the Cardiff-Marshfield milk turn 23/07/68. Eventually sold to APCM Earles Works, Hope, Derbys. Sept. 1968 together with D95xx for ??4,000 each. Later sold on to the Hunslet Engine Co. Leeds, refurbished and both exported to Belgium.

D9509

???stored??? at Worcester shed late December, 1966. Reinsted 18/01/67 to Bristol Bath Rd. 82A. Transferred to Canton 86A August, 1967. Withdrawn 09/11/68, still stored on the fuel tank road, Canton 86A, 19/12/69.

During April, 1970, together with D9535, used on a track renewal programme between Hereford & Craven Arms.

Towed ex Canton 86A, with D9519, to Geo. Cohen, Kettering 08/12/70 and scrapped there Feb. 1971.

D9517

???stored??? at Worcester shed late December, 1966. Reinstated to Bristol Bath Rd. 82A 18/01/67. Transferred to Canton Aug. 1967. Reported working at Ebbw Vale 26/10/68.

Withdrawn 09/11/68 (or 05/10/68 ?) yet still in use as the Canton 86A shed pilot 18th. Sept. 1969

D9519

Transferred from Landore 87E to Canton 86A July, 1967.

To store Sept. 1968, reported withdrawn variously as 05/10/68 and 03/05/69, but still stored on the fuel tank road, Canton 86A, 19/12/69.

Towed ex Canton 86A, with D9509, to Geo. Cohen, Kettering 08/12/70 and scrapped there Jan. 1971.

D9521

Transferred from Bristol Bath Rd. 82A to Landore 87E July, 1967 and stored from 24/03/69.

Officially withdrawn 26/04/69 or 03/05/69 still stored on the fuel tank road, Canton 86A, 19/12/69.

Eventually sold to NCB Ashington March, 1970.

Returned to South Wales 11/11/2004 when it moved from the Swanage Railway to the Barry Island Steam Railway.

D9524

Transferred from Canton 86A to Landore 87E Sept. 1967. Withdrawn 26/04/69 or 03/05/69 still stored at Landore 87E 29/11/69

Sold July, 1970 to B.P. Chemicals, Grangemouth, as No.8. Rebuilt and re-engined by Andrew Barclay & Sons 1974; eventually out of use by 1981. Preserved.

D9525

In use at Malvern Link 6th Sept. 1966 on P.W. train

D9526

Transferred from Bristol Bath Rd. 82A to Canton 86A May, 1967. Stored from Nov. 1968.

Reported withdrawn variously as 30/11/68 and 25/01/69 still stored Canton 29/11/69, sold to APCM Wesbury, Wilts. works Dec. 1969.

Spent a short time at the APCM Dunstable Works, Beds. and returned to Westbury under its own power, 27/01/1973.

D9530

New to Canton Feb. 1965. Reported withdrawn variously as 05/10/68 and 09/11/68, yet still stored at Landore 87E 29/11/69.

The IRS show this loco as being sold from Canton 86A to Gulf Oil, Roath Dock, Cardiff (date u/k) then moving to the Gulf Oil, Waterston Refinery on 26/09/69. It went from Waterston to BR Swindon on 05/08/71 for overhaul and returned to Waterston on 07/10/71.

Loco sold by Gulf, to NCB Mardy Colliery, Maerdy Oct. 1975 (apparently via A.R.Adams of Newport) and transferred via Canton (repairs) where I photographed it.

The loco was at Canton again circa May-Jul. 1976 but was moved to Ebbw Jct. depot during Jul. 1976. It returned to Mardy Colly on 16/08/76.

The loco was repaired again at Canton circa Aug. 1977 - Nov. 1977.

Eventually scrapped at Mardy Colliery circa Apr. 1982.

D9535

Transferred from Bristol Bath Rd. 82A to Canton 86A Dec. 1966. Stored from Dec. 1968. Reported withdrawn variously as 21/12/68 and 25/01/69, but still stored on the fuel tank road, Canton 86A 19/12/69,

During April, 1970, together with D9509, used on a track renewal programme between Hereford & Craven Arms.

Loco in use as 86A Canton depot pilot????? during Aug. 1970 and was on display at the 86A Canton Open Day 07/11/70. Eventually sold to NCB Weetslade, Nov. 1970.

D9536

Transferred Landore 87E to Bristol Bath Rd. Jan. 1966. Stored from 14/04/69. Reported withdrawn variously as 26/04/69 and 03/05/69 still stored at Landore 87E 29/11/69.

Reported sold to NCB Ashington, March 1970.

D9538

Transferred from Canton 86A to Landore 87E Feb. 1969. Stored from 14/04/69. Reported withdrawn variously as 26/04/69 and 03/05/69.Still stored at Landore 87E 29/11/69 but then transferred to Canton 86A where it was receiving attention in the main shed on 19/12/69 before sale to Shell Refining Co. Thames Haven, Essex.

Shell sold the loco to BSC Ebbw Vale , and after repair by BR Swindon, it arrived at Ebbw Vale 22/02/71.

It departed for the BSC Ironstone Quarries system during April, 1976 where it was used as a source of spares for similar locos.

D9555

Transferred from Bristol Bath Rd. 82A to Canton 86A May, 1967. Then transferred to Landore, July, 1967. Stored from 21/04/69 and reported as withdrawn variously 26/04/69 and/or 03/05/69; still stored at Canton 29/11/69 and in use as shed pilot 19/12/69.

Eventually sold to NCB Backworth, March 1970.

Brian R

Cardiff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, I had mine running on the Bachrus rollers last night and it went from being jittery to relatively smooth with about 20 minutes in each direction. Not a patch on a Hornby 08, of course, but very little is. Overall, I think it is a nice model, capturing the purposeful look of the prototype well. Yes, the pick-ups are a bit 1960s Tri-ang/Hornby but they can be toned down. It'll be interesting to see if Bachmann decide to scale up the Farish version, as I'm sure there would be a bigger market for these at a more reasonable price.

• RMweb Premium

Parts 49? Are they on your detail parts sprue?

My still sealed bag contains :-

0 x Part 50 - RH brake hanger (acknowledged as missing by Hattons)

3 x Part 51 - LH brake hanger

1 x Part 89 - brake rodding

1 x Part 98 - LH sandbox

1 x Part 99 - RH sandbox

There is also a separate back containing 2 x auto-couplers

I have no other fittings - am I missing something else?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Could someone who believes that their model has the full complementof detail fittings please list what they have?

Many thanks,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

John

I had 2 sets of 3 brake hangers, the rodding frame that joins them up ( it clips in after they are installed) and the two sandboxes - I assume this is all- unless anyone knows better.

FYI I used Pacer canopy glue to fix the parts as they are not a snug fit and will be easily lost as will the small piece on the short hood that covers the screw in the top - I've got blutak under mine.

All seems OK after lengthy running in on the rollers

Chris

• RMweb Premium

John

I had 2 sets of 3 brake hangers, the rodding frame that joins them up ( it clips in after they are installed) and the two sandboxes - I assume this is all- unless anyone knows better.

FYI I used Pacer canopy glue to fix the parts as they are not a snug fit and will be easily lost as will the small piece on the short hood that covers the screw in the top - I've got blutak under mine.

All seems OK after lengthy running in on the rollers

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for that - it seems that I am just missing 3 x Part 50 - RH brake hanger.

Hattons are 'looking into it' and will telephone me later today.

It seems pretty simple to me - just remove a complete accessory pack from a stock model and send it to me in exchange for my (still sealed) deficient pack! :angry:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

DSCN4069.jpg

A useful photo - thanks.

I had a quick try at dismantling this morning.

The cab came off quite readily and I took care to put the loose horn cowls on one side.

Out came the two screws from under the cowls.

The short bonnet was now loose at the end but wouldn't slide up at the cab end - is there a trick to this? Do you have to splay the bonnet sides at all?

The long bonnet was still firmly attached - are there any other fixings or some technique required to release the long bonnet?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

Thanks for that - it seems that I am just missing 3 x Part 50 - RH brake hanger.

Hattons are 'looking into it' and will telephone me later today.

It seems pretty simple to me - just remove a complete accessory pack from a stock model and send it to me in exchange for my (still sealed) deficient pack! :angry:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Just had a call from Hattons - the missing brake hangers will be in the post tonight.

Common sense has prevailed - thank you Hattons!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

So where did the Teddy Bear name come from?

Read somewhere that an old guy at Swindon works when they were being built said "we built the Great Bear here, now were building bl**dy teddy bears!"

Who knows if it's true but a nice story IMHO.

Cheers,

Nev.

Also as a Southern Man can anyone tell me where the 2 parts # 49 fit they look like a Celtic Cross with a pip on the back

Many thanks for the replies being a Bullied & 3-rail fan has more than its fair share of problems.

cctransuk: John I have rechecked my still unopened plastic bag and it would appear that it is complete including 3 sets of both handed brake hangers # 50/51. as per the list from cctran

Markmiller2008: Mark looking @ the pack I think the sandboxes are # 98/99 but many thanks as I now know where they fit.

In the photo listed by bubble2 on the 8th Feb I think that the items #49 are just off the white sheet top right. Could bubbles2 or anyone else comment as the buffer retaining grommets do not appear to fit in to the end of the buffers?huh.gif

Rowland.

• RMweb Premium

Just got my two this morning. One green and one blue. The blue one runs very smoothly but is a bit noisier than the green. The green one runs ok in short nose direction, but has a tight spot in the long nose direction. It is currently getting a running in on the Bachrus rollers.

Re parts, the green one seems to be all present and correct: 3 brake shoes one way, 3 brake shoes the other, two sand boxes and the brake rodding moulding. The blue one seems to have 4 brake shoes one way and 2 the other, plus the sand boxes and brake rodding moulding. Will follow that up with Hattons/Howes at a later date.

The 'hole' behind the exhaust port near the roof of the cab is exactly the same on both. Is this therefore a prototypical part of the design?

Could someone who believes that their model has the full complementof detail fittings please list what they have?

Many thanks,

John Isherwood.

Just received mine. Seems I have three of each brake shoes, LH & RH, two couplings, two sand boxes and a set of brake rods.

post-6950-12657177161636_thumb.jpg

Hi! Nice looking models!

Is it just 'urban myth' or did not the nickname arise from the design team being chaired by one Mr. E. Bear?

There is a very detailled history of each loco in the class in Roger Harris' book "The Allocation History of BR Diesels and Electrics -Third and Final Edition, Part 5' (Published by Roger Harris). This book also contains the brief individual histories of many other classes, including all the diesel hydraulics, the early diesel shunters, all the prototypes, all the NB classes and classes 15 and 17.

Hope this helps!

If anyone wonders why the 95ers weren't much use in South Wales, have a look at pagr 79 of the recently released 'Looking Back at Western Region Hydraulics' by Strathwood. There's a photo of D9542 in the Rhondda, half-buried under some 16 tonners which had decided they didn't want to stop.

Although I remember seeing numbers of these locos at Landore every weekend in the late 1960s (in a different order each week, which would suggest they had moved), it wasn't until my wife worked at the CTRL base at Beechbrook Farm, Ashford, in the late 1990s that I would see one working. I was so startled that I almost drove into one of the big yellow bits of plant that belted around the site!

• RMweb Premium

Looking at my model, this looks to be part #49 which is already fitted to mine.

Trevor

post-6909-12657217088976_thumb.jpg

Mine's got it on one side - but not the other, (though the fixing hole for it is there)!

Another e-mail to Hatton's !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

If anyone wonders why the 95ers weren't much use in South Wales, have a look at pagr 79 of the recently released 'Looking Back at Western Region Hydraulics' by Strathwood. There's a photo of D9542 in the Rhondda, half-buried under some 16 tonners which had decided they didn't want to stop.

Although I remember seeing numbers of these locos at Landore every weekend in the late 1960s (in a different order each week, which would suggest they had moved

Brian.

Somewhere, I have details of the duties for the remaining South Wales 'nine-fivers' for summer 1967, including those based at Landore and Eastern depot.

I'll try and find them.

I don't know where the Rhondda based 'nine-fiver' in the book would work from, but I think it was a Radyr based job which served Treforest coal yard and Pontypridd, as the next nearest worked off the small yard at Stormstown (Abercynon).

There was a belief, I'm told, that because they were made for trip working, but with a top speed of 45mph (IIRC) that staff believed they'd haul the same as a pannier or Cl.08 - but at a higher speed.

WRONG !

I recall watching them occasionally crawling up the bank from Newtown/Long Dyke into Cardiff General literally screaming and occasionally emitting flames on a par with an Amercian GE U-Boat.

The power for the daily trip to Radyr could be identified before it hove (sorry crawled) into view - an 08 would emit that low throbbing noise and the 'nine-fivers' would scream at a much higher pitch.

The last one I saw out on the mainline was D9555 on an evening in early December 1969 shunting Canton Brickyard Siding (or Mileage Yard) on the opposite side of the SWML to Canton TMD. The loco stood for a while under the footbridge, and a couple of us stood over the loco allowing the exhaust to keep us warm ! . . . . . . . . most articles and books would have you believe that the class had been gone six months earlier.

Brian R

• Like 1

Has anyone fitted a decoder as the picture in the Hornby Mag does not show where the decoder goes?

Pete

There's a picture in the leaflet that comes with the loco, if someone is able to scan it.

EDIT: here's a photo of the page, if you would please adjust your heads 90 deg to the right for maximum enjoyment:

post-7083-12657248179248_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I fitted a TCS MS2 plug in with the decoder fitted in the slot provided in the left side of the long bonnet casting. I think the plug needs to be reversed as I have no lights and wrong direction - 0nly problem is the short wires on the harness may not reach the 8 pin socket that way round! I'd rather not have to lengthen all the wires so I may try to get a slightly longer harness.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Mine's got it on one side - but not the other, (though the fixing hole for it is there)!

Another e-mail to Hatton's !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Full marks to Hattons - I've just received an e-mail to say that the Part 49 will be sent out this evening with the three Parts 50 that my model was also missing.

Regards,

John Isherwood.