RMweb Groups

Ian,

There already is something like that. When you click on Groups at the top of the page, the page with 'My Groups', 'New Groups' and 'Popular Groups' has a 'Latest Posts' block on the right hand side. This block appears to show the latest posts in your joined groups, though I don't know how long the list can grow or how far back in time it will stretch.

Ideally, though, I would have thought the best solution would be for all new group postings to show up in Active/New Content, rather than the limited selection we get at present.

Nick.

Just experimented. Apologies if this duplicates anything already covered.

Opening Groups with Opera, the usual heading are Featured Groups, My Groups, New Groups & Popular Groups. I can open any of the groups by clicking on the thumbnail image. Any new entries show up in Active Content as well.

Opening Groups with Internet Expolorer, all the aforementioned groups are displayed. However, all thumbnails are dead and I cannot enter or browse. The only way to enter my own group is via my own text box on the RH side of the page.

It is pretty obvious therefore that Internet Explorer is useless in the Groups department and webbers need to use Opera or some other browser.

• RMweb Gold

From what I can see, you need to actually go to a thread within the group forum, not just to the group page.

I suspect the list of visited groups is associated with a session, not with a specific cookie.

Nick

Nick I have found that if you simply click on 'Group Forum' (in the navigation box on the right) all the new posts in that Group then show up when you click on ' View New Content' (from the 'Forum' tab). It's a bit of a nuisance having to do that for every group which might interest you when you first log-in but at least it seems to get all the threads with new posts into the 'New Content pages.

It is pretty obvious therefore that Internet Explorer is useless in the Groups department and webbers need to use Opera or some other browser.

I'm using both IE8 and 9, depends which PC I'm using, Groups with thumbnails work fine for me, also Group updates appears in Active Content, etc., etc.,.

Opening Groups with Internet Expolorer, all the aforementioned groups are displayed. However, all thumbnails are dead and I cannot enter or browse. The only way to enter my own group is via my own text box on the RH side of the page.

From my experience:

Internet Explorer 6 - Yes as you describe for IE...

Internet Explorer 7 and 8 (presume also 9) - Work as I would expect, the same as you describe for Opera...

So to modify your last statement:

"It is pretty obvious therefore that Internet Explorer 6 is useless in the Groups department and webbers need to use a more up to date version of IE or some other browser."

Nick I have found that if you simply click on 'Group Forum' (in the navigation box on the right) all the new posts in that Group then show up when you click on ' View New Content' (from the 'Forum' tab)...

Thanks, Mike. My experiments weren't quite so rigorous or sufficiently fine-grained to discover that, and I was distracted into actually reading some content :rolleyes:

Nick

Our IT people are identifying display issues with other similar forums. They're looking at operating systems as well as browsers. At the moment Vista is a swear word! XP and Windoze 7 are better.

Request that if you're experiencing 'funny' problems then quote the OS as well as the browser as there may be interrelated problems here. No guarantees - just using knowledge gained elsewhere.

Hi Paul

Having just initiated the diesel-hydraulic group, I can only see positives from this development. It should in theory lead to better indexing on the forum, for example if I wanted to find all info on WR hydraulics I would need to search on either multiple terms or manually search certain fora individually (e.g. prototype, products, layouts) and then external links if this is to no avail.

As in all forms of research, reference and cross reference ad infinitum - the info we are often looking for is invariably out there, just not necessarily easy to search for.

As Andy says lets see how this one goes- I wish this initiative well, and gives more of us RMweb footsoldiers power to our elbow. We are a community, and many of us want to be more involved, we will get out of it what we put in.

Neil

Neil

Perhaps, then I'm a dinosaur and much prefer Yahoo groups where I can scan all entries ever day. And if the clash on SEMG a while ago is anything to go by, some three quarters of users prefer Groups to these Boards.

I didn't get an answer, but from some of the other entries I take it I will soon have nothing when I search Active content because everyone will migrate to these secret forums.

Paul Bartlett

I didn't get an answer, but from some of the other entries I take it I will soon have nothing when I search Active content because everyone will migrate to these secret forums.

I think there is some consensus - if not specific answer, and that is all the Group-topic-updates will be visible in "Active Content" - Indeed they are at the moment as long as you don't log off and do at least visit the topic.

It is early days and some of these teething issues need a bit of time to resolve or get along Andy's learning curve.

I am evidently one of the few who really dislikes Yahoo (not least because of the appallingly basic format, the need to sign up to each group and the hidden agenda of Yahoo itself).

I look on the Groups as a positive replacement for sub-forums. I can see them getting a bit overwhelmed and there will probably be a rash of Groups where the content dries up and they will probably get merged back into other groups. It is all a way to better organise the forum and is nowhere near the shift in mindset, and actual use, that the blogs required.

Dear Andy and others

I haven't followed this, just irritated at the development.

I have broad interests and no intention of joining any thing. Am I going to see entries to this new set up as I use active content usually a couple of times a day?

Paul.

Yes you will see these entries. There are apparently some issues with Active Content at the moment though I don't seem to experience them, or have not noticed. There is no intention to hide content.

Where does this idea of "secret forums" come from?

Sorry to be blunt, but perhaps you should have followed the thread, and read of what the development actually was and involved, before getting irritated at it just for being new per se - as your first post infers.

There is no secret forum. There is no hidden content. Topics are in essence simply being moved from one heading to another. Or created in a different area from where they would have been otherwise.

Like you, I tend to use Active Content. Therefore, it will continue to make little difference to me under which headings any given topic is posted. You might not notice any real difference in your interaction with RMWeb either.

...I am evidently one of the few who really dislikes Yahoo (not least because of the appallingly basic format, the need to sign up to each group and the hidden agenda of Yahoo itself)...

Good to know I'm in a minority of at least two :lol: I wouldn't touch Yahoo, even if I had a bargepole.

As you say, the groups visibility problem is, hopefully, just a minor bug that can be fixed rapidly. When that happens, all will be visible in Active posts and, if the wasted right hand column can be removed, any dinosaur will probably not notice the difference between a group and an ordinary forum. My only concern is that sorting this may be slightly more difficult than it should be because I suspect that closed group membership was a central part of the design of this feature and Andy has already usurped that.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Good to know I'm in a minority of at least two :lol: I wouldn't touch Yahoo, even if I had a bargepole.

Make that three. HMRS Paul refers to the democratic vote that SEmG took to decide between Yahoo and the more modern board style. When that vote showed a clear majority for staying with Yahoo - somewhat against the wishes of SEmG's list-owner, I felt - I bailed out. SEmG remains a huge accessible depository of info on all matters Southern, but the live dialogue had become cumbersome by comparison with what Andy Y enables here.

Paul.

Yes you will see these entries. There are apparently some issues with Active Content at the moment though I don't seem to experience them, or have not noticed. There is no intention to hide content.

Sorry to be blunt, but perhaps you should have followed the thread, and read of what the development actually was and involved, before getting irritated at it just for being new per se - as your first post infers.

There is no secret forum. There is no hidden content. Topics are in essence simply being moved from one heading to another. Or created in a different area from where they would have been otherwise.

Like you, I tend to use Active Content. Therefore, it will continue to make little difference to me under which headings any given topic is posted. You might not notice any real difference in your interaction with RMWeb either.

Jamie

Thanks, I don't mind blunt. I did read the early explanation and didn't like what sounded as if there was going to be a parallel set of forums which were only accessible by those signed up to them. Then, as (unlike Yahoo) it is impossible to scan the new content without actually opening each subject, I lapsed.

I am pleased that it has been clarified that everything should remain visible and accessible (and presumably postable to) by the non signed up.

Paul Bartlett

I think it might be developing out of a combination of things:

1. The fact that some topics appear to be disappearing, they are only moving from a sub-forum to a Group (and at the moment that may look like they are vanishing altogether - due to the "Active Content" issue).

2. The fact that all Groups are being displayed as "(Public)" - which immediately implies that there are others that are "(Private)"

3. The concern that "Group Owners" and "Group Moderators" are being given new powers over the content of the Forum. To edit/delete/move content.

4. Natural inbuilt fear of change, and a general dislike of that change being sudden, imposed and somewhat confusing (especially to the occasional user or those totally uncomfortable with the technology).

5. We are human.

My only concern is that sorting this may be slightly more difficult than it should be because I suspect that closed group membership was a central part of the design of this feature

Almost certainly, and I expect they conveniently forgot to place a privacy on/off button/default in the Admin Control Panel.

2. The fact that all Groups are being displayed as "(Public)" - which immediately implies that there are others that are "(Private)"

3. The concern that "Group Owners" and "Group Moderators" are being given new powers over the content of the Forum. To edit/delete/move content.

2. There is only one Private Group and that is for Group Owners to ask questions and discuss details.

3. The 'powers' aren't particularly wide-ranging It's a positive thing that proponents of particular areas are given more autonomy. All edits/deletions though just go into a Recycle Bin within my Admin area so nothing is irreversible or irretrievable if there were anything untoward or accidental.

Andy, thanks for that clarification.

I was not suggesting anything just trying to explain why some might get the impression of "secret forums". Loosing the word "(Public)" if simple to do would kill that one off. Only those in the "private" group need to know. Just like the "Admin" area, all a matter of "need to know".

I also have confidence that you will be maintaining a pretty tight rein on Group owners and moderators. They are there as your servants to help manage the site not there with free will to upset the applecart.

• RMweb Gold
I also have confidence that you will be maintaining a pretty tight rein on Group owners and moderators. They are there as your servants to help manage the site not there with free will to upset the applecart.

Awwwww, spoilsport !

• RMweb Gold

I think the whole point about Groups is that those who have elected to own one will each take their own direction within existing Forum rules. One Group of which I am a member has already had the owner PM-ing one or two of us asking if we'd like to prepare a kick-off contribution on new threads in which we are known to have an interest. Thus is he bringing knowledge out of the woodwork and ensuring new interest. Result!

They are there as your servants to help manage the site not there with free will to upset the applecart.

Now i just feel like one of the Bond mooks in the blue jumpsuits who you know ain't gonna make it beyond the first scene :unsure:;)

This detail may have been already reported

Folk have reporting the 'Join Group' button doesn't work in IE6, I can also report it doesn't seem to work in IE7 either.

Nor does it work for me in IE8.0.

There are a number of errors displaying RMweb content that I have noticed using IE8.

Nor does it work for me in IE8.0.

There are a number of errors displaying RMweb content that I have noticed using IE8.

Firefox however was fine. It could conceivably be related to pop-up control in IE8. (I didn't try to disable this, just went straight to Firefox.)

The recent status updates don't display properly in IE8 either.

Have you tried it with the Compatibility Mode Oz?

It should be on by default for RMweb.

rmwb.co.uk is listed in the IE->Tools->Compatibility View Settings menu.

Most things do work, but I do have problems with the recently updated status and the "join group".

Archived