Always good to see an update Scott, especially one where you haven't started ripping things up. 

I think we all go through periods of lack of interest so don't worry I am sure something will spark your interest again. Enjoy the nice weather and do out side stuff because it will probably rain next week.

Cheers Peter.

Hi-De-Hi campers....
Still no work on the layout, but I have been thinking about altering  a few things. The normal things like era, size of layout, region!  :jester:

I blame Rannoch Moor and an email from modelfair about a Heljan class 26 in RF grey!  Not an area I know anything about but I like the idea of it! I'm sure its just a passing phase.

Thanks Dave and Peter for the encouragement.. I'll try to keep things on track with the same theme.

Cheers
Scott

Hi-De-Hi campers....

Still no work on the layout, but I have been thinking about altering  a few things. The normal things like era, size of layout, region!  :jester:

I blame Rannoch Moor

Cheers

Scott

If you do change, modern image 00 with nice bright coloured colas class 56s would always be the answer in my opinion

Tom

I think I have said it before  Scott, but you can always buy a few locos and change your location, and run two areas or time periods. If they aren't too far apart you can run the same stock.

I have two class 26s and a class 27 as I plan to build a layout based in Scotland at some point. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Don't do it ! BR rules. The modern railway is duller than ditch water. Even those brightly painted things...

Can't resist.....

BR Blue is bland. Blander than the blandest of bland things.............................  :boredom:

Cheers,

Mick

Dont worry.. Things will remain the same. I'm just going through one of those stages. I'm on holiday with too much spare time so my mind had been wandering whilst chillaxing.

I expect a royal 47 will be waiting for me when i return so that should get me back into it.

On a side note has anyone got a track plan of margam depot? Before i try and work it out from google?

Cheers

Scott

Can't resist.....

BR Blue is bland. Blander than the blandest of bland things.............................  :boredom:

Cheers,

Mick

Sectorisation then. Many colours on many different locos, and not a 66 in sight! Bliss

Well now we've established what era/colour is the best, lets get back to Redbrook.

As you will know its gone a bit quiet on here and I had a moment where I was unsure as to the direction I was going. Well I'm back on track now and sticking with the South Wales theme with and era of 1996 - 2000. I am however considering a name change as Redbrook was originally for the Freightliner themed layout in the Southampton area.

So If you have any ideas I wouldn't mind hearing them. If I do change the name I would also consider starting a new fresh thread.

Meanwhile an interesting move was spotted earlier this evening, 

47798 seen passing under Park Road Bridge after travelling through the station light engine having worked a rugby special to Cardiff.

post-6849-0-30765200-1373829832.jpg

Here it crosses over to the yard/depot line.

post-6849-0-45907700-1373829839.jpg

The destination is in sight.

post-6849-0-20039100-1373829846.jpg

Finally arrived in the depot and shut down for the night. William is feeling slightly out numbered..

post-6849-0-58839300-1373829852.jpg

I hope to get on with the layout again soon, but still have lots of decorating to do in the house!! Great....

Cheers

Scott

Thanks Phil,

That's a good start..
I want to have a few names for the different areas. ie the Depot, yard and station.

I've just been looking at Bing maps, and I quite like Queensway as the station name as this road is just outside Newport station. For the yard which is in my eyes based (very) loosely on East Usk yard I like Soho Street which again is the road next to the yard.

Haven't looked for a depot name yet, might look at the Margam area on the map for inspiration.

Nothing is set in stone, just verbalising ideas.

Cheers

Scott

Thanks Phil,

That's a good start..

I want to have a few names for the different areas. ie the Depot, yard and station.

I've just been looking at Bing maps, and I quite like Queensway as the station name as this road is just outside Newport station. For the yard which is in my eyes based (very) loosely on East Usk yard I like Soho Street which again is the road next to the yard.

Haven't looked for a depot name yet, might look at the Margam area on the map for inspiration.

Nothing is set in stone, just verbalising ideas.

Cheers

Scott

Heh, I'm probably going to change the name on Appleford Jnct. for exactly the same reasons - I'm moving the layout to south wales (although I've not yet laid any track so it's easier for me to do!).

I'm interested in the area around Wentloog ( not that far from where you;re talking about! ) and having read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wentloog I may well end up with "Reen Junction" given that Wentloog is apparently bordered by Pencoed Reen. 

My approach with names is to either name them after a part of the house in which the reside (Blockwall Junction was surrounded by... well I'm sure you can guess!), a merging of two station names (Redcot being a fictional place between Reading and Didcot) or a place name that I like the sound of but fits equally well in a different area (Appleford Junction was going to be based in the home counties until I decided to move it to South Wales!).

I'm rambling now, so here's a few suggestions to get back to the point:

Maesglas Depot (Maesglas is not too far from Newport Docks)

Coldra Junction (Coldra is the area in which the Celtic Manor Hotel is situated and where the A449 & A48 join the M4)

Duffryn Sidings (again, Duffryn isn't too far from the docks)

Cheers,

Matt

HI Peter,
Think it was discussed on the 47798 thread that the loco did only have one on each end.

I'll try and find it to confirm.

Matt,

Thanks for your suggestions. Redbrook is the same as your redcot name. taken from Redbridge and Millbrook.
Might have look at that method again.

Cheers 

Scott

Archived