QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

• RMweb Gold

And dangerous overreach. Half a kilo of sausages. My postilion has been struck by lightning. So What is a 'scartomento' for?

Mmm, maids can be fun ...

Secondo il 'Google Translate' sta parlando senza senso ...

(According to 'Google Translate' he's talking gibberish...)

• RMweb Gold

I must have missed something - when did Quai:87 get relocated to Italy ?

I'm sure that Brian won't mind me quoting his oft used expression when asked what country it is based upon........"where would you like it to be ?!"  :biggrin_mini:

There doesn't appear to be any rail break between the ground based track and that on the near part of the traverser. Could it be that the near part of the traverser was fixed when the point was added, and only the far part actually moves ?

Stubby, Look closely at the head of the left-hand rail - you can see the gap faintly. Then follow it across to the other rails. The whole lot moves together. Quite fascinating and utterly bonkers. Which naturally makes if completely irresistible The Baron! What's the bet that sooner or later he rips summat out to 'make' space for this on QUAI:87? Deffo!

• RMweb Gold

Stubby, Look closely at the head of the left-hand rail - you can see the gap faintly. Then follow it across to the other rails. The whole lot moves together. Quite fascinating and utterly bonkers. Which naturally makes if completely irresistible The Baron! What's the bet that sooner or later he rips summat out to 'make' space for this on QUAI:87? Deffo!

I think it's time he built Quai:87A - an organically grown and quite natural extension to his masterpiece.... :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it's time he built Quai:87A - an organically grown and quite natural extension to his masterpiece.... :lol:

Would that be the South Wales extension at Neath? ;)

• RMweb Premium

Yes bit having seen the weirdness that's already taken place it might be an extension in an unforeseen direction; break out the shovels for the Quai:87 Metro?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The ongoing quest for realisticly following prototypical operations plumbed new depths on QUAI:87 recently, but not in the way you might imagine. Track in the street, wonderful though it is to behold, in model form and in real 12"-1' life conceals a hidden nightmare for the track maintenance crew. And so it came to pass, on the cobbled trackage at the end of the tram route on QUAI:87, the operating linkage gave up on one of the tramway turnouts. It would have to be the one furthest away from the operating lever (a wheely bin in this case) and beyond another turnout and a couple of sidings. Nothing to do but follow the prototype and suspend tram services (put on a bus-NO) and start digging up the cobbles.post-5773-0-47360400-1386340466_thumb.jpg

Took me ages to find where and how I had connected it up in the first place and in the end I made a bit of a mess of it. Trying to do the repair job without digging up too many cobbles was a little like I imagine keyhole surgery must be. (Never done any of that). I ended up threading, with much difficulty, a new piece of tubing under the ok turnout and wriggling it into position. Running the wire through and attaching it onto the single point blade down in that small flangeway gap without soldering it all up solid was easy by comparison. Then, much as the real life PW gang might have done I thought 'sodde the cobbles, we'll patch it up with Tarmac' so I did, being carefull to make a roughish job of it so that someone can come back and do the cobbles another day, as part of a 'make work' program.post-5773-0-37947500-1386341707_thumb.jpg.

Looking back on the job I was quite pleased with how similar the repair was to how it would be in full size. Rather wish I'd gone back and tidyed up the old cobbles and taken them away in a wheelbarrow instead of just slinging them in the canal. Oh well maybe next time. Brian, Zobmeister, QUAI:87.

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 16