QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

• RMweb Gold

Bit late, missed it 'till now :sorry:

The circular building in the background on the first image is actually the signallers office for Amsterdam and surroundings. It's vast and controls a large area: between Leiden (exclusive), Utrecht (exclusive), Amersfoort (exclusive), Haarlem (exclusive), Alkmaar (exclusive) and Zwolle (exclusive). Amsterdam CS itself has 2 signallers (one each east/west). That may not sound too impressive, until you realise there's 5 different directions (6 if you separate the trains going north at the junction at Weesp, each at least 2 tracks), some 2,000-2,500 trains a day with the interval reducing to about 90 seconds during rush hours, compromising international trains, InterCity and regional services as well as freights (having a loaded coal train rumbling through the station with a Class 66 or BR189 while standing on the adjacent platform is quite an experience. Especially as you'd realise the whole station was build on an artificial island, supported only by wooden piles in the mud... ;))

It was quite amusing visiting it in its early days when all it controlled was a km or 2 either side of Amsterdam CS plus a couple of workstations for new infrastructure elsewhere in the city/suburbs -there is a special viewing gallery above the operating floor so you could get a very god view of what was going on.  Another excellent feature of the building back then - and presumably still there(?) was the staff restaurant - on one of the lower floors - which served some smashing meals in true Dutch style, definitely not aimed at tourists in search of 'international' menus!

They are pestering me to get one of these.

My informants tell me that the cab floor in this thing ( Riv USA tank) is modelled just below the window line. That's a bit disappointing. Brian.

Edited by Brian Harrap

At a recent guest operating session on QUAI:87 the piece of wobbly track formation in front of the tram depot (see post # 33) came under scrutiny once again. Comments usually follow the "why did 'they' do it like that" format. Well I'm lost for an answer other than "I like it like that", which often doesn't satisfy. But I've bidded my time knowing that there is a prototype somewhere - I've seen 'em, but can't find the photos. Then I came across thispost-5773-0-79936700-1372505491_thumb.jpg I still don't know why 'they' did it, but there's a prototype for everything even if it's not quite how I did it.

While I'm at it another thing that gets snook cocked at it from time to time is my loco shed on stilts. (see post#24)Again not quite how I did it but I came across this picture by Adrian Booth of the loco shed at Stourport power station, reproduced here by kind permission of 'Railway Bylines'.post-5773-0-33054000-1372506073_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

At a recent guest operating session on QUAI:87 the piece of wobbly track formation in front of the tram depot (see post # 33) came under scrutiny once again. Comments usually follow the "why did 'they' do it like that" format. Well I'm lost for an answer other than "I like it like that", which often doesn't satisfy. But I've bidded my time knowing that there is a prototype somewhere - I've seen 'em, but can't find the photos. Then I came across thisattachicon.gifThree way001a.jpg I still don't know why 'they' did it, but there's a prototype for everything even if it's not quite how I did it.

While I'm at it another thing that gets snook cocked at it from time to time is my loco shed on stilts. (see post#24)Again not quite how I did it but I came across this picture by Adrian Booth of the loco shed at Stourport power station, reproduced here by kind permission of 'Railway Bylines'.attachicon.gifLoco Shed on Stilts001a.jpg

A picture of mine from a few years ago in Cuba http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin-staddon/4792376349/ and looking down the side street http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin-staddon/4793003482/in/photostream/

• Like 2

At a recent guest operating session on QUAI:87 the piece of wobbly track formation in front of the tram depot (see post # 33) came under scrutiny once again. Comments usually follow the "why did 'they' do it like that" format. Well I'm lost for an answer other than "I like it like that", which often doesn't satisfy.

I am staggered that anyone who has been invited as a guest could be so impolite as to criticise your superb work, Brian. The best answer is - just don't invite them again!

If we listened to that kind of opinion all the time, then every layout would end up looking pretty much the same - boring and unoriginal. Yours bucks the trend admirably. Long may it stay like that!

Thank you for the pictures, stadman. Knew I shudda gone to Cuba, too late now I expect.

And concern yourself not, Velopeur. I don't think it was a critisism, just astonishment. Glad you liked it.

Regards, Brian.

Edited by Brian Harrap

Thank you for the pictures, stadman. Knew I shudda gone to Cuba, too late now I expect.

And concern yourself not, Velopeur. I don't think it was a critisism, just astonishment. Glad you liked it.

Regards, Brian.

This site has more quirks and oddities than you could ever need......... http://www.tramz.com/

Including trolleybuses built in Ipswich and converted to trams in Peru, to name but one.

For a little while now a few of the canal maintenance crew and some of their friends from the local historical group have been spending their spare time at weekends restoring the old Ball Signal at QUAI:87. Not strictly necessary these days of course but in bygone times the signal was an aid to water borne traffic, indicating (when at the top of its pole) that the old Delft style swing bridge, seen on the right with the bus passing over along the quai, was open for barge traffic. (see trackplan to work that out)

The (model) ball is hauled up the pole on a length of fishing line which goes back down the hollow pole,  under the 'benchwork' and is connected by an improbable collection of bits of chain and thread around several screw eyes to the main operating crank of the old bridge so that it slowly rises as the bridge is swung clear of the waterway. The rather bright orange colour is my second choice, my original idea of a black and white checker pattern proving more trouble than it was worth to paint on the spherical ball.

This, and I'm sure many other delights, may be seen at first hand at the Hartlepool show on 13 -14 July 2013. Not long now, I must go and clean the track for smooth running and then polish the water for a better reflection. Hope to see you there, Brian.

post-5773-0-43467200-1373090434_thumb.jpg

• Like 15