QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

• RMweb Premium

Yes that's right Neil. One of several crossings of this type I found in Prague - they must have got a job lot of them. Fascinating stuff. B

Ps, see how the wheels run on the edge of their flanges through the crossing rather than on their tyres.

Here's a more extreme version of this principle where the Vicinal crossed the SNCB.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Neil. Must have made quite a clatter jumping the gap at 90deg and riding on the flanges over the other rail. A couple of pics of my 90 crossings on QUAI:87 for comparison. B

Ha. You don't fool me monsieur 'arrap, substituting prototype photos for your models just won't wash, (like the french).

Mike.

• Like 1

Does the collect wire run over the roof ? Would make the contact with the panto-graph interesting...

Ah, wondered who'd be the first to spot that one. Actually, Mr stubby, the "wire" you see in the pic above is in fact the pencil line drawn on the roof as a cutting guide for the roofers to cut back to. See pic below now that that part of the work has been completed. Aligning everything, wires and all, has been a lot more trickier than I would have imagined compared with 'normal' overhead. The offsetedness doesn't show up as much in the photos as it does when viewing and driving on the layout for real.

B

post-5773-0-34212100-1454681636_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Ha. You don't fool me monsieur 'arrap, substituting prototype photos for your models just won't wash, (like the french).

Mike.

Thank you Mike, clearly if they had been prototype pictures there would have been crisp packets and coke cans and perhaps the odd squashed hedgehog stuck in the flangeways. Perhaps I've got a bit more work to do, N'est-ce pas vrai. B

• RMweb Gold

Grief, how do you expect us minions to cope with that lot!    :O  

I hope that there aren't plans to wire the hoist now. Some of us have only just learned which way the up and down switching works  :scratchhead:

Grief, how do you expect us minions to cope with that lot!    :O  

I hope that there aren't plans to wire the hoist now. Some of us have only just learned which way the up and down switching works  :scratchhead:

Don't worry John, there's a fifty page manual being produced that should see you through it all. B

Hi Brian,

Probably a moot point now that you have fitted the masts but I took a few photos back in September 2014 to show just how convoluted tram tracks and wires can be! This was in Nurnberg/Nuremburg as my mate and I were making out way to the freight marshalling yards, on a Sunday.

For some reason, there was a turnaround coming off the 'main' line (which I think led from Nurnburg to Furth), even the rails that weren't set in the road were shiny so it was in use!

24825525666_a16145e819_b.jpg

If you click on the image, it will take you to my new Flickr album!

Cheers,

John.

PS I'm sure there was one part where the tram wires were anchored to a tree!!! Unfortunately this doesn't seem to show up in these pictures, sorry!

Edited by Allegheny1600

Hi Brian,

Probably a moot point now that you have fitted the masts but I took a few photos back in September 2014 to show just how convoluted tram tracks and wires can be! This was in Nurnberg/Nuremburg as my mate and I were making out way to the freight marshalling yards, on a Sunday.

For some reason, there was a turnaround coming off the 'main' line (which I think led from Nurnburg to Furth), even the rails that weren't set in the road were shiny so it was in use!

24825525666_a16145e819_b.jpg

If you click on the image, it will take you to my new Flickr album!

Cheers,

John.

PS I'm sure there was one part where the tram wires were anchored to a tree!!! Unfortunately this doesn't seem to show up in these pictures, sorry!

Love the picture, John. Yes tram wires can get quite involved. Umpteen wires and pull offs wrapped around that pole and a tree did you say. I did once see some power lines routed via some trees with some redundant fixings higher up the tree indicating where the wires had been lowered as the trees grew. (Tasmania). My own tramway wiring I have simplified somewhat to avoid too much clutter in the sky but I have been careful to keep the wires as a series of straight segments around the curves. Curved contact wire is so last year don't you think.

Thank you for your interest, Brian.

Hello Alastair, lovely collection of brooms from down the ages - I'll have one of each. I particularly like the converted harrow or whatever it is being pulled by the tramcar. Must have been a heck of a job keeping it going the right way along the tracks - don't see any guiding wheels but I suppose there must be some. In the meantime here's a shot of the OHL being painted (bare wire coloured wire won't do) on QUAI:87. Bet there's not a prototype piece of equipment for that task. The paint marks on the second finger of the painter indicate how paint is removed from the underside of the wire before it dries too hard to be easily removed for current pick up.

post-5773-0-90137900-1455099172_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

One of those little roller sponges for painting the sides of rails might have worked for painting the OHL. Probably too late to say that now though.

I didn't know there was such a thing, its not April 1 is it? Anyway all OHL is painted now thanks, amazing how much the brushed on paint spatters as the wire plings about while being done. Brian.