QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

I didn't know there was such a thing, its not April 1 is it? Anyway all OHL is painted now thanks, amazing how much the brushed on paint spatters as the wire plings about while being done. Brian.

How about using a paint pain, or a chunky sized, suitably coloured permanent marker?

Yes painting can be a pain and unfortunately permanent  markers dry gloss on metal, but thanks for the thought. B

Sorry, auto spelling.....that should have read a paint PEN, I've found them useful for all sorts of things, and you can get them in all sorts of colours, including blacks and Browns.

All movements between the mine (not modelled) and the wagon hoist are now handled by Nr 1 on the new electrified extension. I managed to get a couple of shots this morning of the train winding its way along the street and around the support columns of the upper level. B

post-5773-0-95889300-1456660903_thumb.jpg

post-5773-0-16486800-1456660942_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

It is beginning to look a lot like the former pithead railways of the North East of England with their small boxcab electrics (and the catenary) leaning over at impossible angles on what seemed to be track canted at nearly 45:O 

Oh I like that Brian, the loco and the detailing along the grass edge :) I can hear it rattling along . .

Thank you Paul. If you like to hear it rattling along you should hear the creaking and groaning as it goes over this lot. Brian.

post-5773-0-50862100-1456910298_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

It is beginning to look a lot like the former pithead railways of the North East of England with their small boxcab electrics (and the catenary) leaning over at impossible angles on what seemed to be track canted at nearly 45:O

Hello Bob, ah yes the lamented mining industrials. Always had a soft spot for the old Harton electrics. B

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,

Just out of curiosity would a loco with a conventional central pantograph still run under your new overhead wire ?

Hello Ian, nice to hear from you. No, the idea of the offset overhead wire on the new electrification is so the 1200v mining loco can run along the 600v tram track keeping the two electrical systems quite separate. Several lines in Switzerland and possibly elsewhere use/used this solution. I am conveniently ignoring any (perceived?) differences in wheel/track standards etc. Thanks for your interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Update.   QUAI:87 itself is 'resting' just now, I haven't re-assembled the layout since returning from the Nailsea exhibition. Thanks to all who stopped by to visit the Quays, by the way, nice to meet you all. QUAI:87 being put away for a while will free up a bit of space and a bit of time for me to fiddle around with one or two things I've been wanting to have a go at for some time now. Thank you all for the interest you have shown in the layout over the years but don't go away, as they say - Its not finished yet. 

Something to muse over in the meantime, Brian.

post-5773-0-54206800-1460447760_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 17

• 3 months later...

As you may have gathered QUAI:87 has been resting for a while. In fact I haven't got around to putting it back up at Baron Towers since getting home from the Nailsea show which has prompted several to ask how the next project is coming along. Well I am happy to report that progress is being made and only yesterday I was out selecting  timber for the baseboards. (See pic). The track in the foreground is a bit of Mr Templer's granite tramway which I suppose I could use for transporting the logs. (See stone age double slip, elsewhere in this parish). Only remains to get the tree fellers out and lug it all down to the sawmill, so shouldn't be long now till track laying. B.

post-5773-0-17261600-1469212191_thumb.jpg

• Like 3