QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

• RMweb Gold

They're part of the new space shuttle I'm building, they're made of enhanced wood from sustainable forests.

I hope it shuttles you to some extra space.

Are you sure about the beverages, though?

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Old dog - old tricks - old habits.

I never ever use the cut out card or embossed plasticard method for roadway surfaces on any of my paved/inset trackwork. It just doesn't look right to me and it never, however carefully done, snuggles up just so against the railhead. That's why I don't believe what I've just done. You see Scaleforum is fast approaching and I'd like to take, what has become known locally as 'Sentinel Street', (not keen on that name - sounds too British -  but since the layout is based in the UK I suppose I shall have to live with it) to said Scaleforum this coming September. I never work to deadlines either, my whole world is falling apart.

So I thought I'd take a short cut. Tracks on my layouts that go into or through buildings, hitherto, got the full paving treatment even though they are hardly visible more than a couple of inches in, (inches not centimeters, it's a British layout remember). The 'I know it's there syndrome'.

So I have this building with a dead straight track entering. Sodde it, I'll just cut out some card strips to speed things up a bit, no one will notice. It's not too bad if I don't think about it too much, but I caught myself out by not remembering what I'm about.

I merrily cut a strip 16.6mm wide to fit between the rails (from inside web to inside web) as I would have done if ever attempting this shortcut on QUAI:87 (which I wouldn't). It was too narrow, ruler shrunk in the cold? Do another a bit wider - still not wide enough, what's going on? After the third strip it dawned on me that as this layout is located in the UK the track gauge is 18.83. The fourth strip turned out the right width.

So has the shortcut saved me any time? I rather doubt it. See if you can spot the difference at S4um, I think you probably will.

Baron.

Would decorators caulk get you out of this hole?  It's quite a useful filler as it can be wiped smooth with a damp cloth and then painted over.  In this case, I'd try smoothing with wet flexible plasticard spatula.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do like these convoluted systems, dockyards and gasworks being particularly happy hunting ground. I'm intrigued, with the presence of the electric tram in the distance, what is tramway and what is railway in this scheme?

Steve

• RMweb Gold

I do like these convoluted systems, dockyards and gasworks being particularly happy hunting ground. I'm intrigued, with the presence of the electric tram in the distance, what is tramway and what is railway in this scheme?

Steve

You may be aware that my nearest city, Le Mans, had, until August 8th 1944, a river bridge in the shape of an X. It was thus because in the middle of the River Sarthe two tramways intersected. They were the town overhead electric tramway, and the rural steam tramway which ran many kilometres in several directions, including passing close by my cottage 40 km away. The date I have quoted was when the retreating Germans blew up the bridge as the Allies entered the city.

It is only a matter of time before Baron Harrap recreates this in his inimitable style.

• Like 6

You may be aware that my nearest city, Le Mans, had, until August 8th 1944, a river bridge in the shape of an X. It was thus because in the middle of the River Sarthe two tramways intersected. They were the town overhead electric tramway, and the rural steam tramway which ran many kilometres in several directions, including passing close by my cottage 40 km away. The date I have quoted was when the retreating Germans blew up the bridge as the Allies entered the city.

It is only a matter of time before Baron Harrap recreates this in his inimitable style.

Dammit.

Although the railway transporter bridge at Warrington beckons.

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 1

Steve

Hello Steve,

Yes I'm happiest with the industrial types too. No need to be tied down to any particular railway company or region, even P76 Engineering is only vaguely located in some unspecified industrial heartland. So the tram (EFE shown here but hopefully something better later, any ideas?) also is of unidentified heritage. I am thinking of including it in the scheme because I so enjoyed the tram on QUAI:87 trundling backwards and forwards perversely and at random across the 90º crossings whilst shunting movements had to be fitted around it. Same I hope in Sentinel street where it will bisect no less than five crossings of the industrial tracks. If it turns out to be too much of a nuisance I'll lower it's pan.

Thank you for your interest,

Baron.

• Like 2

Or, the Anderton boat lift?

Oops, sorry - wrong hobby!

Deja vu !

I mentioned Northwich as i used to travel over it as a boy and my school was about a 10 minute walk from the boat lift but I have never seen either modelled.

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

Yes I'm happiest with the industrial types too. No need to be tied down to any particular railway company or region, even P76 Engineering is only vaguely located in some unspecified industrial heartland. So the tram (EFE shown here but hopefully something better later, any ideas?) 

Not being a tram afficionado, but I do know Chris Cornell makes some very nice etched tram kits:

https://www.tramwayinfo.com/Tramframe.htm?https://www.tramwayinfo.com/Models/Makersuk/Cornell.htm

Steve

• RMweb Gold

CK and I were privileged to visit the Baronial residence and get to play with 'Sentinel Street'

A few rather dark and indifferent phone snaps. No doubt better ones will be posted in due course!

post-6728-0-67446400-1543355105_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-82817200-1543355145_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-23680500-1543355213_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-02823600-1543355262_thumb.jpg

The first job for the P76 Works!

post-6728-0-77238400-1543355485_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

CK and I were privileged to visit the Baronial residence and get to play with 'Sentinel Street'

A few rather dark and indifferent phone snaps. No doubt better ones will be posted in due course!

attachicon.gif20181127_151445.jpg

attachicon.gif20181127_150735.jpg

attachicon.gif20181127_150110.jpg

attachicon.gif20181127_145551.jpg

The first job for the P76 Works!

attachicon.gif20181127_141326.jpg

Photoshop rules OK

post-5773-0-69183300-1543400912.jpg

• Like 4