Leon

Hi all, sorry Lewis no more EWS, well maybe one more 66 ! Defo now ews 56 tho sorry. Not done much recently had to find a job so I can pay for all the wagons & locos ive been drooling over recently... Put my head in the atic for a pic or two to keep me interested, nothing great sorry...

post-5554-128380030603_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128380035515_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128380042693_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128380050718_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128380084396_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Class 60 takes on some fuel, 56032 gets ready to leave the Steelworks with cargowagons and 37406 passes the depot with a Speedlink Service...

Hoping to put an order in this week for some new rolling stock or loco's, unsure what to get, there should be a railfreight OCA on the way for b'day for use on steel trafic from the works the railfreight BBA's & HEA's are still not out, maybe another Steel 56 or 37, or maybe a Coal 37...Any sugestions ?

post-5554-032604900 1285702393_thumb.jpg

post-5554-063363700 1285702456_thumb.jpg

post-5554-081681800 1285702523_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi leon,

You are making good progress with the layout, I especially like the picture of the 56 with the cargowaggons...

As for what you should buy.. I think a 37 in Coal sub sector would look great with a load of MGR's moving slowly through the yard.

Not sure what your full fleet status is but I have added a picture of a couple that would also look very nice added to your loco roster. I hope you don't mind. They are pictured at Newport.

Cheers

Scott

post-6849-071413100 1285857461_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Scott, great pic thanks, I never knew those two were ever in South Wales.. Your right about the 37 I think. Im looking at bachmanns one and going to change the name/number to a South Wales one. Im still waiting for Railfreight HEA's though, cant find any, Rails & Hattons are on pre order still...

At the mo money is tight, I have got back into work but was off for a month so lost a little pay.. Current fleet is Departmental 09, Railfreight Dist Class 37, Trainload Metals 37201, Trainload Metals 56, Petroleum 60( A rake of TEA's one day to buy.) 66 in EWS. Not really got much stock so also need to add a few wagons...

My wish list is

Another 37 in Metals, two 37's in Coal, maybe a petroleum 37 on TTA's, another 56 in Metals and one in coal, a grotty blue 08, and a pair of 60's in trainload metals...thats just my basic fleet requirements, I will then of course add other visitors in time.

Your going really well on yours, not been on here for a while so will be catching up with everyone elses layouts soon

All the best

Leon.

Leon,

Good news about the job ?

You're still more than welcome at our monthly get together, it's more for a chat than a drink !! - I'm in the process of organising another one.

As Scott has posted a pair of Thornaby Cl.37/5s I thought I'd best join in.

All three are taken from the embankment that led to the former Swansea St. Sidings adjacent to Tidal, which is no longer there.

My first, and rather poor effort shows 37518 + 37517 leaving Tidal with the daily Tees Yard working, circa 1990.

The second shot is of 37710 shunting some empty SPAs about the same time.

The final snap was intended to capture the SEA but looking back twenty years on, the assortment of wagons in the background are amazing.

Brian R

post-1599-050078300 1285865063_thumb.jpg

post-1599-085252600 1285865081_thumb.jpg

post-1599-053217400 1285865444_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks guys for the posts, Brian those picture are fab ! so much inspiration there to work with, I agree the last one is a great shot showing an assortment of wagons in the yard, good to see a rake of HAA's there too. Had a pair of OCA's of the wife today so the second picture of them behind 710 will be of great use when I come to weather them. 4 or so Cargowaggons too, think I need to add to my one. I based my layout on Tidal but you mention Swansea St sidings in your post, what do you know about them, firtst ive heard of them, I take it they were not on the site of Tidal?

Deffo up for the next meet, I know ive missed a few but back on feet now with work so thanks for the mention, we can all compare about our steelworks..lol

Hope all is well,

Cheers

Leon

I based my layout on Tidal but you mention Swansea St sidings in your post, what do you know about them, firtst ive heard of them, I take it they were not on the site of Tidal?

Leon,

Tidal Sidings originally formed a relatively small part of a much larger complex that was made up of several elements including Swansea St., Marshalling Sidings, Dock Storage and Tidal Sidings amongst others.

With the decline in coal and steel traffic these yards slowly closed and the site contracted to the pseudo-jungle/rainforest that we know today as 'Tidal'.

I have a map showing the yard at its' height, I'll show you sometime (copyright prevents me posting a scan).

Allied Steel & Wire leased a number of 'Cargowaggon' vans in the mid-90s for their traffic.

As for the HEA hoppers, as well as coal traffic, you could also use them as HSA scrap wagons, just put some styrene sheet in the bottom and cover it in ballast and they can run empty as well.

Brian R

Hi Leon, I like the idea of getting a few more 37's, from my visits to Newport all those years ago I seem to remember they were the main stay of freight operations passing through. I am trying to justify a few on my layout but I should really have more 56's.

As for the HEA's, Ebay do have a few on there at the moment...

Keep up the good work mate, and thanks for your comments about mine. I'm slowly getting there.

Cheers

scott

Hi Leon,

It looks like you've made some good progress with the layout since the last time i was on the thread,

I like the fuelling/shed area - nice and airy! People try and cram too much in to small spaces, but you've done this justice.

Nice one!

I like the feel of the layout - takes me back to when the 37 was king in South Wales! :D

Trev

Cheers Trev,

I have a pair of Trainload Coal 37's on the way, can anybody help me on how best to remove the nameplates and numbers? I know there are forums on here but Im sure many of you guys have done it before, the last time I had ago was about 10 yrs ago and Im sure things have changed since then..

Thanks in advance

Leon.

Hi Peter, I was thinking the same, Vitrains do one named "British Steel Hunterston" I could always remove the name and renumber her I guess. I think there going for £59 at Hattons, maybe I will have a look, I have 3 Clam that need collecting from the yard, been there sometime now, cant really use a Class 60 for that...lol

Cheers.

Leon

Guest Dave.C

Phew, just waded through the whole thread, very impressive Leon.

Lots of similarities with my native Teesside.

Good to see the recent pictures of the Thornaby locomotives.

Hi Leon,

I had forgot about the Vitrains loco, just be carefull when you remove the name etc I think they are harder to do than the Bachmann loco's, not done it myself but read it somewhere.

Nice pic Scott, think I have a few pics taken from that spot.:D

Cheers Peter.

Started work on the pipe in the steelworks this afternoon, still more detailing to be done, also lightly weathered the two OCA that arrived and Petroleum owned 60 with damaged plough stands in for a metals 60.

post-5554-027737200 1286121503_thumb.jpg

post-5554-085341400 1286121535_thumb.jpg

post-5554-013959200 1286121605_thumb.jpg

post-5554-080323000 1286121650_thumb.jpg

post-5554-049120500 1286121681_thumb.jpg

post-5554-071517700 1286121709_thumb.jpg

post-5554-060778500 1286121742_thumb.jpg

• Like 2