Leon

Having never weathered anything in my life I certainly don't feel qualified to give advice or indeed to offer any form of criticism, but I'm pleased to see that you decided to return to 37803. I think this is a super layout and until you provided details of your stock in a recent post I would never have imagined that you had only a limited number of locos available as there always seems to be plenty going on. I've obviously never looked closely enough to see that it's usually the same loco's on view but I never was a 'spotter'. In that respect I just thought that the weathering on 37803 was a little too heavy and not quite to the same high standard of detail that I have come to expect (though for sure, still far better than anything I could manage myself).

The nail polish remover looks to have done a decent job, in fact it looks to have done a very good job as you now have a locomotive that shows signs of having been recently washed. Somewhere between what you originally put on and what you've now taken off is where you need to be in my view. Don't they say "It's not what you put on but what you take off" with regards to weathering? I'm sure you'll get it just right.

As for the 37s in coal sector livery and a set of MGRs, that was a great choice and I'm looking forward to seeing the full rake when you get hold of the remainder.

Excellent work Leon, although I do like pairs of 37s on MGRs Grids do just edge it for me so thanks for the photo of 56032. I can just imagine the noise from the Ruston-Paxman engine as it trundles passed………..

Really do love all the sector locos on shed, good work. Me thinks you need a couple of coal sector Grids and 60s just to finish it off! B)

Thanks Grimley,

And a big thank you on the advice / notes on weathering the HAA's. just need to finish them with some data panels and warning flashes and the odd Barry depot logo's.

By the way the next locos on my list include your sugestions...lol

56 in Coal,

60 in Coal

60 in Metals

60 in Petroleum

All the best.

Leon.

Hi Leon,

37803 looks a shed load better i like the way some of the weathering is left in the nooks a crannies, and along the the botton edge. I think you have captured the look of a real loco really well. I am glad the nail polish remover worked ok, I was a bit worried it may remove more than just your weathering.:D

Here's a pic of a Cafdiff coal loco having a rest from hauling coal trains, 37278 shunts it's train at Weymouth. Oh and a Grid for Grimley.;)

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-011832800 1286971220_thumb.jpg

post-7022-065441800 1286971354_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Leon, no problem at all, I hope it was helpful.

I look forward to their arrival, I am jealous! Wouldn’t mind that lot myself…..B)

I do have a Hornby 60077 which will be turned into 60008 in Metals at some point. Will have to get a few coal 56s and 60s once my depot is finished, not exactly sure when that will be!

Thanks for the photo of 56073 Peter, always did like that one in Metals. Nice and dirty too!! :D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Leon,

To be honest I thought that the weathering on 37803 was a bit too heavy, but now that you have cleaned it up, I think that it looks superb, the weathering has been left in all the crevices and around the panels very well.

The overall effect of the layout, with weathered locos and wagons looks extremely realistic in my opinion. Excellent work there, please keep updating on progress.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, can anyone tell me in simple terms how to run double headed loco's using the Dynamis DCC system, I dont get on well with the instruction manual. I have tried the way it set out but only one loco seems to pull, im trying to pair the two coal 37's up.....I know its proberbly in the wrong topic, sorry

Thanks

Leon.

Hi Leon, Ive never used the Dynamis, so cant answer that bit.. But I was having a chat only the other day about double heading dcc locos. The outcome of that was to program both locos with the same number and try and get their cv settings similar. LIke I said, I don't know how easy it is to create a consist with your controller but if they are to be coupled together on a regular basis it might be worth giving it a go... I'm sure more advice will be forthcoming from others who know a lot more than me..

Cheers

Scott

Or you could take the motor out of one and let the other loco pull it, this would be fairly easy if you knew how to go about it. But that is assuming the powered loco could pull the full train, and if it needs double heading in real life... :lol:

Leon,

I've not looked on here for a good long while. I've got to say South Wales Freight gets better and better. Loving the 37's and love the effect that the nail polish remover had on the weathering. Superb stuff.

Chris

Airbrush blocked so just took some pics, not much progress on the layout recently, just some new rolling stock. The yard is getting full. A Tinsley Rfd 37 arrives with a freightliner whilst EWS 66 is on HAA's

post-5554-006417900 1289156205_thumb.jpg

post-5554-094700100 1289156225_thumb.jpg

post-5554-032346400 1289156269_thumb.jpg

post-5554-092578500 1289156295_thumb.jpg

post-5554-070125300 1289156312_thumb.jpg

post-5554-006813000 1289156355_thumb.jpg

post-5554-078641300 1289156376_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Guy, glad you like them, I have 37800 in Trainload coal on the way, I only needed the two coal 37's I have but Hattons are selling it at £33. Got to buy it for that price.....Im pleased with the pic you mention, its hit and miss really, some come out terrible and dont give the layout any justice others come out well, I think from a distance with zoom works better.

Cheers

Leon

No Simon, you cant ask. Nice one Scott, mine was posted today and will be here tomoz,. I was tempted to get two and renumber one, but I made a mistake renumbering the last ones into heavyweights as Simon points out....lol

The arrival of 37800 "Glo Cymru" for some weathering and name plates give the oppotunity to see three Trainload Coal 37's on shed with Tinsley's Rfd 37406 and Canton 37201 in Trainload Metals. Also a Class 47 waits to leave the yard with a container train including new "Samskip" containers. Going to need to build those two fiddle yards soon as trains still have nowhere to run....lol Looking at the pictures im not sure if I need to add a bit of variaty when it comes to the weathering...all the rolling stock looks simular colour..

post-5554-085313300 1289336302_thumb.jpg

post-5554-093756900 1289336347_thumb.jpg

post-5554-050109900 1289336371_thumb.jpg

post-5554-021642800 1289336411_thumb.jpg

post-5554-058668400 1289336457_thumb.jpg

post-5554-035288500 1289336485_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Leon,

the layout is looking good - in particular the coal sector Syphons!!

Just one thing - swap the headlights on the shed over to the night setting for when it gets dark!!!! (You could get form one'd for that!) ;)

Nice one!

Trev

Hi Leon,

the layout is looking good - in particular the coal sector Syphons!!

Just one thing - swap the headlights on the shed over to the night setting for when it gets dark!!!! (You could get form one'd for that!) ;)

Nice one!

Trev

Hi trev, thanks for the support, what did you mean about night setting for the shed? are we talking about the shed building or the 66 ?

Thanks

Leon

Hmmm.... because of you and your pics and how you've sorted out your VI Trains 37's I've just ordered 37201 and I dont even think it visited the North East of England!! Stll at £39 you cant go wrong.

Nice coal line up. Ive got 2 Scottish coal 37's and the 2 Hornby coal 56's.

I dont think your abundance of 3TG looks too samilar Leon. The sector decals see to that. Think about it, even a yard full of blue looks fantastic and they ARE all the same.

Guy

Hello Leon,

You're latest pictures are stunning mate ! You have achieved alot and it inspires me !

So are you happy with your Vi trains 37's ? Because i also model the Sectorisation period, i have been thinking about their 37's,

don't know whether to get any ! Should i ?

Well done !

Regards,

Graham.