RMweb

Class 85

Michael Delamar

Now how many here would cover over one of the marker lights to mimic 85020's busted one? Its probably one of those real life details that just looks wrong in model form.......

I like the way the overhead supports have been painted to blend in with the stations roof colours in Daves photos.

Might be a bad sign for anyone looking for Bachmann to produce any more AC electrics - did anyone else get a Rail blue E numbered 85 from The Signal Box stand at Warley for under £40! The sales staff told me they were very poor sellers and "just needed to clear the stock". I'm happy though!

Hmmmmmm,

Their website shows them full price. I wonder if its just a show price?

I have bought both blue/yellow ones at Folkestone and Peterborough at £64 each.

I'll give 'um a bell tomorrow.

Hmmmmmm,

Their website shows them full price. I wonder if its just a show price?

I have bought both blue/yellow ones at Folkestone and Peterborough at £64 each.

I'll give 'um a bell tomorrow.

Was not just 85's being sold cheap.

Class 37's at £45

Desiros at £89

03's at £35

44's at £40

and loads of others as well

Was not just 85's being sold cheap.

Class 37's at £45

Desiros at £89

03's at £35

44's at £40

and loads of others as well

Not necessarily any sign at all then that the ACs in particular are not selling well if they were piling diesels just as high and selling low and yes I think they must be show only prices. They couldnt serve buyers fast enough on Saturday.......

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

Might be a bad sign for anyone looking for Bachmann to produce any more AC electrics - did anyone else get a Rail blue E numbered 85 from The Signal Box stand at Warley for under £40! The sales staff told me they were very poor sellers and "just needed to clear the stock". I'm happy though!

Bachmann seems to be getting into a bit of a habit in releasing locos in slightly esoteric liveries and variants amongst the earlier batches rather than the most common versions.

Presumably it's a tactical decision to try and maintain future sales as the liveries people really want come out. For me the best seller amongst the 85s might well be electric blue with SYP, there's been no Class 40 with discs in green with SYP, we've only now got a Class 108 2-car DMU in green with SYP, the railfreight red stripe 47 chosen - 47301 - has the one-off white line at solebar level, and still no BR Blue Class 47 with headcode, serck grills, TOPS numbering and central BR logo, just to name a few...

Bachmann seems to be getting into a bit of a habit in releasing locos in slightly esoteric liveries and variants amongst the earlier batches rather than the most common versions.

Presumably it's a tactical decision to try and maintain future sales as the liveries people really want come out. For me the best seller amongst the 85s might well be electric blue with SYP, there's been no Class 40 with discs in green with SYP, we've only now got a Class 108 2-car DMU in green with SYP, the railfreight red stripe 47 chosen - 47301 - has the one-off white line at solebar level, and still no BR Blue Class 47 with headcode, serck grills, TOPS numbering and central BR logo, just to name a few...

Slighltly off topic but very related, one could argue that this is why Hornby haven't done the Large Logo Class 56 yet.

Not necessarily any sign at all then that the ACs in particular are not selling well if they were piling diesels just as high and selling low and yes I think they must be show only prices. They couldnt serve buyers fast enough on Saturday.......

Yep,

I've just belled them, and they're defo show prices......sod it!

It's always the same, if you find you're self looking at an engine trying to justify the purchase, just bloody buy it!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

A very good point Brushman.

An AL6 (Class 86) with SYP would have been my choice as I saw these new dragged through Derby from Doncaster by steam locos incluning B1s - so no need for OH lines eh?

• Like 1

Ive just had my BR Blue 85 back from RBW, had it weathered just like the real loco's prior to withdrawal. Can highly recommend Richies work. It really makes the loco look realistic, just hoping that more ACs are developed in the coming year to the same high standards as the Bachmann model.