What loco would you own?

If it was me with big deep pockets (one day god willing) id pile a lot of cash into the baby deltic, class 15 and co bo projects, only proviso is I can have a drive! Also I think id just have to have a class 40, mainline registered so I can have a bit if a jolly outing.

Now wheres my lottery tickets....

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'd be going for a Highland Railway loco, maybe a Loch or Ben, perfect for use on preserved lines. How we managed to loose such a raft of beautiful locos is beyond me...

Andy G

As this is dreaming it would have to be a V3 or a Caley River. Having said that without very deep pockets I would never want to own one for all the regulation, cost and care that is needed to keep them in good order.

Ah but, Duncan, you're not supposed to take this thread seriously  :sungum: 

Mine would be a class 170, suitably converted to provide a Pullman class interior in one car, sleeping and bathroom accommodation in the other and the ability to turn down all the lights to the bare minimum.

A go anywhere executive train with which to roam the entire network (preferably via obscure freight only railways), at obscure times of the day, from where I would sip fifteen year old malt whiskey on a cold winter's night, in the lap of luxury, as I observed my progress from one end of the country to the other.

• RMweb Gold

I am really struggling with this question. Just so many to choose from.

UK locos, I would probably opt for the W1, mainly for its looks. I might compromise on some of the mechanical issues to make it easier to run.

But, by a small margin, I think I would want an SNCF 240P.

Archived