What loco would you own?

Mine would be a class 170, suitably converted to provide a Pullman class interior in one car, sleeping and bathroom accommodation in the other and the ability to turn down all the lights to the bare minimum.

A go anywhere executive train with which to roam the entire network (preferably via obscure freight only railways), at obscure times of the day, from where I would sip fifteen year old malt whiskey on a cold winter's night, in the lap of luxury, as I observed my progress from one end of the country to the other.

I wonder what would happen if the network was open to this kind of traffic. An interesting scenario and one I would be attracted to, but I'd probably have a Class 73 and some Pullmans... the other end would be a 5BEL power car...

Out of all the UK Outline trains I would want to own, I WANT A CLACTON! An original series one to be specific. I'd restore it to it's original condition with wrap around windows, BR Maroon external colour scheme and original interior. It would be such a beautiful train to operate. Speeding through stations at 100 mph, listening to those traction motors whir all in style (as long as the Maroon gleams in the light). What if the line I'm running on has no or incompatible electrification? One of the Mk1 coaches in the middle of the set (with a big generator and giant batteries stuffed into it!) will back up the set and I'll be on my way in quite literally no time!

post-32712-0-18360800-1512812276_thumb.jpeg

Or I can just model it!

EDIT: If you are interested I have blueprints!

Well, in a way I already do. :rolleyes:

Being a member of the Class 20 Loco Society we already own 3 x Choppers. And a 20 would be my choice of loco...

steve

First loco I stepped onto at Mantle Lane as a trainee 2nd man in '78, sadly I couldn't tell you which one. But here is 20067 on the shed side road in July 1978 so that will do for me.

post-13564-0-30113800-1512813266.jpg

45150 a close second as it was the last one I drove.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

A Class 142 and a 507/508 for posterity. Trains I travel on regularly that are soon to be gone. :(

Proper locos I would go for something that seems to be unwanted such as one of the unrestored Barry wrecks. Most probably a Merchant Navy. Or the remains of the Crab and build the rest from scratch.

As a new build, then a Claughton or original Royal Scot.

Oh for a lottery win....

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Taff Vale 'A' class as rebuilt by GW, BR unlined black unicycling lion livery, round topped tanks, and a replica set of non-gangwayed Colletts for it to haul.  To haul regular excursions on the South Wales Valleys network.  To my view the ultimate South Wales 0-6-2T, powerful, compact, and with enough stability to run well downhill.

• RMweb Gold

OK - I can only narrow it down a bit...

FS so I could treat it as it should be, return it to an A1 and paint it the proper colour. I would then take massive pleasure in battering those godawful elephant ears into razor blades.

4489 - a loco that good looking needs to come home and be a runner

D16 - new build obviously.

J69

J50

Nurse!!

Out of all the UK Outline trains I would want to own, I WANT A CLACTON! An original series one to be specific. I'd restore it to it's original condition with wrap around windows, BR Maroon external colour scheme and original interior. It would be such a beautiful train to operate. Speeding through stations at 100 mph, listening to those traction motors whir all in style (as long as the Maroon gleams in the light). What if the line I'm running on has no or incompatible electrification? One of the Mk1 coaches in the middle of the set (with a big generator and giant batteries stuffed into it!) will back up the set and I'll be on my way in quite literally no time!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Or I can just model it!

EDIT: If you are interested I have blueprints!

It exists in O gauge already - the 309/1 2-car set anyway

32406048778_b1c9a0c673_m.jpg

OK - I can only narrow it down a bit...

FS so I could treat it as it should be, return it to an A1 and paint it the proper colour. I would then take massive pleasure in battering those godawful elephant ears into razor blades.

4489 - a loco that good looking needs to come home and be a runner

D16 - new build obviously.

J69

J50

Nurse!!

Oh no!

I'd have FS and have it sectioned to demonstrate how a steam locomotive works and present it to the NRM to display at York.

Then I'd have a new build A1, say "Great Northern" to act as a memorial to Gresleys family of Pacifics.

Archived